im not to pleased

-
That sucks man you guy's work hard for your $$$$!
I just put a order in a friends inlaws fish lobster and crab, i got 12 3lbs lobsters for $115.00 and 5lbs of crab for $35.00.
Hope you win your fight !!!

In all fairness to Aaron's point, the prices I listed are local prices and the local market is a very small part of the total retail market. They have to sell them cheaper here because we can go to the fisherman and buy them at his price which is usually 50 cents per pound more than what the buyers give him. So the profit margin for retail here is much closer to the buyers price at the wharf. I think that makes sense. Maybe not.

I saw a flyer for a local supermarket and they had them on sale at $5.77/lb for market lobster.

I agree with Aaron that we have the best lobster in the world in this area, I think the spring lobster from the Bay of Fundy is by far the best lobster on the planet. I have eaten fresh caught lobster from a lot of places and none compare to here.

Jack
thanks again jack sometime when you come to pei you should try some south side lobster yum and i agree fundy lobster is as sweet as candy

I am 1000% on your side.
thanks mad dart
here in Cincinnati, live lobster is $26.99 a lb.
you can't get any way but cooked here. they do it on the spot.
this is what im saying if the fisherman cant get 4.50 to 5.00 out of that 26.99 maybe we should end this industry.this is a billion dollar industry and we get maybe 12 per cent of it
If you buy some gunbunny, tell them to cook them like this. 12 minutes for the first lb a lobster weighs, then 2 minutes extra for every lb after that. So if you have a 4 lb lobster you would cook it for 18 minutes after the water starts to boil. If you have 10, one lb lobster you would cook them all at the same time for 12 minutes. Make sure they either use sea water to cook them in or use lots of salt, and I mean lots. In a 5 gallon pot, I will use over a cup of salt.

Jack
jack is right on the money again this is how you get a nice sweet lobster

This situation stinks, and I for one (of many I'm sure) hope that the prices improve for you right away!

Thanks for yoUr hard work to bring this tasty treat to us!
thanks for your support
Well Aaron I figured you were in this PEI mess, you could even call it a "f***en" mess...wish you all the best and hope you guys win at least something cause they are definitely trying to rip you guys off and ruin the fishery. Hope to see you in July.
Oh by the way for mothers day weekend lobsters go for $5.77 per lb here too
thanks jean-guy and your right this is a f in mess and we are in deep now
Wishing you the best of luck. I love lobster, haven't had any in quite some time and on my imitation crab meat budget I probably won't be eating any soon.
based on the price we get everybody could eat it whenever they feel the need thanks for your support

Are you guys still allowed to buy right from the fisherman? They stopped that practice down here a few years ago. Some fishermen still do it but if they get caught they can loose much more than just lobster so most fishermen don't even bother.
J-G
this is just another way to control the little guy

That sucks man you guy's work hard for your $$$$!
I just put a order in a friends inlaws fish lobster and crab, i got 12 3lbs lobsters for $115.00 and 5lbs of crab for $35.00.
Hope you win your fight !!!
thanks so much and enjoy those tasty crustations

what i want to know what the price is in your local store if you guys see lobster in your supermarket could you post the price here.fu@#$in spam is 5.00 per pound here.

It usually averages $19.99 a pound here, 1.5 pound lobster=30 bucks. I understand shipping and all, but damn.

I grew up on the coast of Maine and got really used to going to the local market and buying lobster very reasonably. Needless to say I don't eat them as frequently as I would like too.

It usually averages $19.99 a pound here, 1.5 pound lobster=30 bucks. I understand shipping and all, but damn.

I grew up on the coast of Maine and got really used to going to the local market and buying lobster very reasonably. Needless to say I don't eat them as frequently as I would like too.
you can ship a lobster anywhere in north america for less 0.50 per lb and thank you for the support.

I guess this is probably stupid of me. What would it cost to ship lobster? If it is 0.50 cents per pound maybe a few hundred FABO members can buy 20 lbs from you. One hundred members times 20 lbs each = 1 ton. I know it's stupid I guess, but if it would help you out, why not?

Good luck with your plight. I have never had lobster but I have heard that Canadian lobster is the best.

I guess this is probably stupid of me. What would it cost to ship lobster? If it is 0.50 cents per pound maybe a few hundred FABO members can buy 20 lbs from you. One hundred members times 20 lbs each = 1 ton. I know it's stupid I guess, but if it would help you out, why not?

Good luck with your plight. I have never had lobster but I have heard that Canadian lobster is the best.
thanks for trying to help but these prics are based on 30 ton loads and even if i wanted lobster no boats are leaveing until we get this settled .

OVER 3000 BOATS tied up in the maritimes hopefully maine will follow suite. we will win this war.there is a fisherman meeting at 7pm at beach point wharf to find out what happened with the big wigs i will update later.

