im not to pleased

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
as the title says. as some of you know i am a commercial lobster fisherman i have been doing this for 20 something years .the season started last monday morning been fishing now for over a week without knowing what i will be paid for my product i just got a notice today that the shore price is 2.75 per ound for canners which is a smaller lobster and 3.00 per pound for market lobster which is a larger lobster.this is bullshit 20 plus years ago i got 3.50 and 4.00 per pound. it cost me over 700.00 per day for fuel bait and wages not counting ware and tear.lobsters are 10.99 per pound here in the stores wtf.what i want to know what the price is in your local store if you guys see lobster in your supermarket could you post the price here.fu@#$in spam is 5.00 per pound here.we are near ready to react in a non friendly way with our bottom feeding scum sucking millionair lobster buyers rant over

Just called the local store and asked prices. They do not have whole lobsters only small tails that they are selling right now. They weigh 3-4 Oz is what the lady told me and are $6.99 Each

Not sure what price at store is but at my fav restaurant lobster is 55$

Times are tough. Lobster is expensive for consumers to buy so it probably aint sellin much.

Times are tough. Lobster is expensive for consumers to buy so it probably aint sellin much.
you are right on times are tough but the market looks strong i dont want to get rich i need 3.75 to 4 to break even. lobsters were 11.00 all winter but when our season 26a opens they go to 2.75 but are still 15.00 plus in the city stores.everyone is makeing big money off lobster but the guy who goes out and gets them.

you are right on times are tough but the market looks strong i dont want to get rich i need 3.75 to 4 to break even. lobsters were 11.00 all winter but when our season 26a opens they go to 2.75 but are still 15.00 plus in the city stores.everyone is makeing big money off lobster but the guy who goes out and gets them.

Yup I agree that is a crock of **** right there. You should be making more than anybody in the chain.

i feel for ya jimjim,the guy that has to work the hardest to get it from a to b is definately getting the short end these day i own my own trk and flatbed trl and the rates to me have went down substantialy this last yr while my operating cost have skyrocketed.

i feel for ya jimjim,the guy that has to work the hardest to get it from a to b is definately getting the short end these day i own my own trk and flatbed trl and the rates to me have went down substantialy this last yr while my operating cost have skyrocketed.
i feel bad that this is happening in your industry also i dont know how you truckers do it with the price of fuel. i pay 1.14 per litre and i am road tax exempt. these boats are over a quarter milsky and nothing fancy just a work horse battle axe. and trucks must be near that much also

Hey Aaron;

I am not sure what the price is where I buy mine but usually if the fishermen are getting $3.25 a pound I get them from the wholesalers retail outlet for $5 to $5.50 per pound. The season just opened here as well so I know the price will be low.

Jack

A fellow I worked with in the past owns and operates in PEI lobster boats.. He was telling me before that aswell.. Even over the past 4 years its not been the best for profit.

i live on the west coast lots of commercial fisherman here not sure how many do lobsters but crab is the real only thing that gets evreyone going big time. i think cus the price diffrence between crab and lobster maybe crab is more profitable? mmmmmm dungenous

I feel for you. When I made good money I use to eat Lobster often. Know it is very seldom that I get to eat it.

I will look and see what they are here, A first day and no Lobster
May the Lobsters fill your baskets next day out Jim

I see the middle men are doing there normal part even in your line of business Jim........................ Bring home a boat loud next outing May the Lobster gods be with you.. Do you go out tomorrow Jim ?

I feel for you. When I made good money I use to eat Lobster often. Know it is very seldom that I get to eat it.
i know the consumer is paying top dollar for this product. we the fisherman would not ***** about price if the consumer was getting a fair shake. the price is still the same as when we got 6.00 per pound.

I will look and see what they are here, A first day and no Lobster
May the Lobsters fill your baskets next day out Jim

I see the middle men are doing there normal part even in your line of business Jim........................ Bring home a boat loud next outing May the Lobster gods be with you.. Do you go out tomorrow Jim ?
thanks memike yes we r going back out tomorrow morning but we are leav eing our boats tied to the wharf on wed for however long it takes hopefully no longer than a week. you may as well sit idle than work ilde

Are you allowed to sell your lobster direct to the public? I am not far from the shrimp fleet here and they sell their shrimp to the wholesalers and also to the public. Better price than the store, like half what the retail stores get.

Are you allowed to sell your lobster direct to the public? I am not far from the shrimp fleet here and they sell their shrimp to the wholesalers and also to the public. Better price than the store, like half what the retail stores get.
yes we can do whatever we want with them but there is hundreds of fishermen and peddelers doing that now and i live on an island with a pop of 100 thousand so the local market is small.

Sounds like the lobster fishing is a lot like farming. Tailgate prices for many commodities are not much more than they were 40 years ago!
I hope that prices improve for you.
C

yes we can do whatever we want with them but there is hundreds of fishermen and peddelers doing that now and i live on an island with a pop of 100 thousand so the local market is small.
How about getting some of your fishing buddies together and start selling them direct and by mail order? Become the Northern Lobster shippers. Just a thought.

looks like there is price fixing going on from the big guys and there the ones that grease the polititions palms things are not good here now government wont help .and the peifa thats the pei fishermans association that we are forced by government to join or they will take our tax exempt cards from us are just as useless as tits on a bull .i will keep you guys up to date.things are starting to heat up.

new update all 1100 pei fishers are tied to the wharfs and nova scotia and new brunswick ane following suite we will leave the lobsters in the ocean we are not giving them away anymore if there is no price increase by tuesday all pei traps will be landed we are asking 1999 price of 5.00 per pound.in the pics we have all processors blocked of with our boats so no trucks of lobster can be delivered.this is a peacefull protest .there is a meeting in charlottown today and fishers from all 3 provincess will attend i will keep this updated.

Attachments

• 20130508_133220 (375x500).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 20130508_133239 (375x500).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 20130508_133303 (375x500) - Copy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 287
Good luck with your fight! I for one know how hard you guys work as I spent a day on a lobster boat setting traps on the first day of the season. You guys deserve a lot more than you get as that was the HARDEST thing I have ever done and you guys do it every day. Perhaps some of the people selling lobster need to spend a fewq days out on the deck of your boat so they might understand better?

Good luck with your fight! I for one know how hard you guys work as I spent a day on a lobster boat setting traps on the first day of the season. You guys deserve a lot more than you get as that was the HARDEST thing I have ever done and you guys do it every day. Perhaps some of the people selling lobster need to spend a fewq days out on the deck of your boat so they might understand better?
thanks it is very physical work we just want enough to pay the ever increassing expenses

-
Back