Ignition System ??

-

MoparLvr

Reaction score
Hi folks
I need some help figuring out whether my ignition system is right for me. When I got my mildly built 340 done the engine builder convinced me to go to electronic ignition from dual point. The orange box with stock coil was decided on. I heard a lot of bad things about this system and have been reading up on FBO systems. (Ya I know I should have done this before the fact). Does anybody recommend this system? I don't intend to race... much therefore I'm not interested in MSD system. What I really want is a good reliable system that won't be the weak point of my build.
340 .030 over
Stock mildly ported x heads
10:1 comp
RPM air gap manifold
TTI headers
600 holley VC
3:55 suregrip
4 speed

Your thoughts/ comments are much appreciated
Bill

I think your ignition is fine. You really want to concentrate on the distributor itself. A stock electronic distributor usually puts too much advance if it has the vacuum advance option. There are hundreds of posts here about dialing in the advance, how to limit the amount of advance, and how to change when it comes in.

I've been running a FBO for a few years now. There a better box than the Orange and about equal to a Chrome box. Very good stuff. Don's equipment gets my vote.

The orange ECU will work just fine in your application and is certainly an upgrade to your point ignition.
From experience, alwasys carry a spare ECU and ballast resister in the glove box just in case. You know the old saying, if you have it, you will never need it.

Thanks for the advice guys. It's new so I've had no problems to speak of yet. I did check out FBO's sight and their comprehensive testing of different combinations was quite an eye opener. It seems like the orange box system among others is starting to break down before the engine even comes close to it's potential. I guess the big question is will the butt dyno be able to tell the difference? I was planning on buying a spare but thought it might be a better idea to upgrade and keep my orange box and ballast as a spare.

Bill

I ran fbo on the street for about 4 years. The only thing that ever happens is the ballast pops. I spaced mine out from the firewall about 1/2 inch so it had some air circulation behind it and they lasted much longer.In fact the current ballast in the car is still the same one I put in about 2 years ago.

I run an FBO system right now and am very happy. Also ran an orange box back in the old days. Never had issues then either. Unless the box is actually failing, I doubt very much you'd feel any seat of the pants difference - especially if you're not racing. I agree with 63dartman that you should focus on dialing the distributor in.

I run an FBO system right now and am very happy. Also ran an orange box back in the old days. Never had issues then either. Unless the box is actually failing, I doubt very much you'd feel any seat of the pants difference - especially if you're not racing. I agree with 63dartman that you should focus on dialing the distributor in.

I noticed an immediate difference in seat of the pants power/torque with the fbo. Im a big fan of FBO ign and will be contacting Don with regards to my big block needs.

In fact start ups and idle quality got better as did fuel mileage.

I am going to get him to recurve the dist for me this time.Did it myself last time but never welded up the slots in the advance

If you are going to buy a spare, get a chrome box. Use the chrome box and use the orange one for a spare. The chrome box is rated to a higher RPM (8000 vs 6000). These boxes do fail from time to time so it is worth it to have a spare.

On my 416 there was no difference between the FBO ignition and the Accel coil and chrome box I got a AZ for like $30. Car ran 11.1's. I've run the MP race distributor but currently just use a lean burn. The timing is all on the crank. This dist. has no vac or mech advance.

Hi folks
I need some help figuring out whether my ignition system is right for me. When I got my mildly built 340 done the engine builder convinced me to go to electronic ignition from dual point. The orange box with stock coil was decided on. I heard a lot of bad things about this system and have been reading up on FBO systems. (Ya I know I should have done this before the fact). Does anybody recommend this system? I don't intend to race... much therefore I'm not interested in MSD system

You don't have to race to take advantage of the benefits of an msd system..i switched over years ago from the mopar stuff right off the bat..quicker starts,cleaner plugs ,better seat of the pants performance i've run their system.. billet dist.,6AL box,coil on 3 different cars..very happy with the results..

-
Back