I'm confused.

-
Ford = Fix Often, Repair Daily ......Found Outside Rotting Dump....Ford Owners Recommend Dodge

I can call my "Cuda" what I like.....never cared too much about "feelings" considering what people call "men" these days.

I grew up a chevy guy. 72 chevelle, 71 monte carlo many years ago. Also drove a couple of 5.0, 5 speed fox body mustangs. This is a really trivial thing, but I notice that everyone seems to be ok with calling pre 1970 barracudas "cudas", which they aint. Back in the 80s, I knew guys that had A body barracudas, and E body cudas that were offended if you didn't keep the names straight.
So what the hell?

Funny... I'm not "offended" by it, but you'll never hear me call my '65 Barracuda a "Cuda. I used to find it confusing, and I was forced to ask what year back when I was first getting into them. I don't consider A bodies 'Cuda. I think even the '69 was more of a marketing deal to couple the "slang" term for the Barracudas with the new-for-70 E body version. So A's are Barracudas or Valiant Barracudas and the E bodies are Cudas to me.

887D2410-727A-4D32-8ADF-864A4BC4526D.jpeg
Didn’t this come out in 68 for the 69 year.

Among the Second gens, the 69 is a special year; you could buy all three variants; Barracuda, Formula S,and 'Cuda. A Cuda was basically scooped S with a 4-speed, and a twist. Some parts of the A53/A56/A57 packages could be had on a standard Barracuda.

Among the Second gens, the 69 is a special year; you could buy all three variants; Barracuda, Formula S,and 'Cuda. A Cuda was basically scooped S with a 4-speed, and a twist. Some parts of the A53/A56/A57 packages could be had on a standard Barracuda.

‘69 ‘cudas could be had with either automatics or 4-speeds just like any other vehicle in the Barracuda lineup. The only exception to this was the 440 ‘cuda which could only be had with an automatic.

I've had CUDA on the license plate of my 64 Barracuda since 1972. The Plymouth dealership for the town I grew up in had a 1964 Barracuda drag car and in 1967 and 1968 it was white with big red and blue billboard letters down the side that said CUDA. As was previously mentioned, they were called Cuda's since 1964 and Plymouth adopted the name to use to differentiate models in 1969.

From '64-'68 they made only Barracudas. From '69-'74 they made both Barracudas and 'cudas. A 'cuda was always the more hi-performance model.

And then there was the slide of the Cuda name. I know in 73 (not sure about 72 & 74) there were some Cuda'a produced with 318's and 3-speeds on the floor. There were not many built If I remember correctly there were only 37 built in 73. My son happens to have one. Before we learned how rare it was we had already changed the floor and junked the 318 and 3-speed.

Here is a picture of EJ Biggers' car from 1966 in CA. Of course it couldn't be a Cuda yet because 1969 was the first year for Cuda! Oh ya, it raced against the 1965 Kandy Kuda too.

055b0ff27d9014bc09a6102f02ce24c4.jpg

You are hung up on the script on the fender. Get over it. The fender script saying it is a "Barracuda" doesn't mean it is not a "cuda". Despite what the script says, any "Barracuda" is a "cuda". Maybe this is an old-timers point of view since we were there in the beginning and younger men only see the fender script.

After my grandfather gave me the Barracuda he would always ask how the old Dodge is doing, he was a Dodge guy from day one, the 20's into the 80's.

Maybe it was regional, never heard anybody comment on it being a Barracuda and not a Cuda.

From the day the Barracuda name was adopted (and the Panda dropped) the factory was calling it a Cuda.

Alan

You are hung up on the script on the fender. Get over it. The fender script saying it is a "Barracuda" doesn't mean it is not a "cuda". Despite what the script says, any "Barracuda" is a "cuda". Maybe this is an old-timers point of view since we were there in the beginning and younger men only see the fender script.
No, I'm not hung up on anything... just telling you what the manufacturer called me them, officially. You can call 'em whatever you want, and it really isn't bothering this 62 year old.

Last edited:
-
Back