Im to young for this!!

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
Hi all just needed to vent. I was involved in an automobile accident June 5 this summer, I have been at physical therapy for a while now. I go 3 times a week, meeting with doctors all the time, and am currently not working. I am 21 years old and just found out today that I have multiple bulged and herniated discs with pinched nerves. I was rear ended leaving work and now over 2 months later no signs of progress in the future at all. Im to young, I went to school to become a police officer and now worried about my future career being in jeopardy due to someone rear ending me. I have been active in sports my whole life. I was always doing something active But am not stuck at home everyday watching tv and on FABO. I really don't know what to do anymore. Sorry for venting its just so frustrating, and depressing. I have my whole life ahead of me!!!

Those issues may still yet heal, but I would not push anything on the recovery process or try to speed anything up. A carear with the police is still possible. It just may take longer than expected to get there.

Hang in there man. It must have been a pretty bad car accident to cause that much damage. Sounds cheesy but at least you're still alive...

I have one bad disc and a pinched nerve that causes paralyzing pain at times, due to an old injury that I never took care of. Only recently I have realized that finding a good chiropractor is priceless. You have youth on your side. Hopefully you'll heal and regain your ability to do everything you want to do. Key thing is to stay mentally strong and be patient through the rehab process...

What really pisses me off is when my bad back stops me from working on my car!:banghead:

Scott

Just take your time man, heal up good, and u will be fine, my grandpa did that to himself a long time ago and eventually he served in the korean conflict and alot of other things. All things heal with time. Just take your time and dont rush it

I had a similar thing happen in 2004 and it hasn't been good for me. You have youth on your side and that is a major plus. I am in my 50s and overweight and that is a minus.

Best of luck to you on your recovery, you are young enough that things are in your favor. It seems slow now, but in the big scheme of things, it is not. It will work out.

I had a very bad motorcycle wreck, was forced to hit a car broadside @ 50mph when I was 21. (no place to go, except oncoming traffic, or get ran over in the other lane) It took a long time, but I recovered pretty much fully, and it hasn't ever kept me from doing what I want to do.

The key is determination. Whether you believe you can do something, or you believe you can't do something, you are right. I also agree with Mr Man. A good Chiropractor is priceless. I was shot twice (once in each thigh) and had to go through rehab to learn to walk again. Once I was back on my feet and using a cane, my limp threw my back out of wack and caused a bulging disk and nerve damage. The doctors already had me on neurotin for the nerve damage in my legs and told me the only thing they could do for my back was surgery. Screw that! I went to a chiropractor every day for a week and then twice a week for a month and haven't had any trouble since. That was 11 years ago. Talk to your physical therapist about it, most doctors will not recomend a chiropractor, but they do miricles. The first visit they take a lot of x-rays to make sure it is something they can handle without doing any more damage, if they don't, find one that does. Good luck to you, and don't give up on your carrer choice, be strong and you will find a way.

I know its going to be a long tough road its just upsetting knowing that I cannot play sports, I have been playing since I can walk and being told that I cannot do it doesn't sit well with me. AT ALL

Sorry to hear about your acciddent.
The only one who can determine what you can or not can do is you yourself.
Since you´ve been into sports for a long time you got a strong health to help you recover. Now is the time to use your experience with the training.
I´ve had issues with my back since 25 years and the only thing that helps, is to do the workout at the gym.
Keep your spirit up, and keep fighting.

I had the same thing happen when I was 45, rear ended. I was good after 6 months therapy, was still a little sore. 3 years later, fine. Now 59, can feel it when I turn my neck too far...

I was in a car that rolled 12 times end over end in high school, lucky to be alive. Suffered for a long time without doing anything about it cuz I was "too tough" to complain about it. Finally, when I started falling down randomly I was sent by a friend to a chiropractor. OOOOHHHHH YYYYAAAAHHHHH!. Forgot what it was like to be able to move pain free. I used to go 2x per week. Turns out I had a bulged disc at L5 and severe sciatica (sp?). About 5 years ago I bought one of the Teeter hang ups where you can either hang from you ankles or recline to just about any angle. Well I keep that in the bedroom and pretty much every night before bed a quick 5 minutes upside down to kind of "reset" my back and man it pays big dividends. Now I only go to the chiropractor when I do something stupid in my neck and can't seem to get it worked out. For what it's worth, I play competitive softball 2 nights a week in the summer and volleyball 2 nights/week in the winter. I am also an electrician by trade and have helped all of my friends build everything from 3k square foot houses to 10k sqaure foot shops and have poured concrete on the side as well. Sure, some days are a ***** and I have to spend a little extra time throughout the day stretching, but I can still run circles around some of the younger guys at work who can't seem to run their mouth and hands at the same time.
One thing that I will caution you about is the pain meds. Be careful taking them, the pain is there to remind you that you're doing something stupid and you need to back off. I never take any pain meds until the work is done, and even then I try and skip them as much as possible.

The best motivation for me has always been someone telling me that I can't.

Keep your head up, it's a long journey but a hell of a ride!

One thing that I will caution you about is the pain meds. Be careful taking them, the pain is there to remind you that you're doing something stupid and you need to back off. I never take any pain meds until the work is done, and even then I try and skip them as much as possible.

Very true words.

I agree with 12-valve that using a traction device at home every day could help. Everyone is different, but it's worth a try. Find out what works for you. Stay positive, attitude is everything, keep on steppin', man.

thanks for the concern about the painkillers, I know i have to be careful. I have lost a few friendships and good friends over people abusing them. I go to meet with the dr to further review my mri on thursday. Any good questions you guys can think of that I may want to ask the Dr.?

-
Back