Ignition switch R&R

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Have to replace the ign switch in my Demon and wondered how much of a pain in the butt this is gonna be. Does the steering wheel have to come off?

That lock plate is a ****; search in here, after reading later threads, maybe I'll try it again.

There's a little collar around the hub of the lock plate. Once that's pried off you can drive the roll pin out.

Ultimately you need to get to a release button to get the lock cylinder out.

collarimg.jpg

lockmechanismimg.jpg

There's a little collar around the hub of the lock plate. Once that's pried off you can drive the roll pin out.

Ultimately you need to get to a release button to get the lock cylinder out.

The only reason for driving the retaining pin in is because you don't have a key.If you have the key put pressure on the retaining pin and turn the key until the pin depresses and remove the cylinder.Follow same process to install new cylinder.8) It's been a long time,not sure if you have to turn the key clockwise or counter clockwise.8)

The only reason for driving the retaining pin in is because you don't have a key.If you have the key put pressure on the retaining pin and turn the key until the pin depresses and remove the cylinder.Follow same process to install new cylinder.8) It's been a long time,not sure if you have to turn the key clockwise or counter clockwise.8)

That's even better :) Now, if it's the actual switch Ironmike's got to replace then we're back to tearing things apart.

Yep. Gotta replace the whole thing. I do have a key for the old one, and of course, for the new one too.
Maaan! Everything is so difficult with these cars.

Couldn't find any instructions online.....of course.

This car is so nice. 57,000 orig miles and runs like a raped ape, but I'm tempted to sell it this spring and go back to what I know.

Yep. Gotta replace the whole thing. I do have a key for the old one, and of course, for the new one too.
Maaan! Everything is so difficult with these cars.

The retaining pin in the lock cylinder will depress with the key turned to the on position. The plate with the wheel lock pin in it wont need to come off if you have a small pick to slip under it and press that cylinder pin. May sound greek right now. It'll come clear when you get in there.
Sure you'll need half your toolbox to get the job done but...
do a switch r&r on a Ford tilt column . There are some tiny roll pins in there and without experience you would think they need to come out. After you loose one and invent new curse words you'll figure out they didn't need to come out.

-
Back