Here is an interesting article about the Maine fisheries. It seems their prices are much lower than yours at this point, as low as 1.50 per pound. It states in the article that organized "strikes" by the lobstermen can be illegal.

If I know my fellow maineiacs, they will sit back too. I hope you guys win this one. If I buy a lobster out here for 20 bucks a pound, I want to know that the guys and gals going after them are making their fair share. I have been out on the boats several times with friends of mine that owned boats when I still resided in Maine, it's hard work for sure.

http://www.workingwaterfront.com/articles/Lobstermen-Stop-Fishing-Due-to-Low-Prices/14922/

Here is an interesting article about the Maine fisheries. It seems their prices are much lower than yours at this point, as low as 1.50 per pound. It states in the article that organized "strikes" by the lobstermen can be illegal.

If I know my fellow maineiacs, they will sit back too. I hope you guys win this one. If I buy a lobster out here for 20 bucks a pound, I want to know that the guys and gals going after them are making their fair share. I have been out on the boats several times with friends of mine that owned boats when I still resided in Maine, it's hard work for sure.

http://www.workingwaterfront.com/articles/Lobstermen-Stop-Fishing-Due-to-Low-Prices/14922/
this was last july and softshell lobster which is not fit for human consumption. thanks for the interesting read and support

"Lobstermen along much of the coast have voluntarily stopped hauling in an effort to offset a glut of lobsters in the market. A combination of an unusually early season and large catches of shedders before peak demand has driven prices down to their lowest levels in decades."

The price reduction at the barrel-head is not transferring to the consumer. Retail prices on lobster have not dropped.

"As independent business operators, lobstermen are prohibited by anti-trust laws from organizing large-scale strikes to stop fishing.

On Monday, Maine Department of Marine Resources Commissioner Patrick Keliher warned fishermen that an organized work stoppage may be illegal. "

In steps Big Brother. The government already pays people who don't want to work, but it will penalize you for doing the same thing. Bassackwards.

The best thing for you guys to do at this point, in my opinion, is to reduce your take. That will provide you with some income, but also serve to increase your prices. Remember, you don't have to sell anything at a price determined only by one party.

Whatever you do, do not prevent boats from moving freely. That will only result in the authorities getting involved.

Dang with 3000 boats tied up they are gunna feel it big time. Great job of you guys sticking together! I do know around here Steak & lobster dinners are well over $60.00 and the lobster is a puny Lil sucker. Prob 6oz at the most, 5 or 6 small bites and that's it.

I am very interested in updates as well. Hate to see you guys getting a raw deal.

Didn't catch the date on the article. Anyway I was in the grocery store yesterday and went to check the prices. They are now advertising the lobster as Canadian caught and the price is down to 11.99 a pound.

tignish pei and sea cow pond pei went fishing. the piece of **** bastards ruined it for everyone its all over but the cryin the price is even lower now i wish i had a tanker load of liquid **** now i would paint that pos town from end to end.just to make this clear only tignish and sea cow pond caved and a few nb ports left. pei and nova scotia held strong

still tied up down on the south shore, N.S.

what pisses me off is everyone promotes "buy local" but the restaurants that charged 29.95 for a lobster dinner 10 years ago when the price was 10.00 plus a pound, but now that its under 5 bucks the retail price is still 29.95 at most restaurants where steak is only 19.95.

one local retaurant owner in Pubnico gets them off the wharf and sells a lobster dinner in his own restaurant for under 15 bucks for a dinner

I don't know if its the store owners or the middle men that drive the final price though the roof, but the money should ber given to the fishermen. Some local guys in sou'west Nova would peddle fish out the back of their trucks for 5.50 to 6.00 bucks when market price was 4 or under. Had one buddy set up in Halifax on the strret corner and sell 500 pounds in an hour.....sure pisses the dealers off

still tied up down on the south shore, N.S.

what pisses me off is everyone promotes "buy local" but the restaurants that charged 29.95 for a lobster dinner 10 years ago when the price was 10.00 plus a pound, but now that its under 5 bucks the retail price is still 29.95 at most restaurants where steak is only 19.95.

one local retaurant owner in Pubnico gets them off the wharf and sells a lobster dinner in his own restaurant for under 15 bucks for a dinner

I don't know if its the store owners or the middle men that drive the final price though the roof, but the money should ber given to the fishermen. Some local guys in sou'west Nova would peddle fish out the back of their trucks for 5.50 to 6.00 bucks when market price was 4 or under. Had one buddy set up in Halifax on the strret corner and sell 500 pounds in an hour.....sure pisses the dealers off
nova scotia is a bunch of stand up guys and im not fishing until they go out to show support but this is over now all boats will be fishing wednesday.this is not over yet no tignish boats will ever fish tuna here again they will be taken care of.this is a small island.

-
Back