Ignition trouble shooting

-

eh!body

Reaction score
I've just finished a 440/slant 6 conversion in my 75 Granny Duster. Installed an A-833 rather than auto. Original steering column. Used the original harness cuz apparently you can. All hooked up and ready to crank but no go. Starter is good. Power to the relay. I think I have the neutral s switch in the right spot unless there is something in the column that I don't know about. Where do I start to track down the problem. Greetings from Winnipeg.

No go "what?"

You have power in the car? Headlights? Parking lights? Turn on the key to "run" do the gauges move, or warning light(s) on the dash work?

It won't crank?

If you have power "in the car" but it just won't crank, then it's a neutral safety switch issue. Look at your starter relay, should be two "push on" terminals. One should go down the firewall, into a little harness that previously hooked to the transmission. Unhook that wire, and hook a short ground wire to that push on terminal.

Don't hack up the rest of that harness. You can use the remaining two wires to hook to the reverse light switch on your 4 speed. It had three wires. Originally the outer two at the trans connector operates the backup lights, the center one went up to the starter relay.

Didn't the clutch pedal have a switch on some cars? Which when pedal is depressed the relay is grounded.

Connected the terminal to ground. Nothing. Dash lights work. No fan no radio no brake or marker lights. Power at the alternator starter and starter relay. I have one black wire with a fusible link that seems t have no home. There is a crimp connector on it but I don't recall where it came from.

Did the electrics work before you dropped the 440 in?

Unfortunately there is no later model shop manuals I know of to download. The wiring about 73 or so starts to change, and 74/5 is much different. You can go to MyMopar and download simplified diagrams which are not very complete:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1975/75ValiantA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1975/75ValiantB.jpg

I do have a '76 manual, (paper) might be able to post some of the wiring, but the way the later stuff is drawn, it's more difficult.

If you can show a photo or more closely describe the wayward wiring, I might be able to steer you

Yeah, I've missed something. I have some diagrams to refer to. Thanks for the links. Electrical was fine when I drove it in to the shop. I can't help but think it has something to do with the column and taking the shift lever out of it. Onward!

Not unless you've bumped something like tore a wire loose in the ignition switch connector. The only thing the column shifter did was move the transmission. Both neutral safety and backup lights by then were on a switch on the transmission.

I found my problem. Remember my mystery wire? Well in my excitement to plug everything back in and get cranking, I missed that there was a wire broken off in one of the bulkhead plugs. Good for me that it was simple. The grounding of the nss terminal worked also thank you for your time. Tonite I crank and plug my ears.(open headers:)

-
Back