Improvements On A Classic Car

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We've all seen the negative nellie how to ruin a classic muscle thread or whatever it is. How about a positive spin?

It doesn't have to be an original "muscle car" per say. Might be just a base model like Vixen, my 64 Valiant. But whatever it is, what are some of the things you would do to make it more of what you like?

We've all seen the negative nellie how to ruin a classic muscle thread or whatever it is. How about a positive spin?

It doesn't have to be an original "muscle car" per say. Might be just a base model like Vixen, my 64 Valiant. But whatever it is, what are some of the things you would do to make it more of what you like?

For me, put a V8 in it.

First, I'll say consider two things when starting on a classic car.
  1. How long are you planning on keeping it and what will the effects be on the resale value if selling is in the future?
  2. Build it to make YOU happy, because if everyone else loves your car and you don't, you won't be happy.
I like roadkill style cars/builds. Always have. Always will. Now you ask, "what would I do" ??? Answer is simple: I'm doing it! :)

I have been contemplating a trans swap.
I know where I can get an adapter to put a T5 in my car......
...to replace a completely non synchro three speed in my car with the 4.68 rear gear.
A 1933 Imperial.
Would make a world of difference in drivability. Straight 3ights don't like a lot of rpm.

Sounds like what I'm fixin to start. A T5 swap in Vixen. I have the adapter, so now it's all on me. I think I am gonna wait until I get the custom axles for the 9" and then start. That way, I won't need to make but one drive shaft.

Modern brakes, first thing that must go is the single pot master cylinder, disc brakes are a big plus, but may not be an absolute must unless the intention is to significantly increase the power. Improving the handling should be high priority as well. Further down the list is creature comforts like a/c and cruise, but good seats are important for me. Overdrive trans is a good plan, you're already on that road Rob.

It should leak oil. (Or not)

Make smoke , out the exhaust or off the tires.

Some chrome but not to much.

Wing windows.

Done.

I hate to admit it but I kinda liked that Cuda. Not that I would do it myself because I really like my cars to look stock .
Front and rear sway bars on all my builds from here on out. And warm up the engine a bit to maximize efficiency. Maybe OD trany due to the high freeway speeds now.

For my Charger, I have done the following:
Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass.
Extensive sound deadening.
Classic auto air.
Tremec 5 speed.
Electric trunk latch.
AM/FM/CD/MP3 player.
4 wheel power disc brakes.
Battery in trunk.

For my Charger, I have done the following:
Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass.
Extensive sound deadening.
Classic auto air.
Tremec 5 speed.
Electric trunk latch.
AM/FM/CD/MP3 player.
4 wheel power disc brakes.
Battery in trunk.
Tell me how you like the 5 speed? What gear did you go with?

I absolutely LOVE the car now. I've mostly had automatics my whole life but have had a few manual transmission vehicles.
The Tremec TKO 600 has the 2.87 first gear and the .64 5th. The car is fun to drive and cruises much smoother on the freeway. It was surely faster in the quarter mile with the 727 but I don't drag race the car anyway.

I absolutely LOVE the car now. I've mostly had automatics my whole life but have had a few manual transmission vehicles.
The Tremec TKO 600 has the 2.87 first gear and the .64 5th. The car is fun to drive and cruises much smoother on the freeway. It was surely faster in the quarter mile with the 727 but I don't drag race the car anyway.
Cool. Mine is a 95 Tremec/T5. It has a 3.35 first and .68 5th. That oughtta work pretty well with a slant 6.

I should also mention the frame connectors, torque boxes, bigger torsion bars, sway bars, HD leafs, Bilstein shocks too.
The wife and I never had kids....our money is spent on just us.

what I've done to our current dart. think we have owned it about 12 years now.

first order of business was front big bolt disc brakes. rebuilt the front end at the same time. RMS upper arms and adjustable strut rods along with 1" torsion bars.

second was 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gear, large bolt pattern axles and 11" drum brakes. did the painted steel wheels at this time also. along with a 225/60-15 tire all the way around. id have gone with a 17 or 18" rim/tire combo but damn those are expensive for ones that look like steelies and accept dog dishes.

third was a set of stock height eaton rear springs.

fourth was to tear out that slant six and install a 360/904 combo.

next was front sway bar and headlight realys.

next will probably be a quicker ratio steering box. and better shocks.

Last edited:
01C38236-5330-4DC2-BD11-C1A7F17EEBF8.gif

-
Back