Ignition systems OEM or?

-

Illahe

Mopower
Reaction score
I've been running a recurved Chrysler oem distributor with an upgraded module. It started slow, until I installed a 12 volt bypass to the coil on "start mode." Is the oem voltage at the coil 6v? And is their a way to pair a hotter ignition with the oem distributor.

I've been running a recurved Chrysler oem distributor with an upgraded module. It started slow, until I installed a 12 volt bypass to the coil on "start mode." Is the oem voltage at the coil 6v? And is their a way to pair a hotter ignition with the oem distributor.
The stock Chrysler ignition wiring is supposed to bypass the the resistor in start. Was it not doing that? It also helps to know what we're workin on here.

The stock Chrysler ignition wiring is supposed to bypass the the resistor in start. Was it not doing that? It also helps to know what we're workin on here.
I get that there is an oem bypass. Its a 69 dart. Dig deep...Is the system 6v while running?

I get that there is an oem bypass. Its a 69 dart. Dig deep...Is the system 6v while running?
Dig deep? What? You didn't ask about RUNNING voltage. You didn't specify running voltage. Here's your quote: "Is the oem voltage at the coil 6v?" If we start assuming what you meant, we might get it wrong. That's why we need all the info we can get. We're still assuming a lot since we still don't know what ignition you have....so I'm assuming it's factory Chrysler. Is that a safe assumption? Remember, while you know your car, we do not.

The RUNNING voltage depends on which resistor you have. Usually it's around 8v running. Yes you can run hotter voltage by running a different ignition that fires on 12V, such as the GM HEI conversion. The Mopar style boxes must use a resistor or they will burn out.

Dig deep? What? You didn't ask about RUNNING voltage. You didn't specify running voltage. Here's your quote: "Is the oem voltage at the coil 6v?" If we start assuming what you meant, we might get it wrong. That's why we need all the info we can get. We're still assuming a lot since we still don't know what ignition you have....so I'm assuming it's factory Chrysler. Is that a safe assumption? Remember, while you know your car, we do not.

The RUNNING voltage depends on which resistor you have. Usually it's around 8v running. Yes you can run hotter voltage by running a different ignition that fires on 12V, such as the GM HEI conversion. The Mopar style boxes must use a resistor or they will burn out.
Now were getting somewhere. I get the ballast was dropping voltage. My apologies for not being clear...The system is not an oem harness. Yet it follows the schematic. You answered some of my questing by identifying the 8v limitation of the oem box.

Can a 12v ignition module be ran with the oem distributor? It seems lower voltage would create a weaker spark. As for the GM adaptations, I'll pass. Mopar or No car...

Now were getting somewhere. I get the ballast was dropping voltage. My apologies for not being clear...The system is not an oem harness. Yet it follows the schematic. You answered some of my questing by identifying the 8v limitation of the oem box.

Can a 12v ignition module be ran with the oem distributor? It seems lower voltage would create a weaker spark. As for the GM adaptations, I'll pass. Mopar or No car...
No one makes a Mopar style ignition box that I know of that runs off of 12V, no. All of them require a resistor. The way the Mopar system works, if you want a hotter spark, you get a hotter box, but they all require a resistor. There was the stock blue box, then the orange box, then the chrome box and finally the gold box. I cannot remember if the gold box required a resistor or not.....I believe it did. But I do know it was so hot that Mopar said not to idle it for extended periods....in other words it was not for the street. But the chrome and gold boxes are very hard to find now. I run the HI Rev7500, which is made in USA and good quality. Although it's blue in color, it's "somewhere" between the orange and chrome box for secondary voltage, but it still requires the resistor. You CAN run a coil that's a straight up 12V coil that's not for use with a resistor of you want, but you will burn up the box sooner or later.

No one makes a Mopar style ignition box that I know of that runs off of 12V, no. All of them require a resistor. The way the Mopar system works, if you want a hotter spark, you get a hotter box, but they all require a resistor. There was the stock blue box, then the orange box, then the chrome box and finally the gold box. I cannot remember if the gold box required a resistor or not.....I believe it did. But I do know it was so hot that Mopar said not to idle it for extended periods....in other words it was not for the street. But the chrome and gold boxes are very hard to find now. I run the HI Rev7500, which is made in USA and good quality. Although it's blue in color, it's "somewhere" between the orange and chrome box for secondary voltage, but it still requires the resistor. You CAN run a coil that's a straight up 12V coil that's not for use with a resistor of you want, but you will burn up the box sooner or later.
Thanks! Sad Direct Connection doesn't support anymore. Is the High rev 7500 the one 4 seconds flat sells?

Thanks! Sad Direct Connection doesn't support anymore. Is the High rev 7500 the one 4 seconds flat sells?
No, Rick Erhenberg sells them on Ebay and Jegs sells them too. I actually got mine off Amazon and it came in a Jegs box. Here it is at Jegs. Clearly says "Made in USA" and that it's "comparable to the chrome box".

Points or Chrysler ECU:
Coil start up is at battery voltage. If the voltage during start is less than 9.5 Volts, starting will be more difficult. Voltage at the battery drops during start up, so if you measure before and after its not that informative.

Coil while running will be system voltage reduced by some amount. That amount will depend on the the current draw of the coil, the resistor, and the resistor temperature. 8 to 11 Volts is a range I'd expect. To measure accurately at the coil use a scope.

Chrysler ECU during startup will see slightly less voltage than battery voltage. How much less depends on whether it uses an auxillery resistor.

ECU 4 pin, running sees system voltage on the power feed in.
ECU 5 pin, as above plus running voltage on the fifth pin is reduced by the auxillery resistor.

Points or Chrysler ECU:
Coil start up is at battery voltage. If the voltage during start is less than 9.5 Volts, starting will be more difficult. Voltage at the battery drops during start up, so if you measure before and after its not that informative.

Coil while running will be system voltage reduced by some amount. That amount will depend on the the current draw of the coil, the resistor, and the resistor temperature. 8 to 11 Volts is a range I'd expect. To measure accurately at the coil use a scope.

Chrysler ECU during startup will see slightly less voltage than battery voltage. How much less depends on whether it uses an auxillery resistor.

ECU 4 pin, running sees system voltage on the power feed in.
ECU 5 pin, as above plus running voltage on the fifth pin is reduced by the auxillery resistor.
Thank you for taking the time to break down the function of the ignition module.

-
Back