I'm in the parts store today and this guy says...

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
So I have to wear a tie to work. On my lunch break I'm at my local parts store picking up some supplies to swap out my radiator and do an oil change. I notice this other customer kind of watching me and the counter guys.

He said: "You buying stuff for an oil change?"

I said: "Yes."

He said: "You don't look like you could do an oil change. Wearing a tie and all."

The counter guy said: "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, ya dip ****."

(I assume he knew the other customer also)

when he said: "You buying stuff for an oil change?"

I would have said: who wants to know?

that was very bold of him to watch you and comment when none of it is any of his business, for that matter even the counter guy would be overstepping to ask what you are doing with the items. :angry1:

I can relate though because I wear a suit to work everyday but usually I get that reaction from my friends when they find out I have a fully equipped body shop at my house and I like to get dirty with my old cars. :burnout:

The one and only FABO story that ends with the parts counter guy saying something intelligent.

Thats a little better than calling a parts store to try to get a distributor cap. Give him the Delco part number and he says I need to know what it is for. I say 1948 Oliver tractor he says who makes that I say just lookup the damn number I gave you. He says well who makes Oliver I hang up and have the same luck at other stores but Napa finally looksup the part number after the first who makes it.

I would have told him, "nope, changing out the water pump" Here's your sign.

Genius of him to figure out your project all by his self!!! Must be bucking for manager, that one!!! Or CEO, I mean, he's that good!!!....

I'd have told him "NO, we're filming some hard core gay **** torture flix in my basement, you need work?"

The one and only FABO story that ends with the parts counter guy saying something intelligent.

No kiddin. I went into my local Oreillys just yesterday and asked for a brass 1 5/8 freeze plug. "What year and kinda car?" They never cease to amaze me with stupidness.

Should have told him the tie is because you're working on Rolls Royce and that it's more convenient then trying to find a rag to wipe your hands on.

Should have said, "No, your Mom asked me to pick up some stuff when I left the house this morning."

Back when I used to work at Napa in my younger days, there was a banker who always came in to get odds and ends parts for a Hemi Willy's gasser he was building. Was always funny to see him in his suit head to toe, buying oil and grease and all kinds of other things. Shouldn't ever judge a book by it's cover. I walked into a dealership to buy my 70k dollar Shelby wearing stained up jeans, and a ripped cut off T-shirt. I enjoy making people scratch their heads.

Back when I used to work at Napa in my younger days, there was a banker who always came in to get odds and ends parts for a Hemi Willy's gasser he was building. Was always funny to see him in his suit head to toe, buying oil and grease and all kinds of other things. Shouldn't ever judge a book by it's cover. I walked into a dealership to buy my 70k dollar Shelby wearing stained up jeans, and a ripped cut off T-shirt. I enjoy making people scratch their heads.
Funny thing is I have had sales people blow me off for how I dress when I go to buy big items.They say I will be right backand run after the nice dressed couple. I then find someone else on the sales staff to make my purchase while half the time the nice dressed people didnt buy anything.

I run into the dummies at the parts store all the time, but I have such low expectations that I'm never disappointed. However, Back in 2004 or so I was at the local dodge dealer buying performance parts from my friend that ran the shop, and while there a very frustrated tech came in looking for more brake fluid, saying this *** of a client with a 70' challenger kept coming back every few days with the brakes failing. The tech couldn't understand why, the wheel cylinders were dry, wheels were dry, nothing on the ground. I offered to look at it, and he sneered at me, saying who the hell are you supposed to be? My buddy told him he appears to need help. and Tim is OLD!
he said fine, I walked out to the car opened the door, and he said what the hell are you doing? I reached down and pulled the carpet back, and asked him if he knew there was a seal in the rear of the booster as well? The floor was filled with brake fluid.

he pooped his pants, worried what the owner would say, but He never said a foul word to me again.:supz:

Never judge a book by it's cover. Jay Leno wore a suit to work. I'd love to have his garage. My nephew is a car guy, also a vice president in a bank. Sam Walton drove an old Ford pickup. Just a few examples.

I would have said, "Your wife was a little dry when I left last night, so I figured I'd get something to lube her up." Here's your sign!

Isn't that the truth. As a parts guy,it truly amazes me how some of the new hires have zero automotive knowledge. It seems if you can work Windows & a mouse,you're a parts guy. Had several well dressed customers that were smarter,than some of the techs. Amazing ,some of the knowledgeable people out there.

It's like most of these big box guys just don't even WANT to learn anything. If they cannot punch it in the computer, they don't give a damn. I always like learnin new things. I think we gotta whole generation or two that just doesn't give a damn.

My buddy is an investment portfolio manager and has restored about a half dozen cars over the years. His shop is spotless as is his suit on Monday morning.

Got asked a few times over the winter when I was trimming the trees on our roadsides what I was doing, polishing my car became the standard answer. Got called a smart-*** several times. Much rather be a smart-*** than a dumb-***....

-
Back