Improvements On A Classic Car

-
It is.
My Charger has 3.55 gears and 28" rear tires. It didn't scream at 75 but it was humming along at 3000 rpms. After swapping to the Tremec 5 speed, that dropped to 2000 rpms. What a huge difference in how the car feels. It is quieter, smoother, it feels far more livable. I don't know the difference in fuel economy but it should have improved by some amount. The final drive in OD for me is 2.27.
I had a Gear Vendors with a 727 for awhile. Axle gearing was 3.91 then so the final was 3.05. Even that was a huge change.
I've got 3.91's would the gear vendor be a good investment to lower rpms?

I've got 3.91's would the gear vendor be a good investment to lower rpms?
It does help. The GV overdrive ratio is only .78 but it is better than nothing. The 3.91s are reduced to a 3.05 when the GV engages.
My GV unit was finicky though. It would sometimes stay engaged even as I came to a stop. It was supposed to engage at some speed over 45-47 mph and disengage somewhere below that but mine was an early unit. Later models had improved electronics.

I think the single biggest item that can make a car feel more modern is overdrive. Then better brakes. Next, on my list, would be a planted suspension and quality tires. That would include better steering. After that, HORSEPOWER.

Then the comfort amenities, AC, cruise control, things like that.

I prefer the classic styling, but enjoy and feel safer with some of the more modern technology (radial tires, front disc brakes, electronic ignition, etc...).

I have a friend with a '63 Dodge 440 (383, 4-bbl, push button auto, 3.23:1 8 3/4") that refuses to update his braking system (4-wheel drums with single jug master cylinder), bias ply tires, etc... He says it was good enough in 1963, it's good enough now.

I have a 48 willys with 4-wheel drums, and a single master.
The brakes are 100% of what they can be.
One day a lady decided to dead stop in the middle of the road, we were only going about 25 mph, my old willys would not stop, had to drive over the sidewalk to miss the dumb b*tch, the SUV behind me done the same maneuver.

Drum brakes on all 4-wheels will not stop a vehicle, better yet get them wet, no braking power.

Firm up the power steering and get modern alignment in the front end. Disc brakes at least in the front but keep them manual, power brakes are overrated. SWAY BARS. Stiffer springs.

My Duster in my avatar can do quick emergency lane changes at 90 mph. I feel like a fricken superhero driving that thing I constantly have to tell myself to take it easy or I'll end up with a fat ticket, or dead/in the ICU. 1.14" torsion bars, front and rear sway bars and 18" wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06 tires will do that lol. It's like a big go-kart.

There are some that will insult you for your choice of wheels and tires. I am not one of them.
The dudes that like to stop quickly and corner fast can appreciate the shorter sidewall tires.

0733E170-EFCB-483C-890C-D9907F98987C.jpeg

Last edited:
The biggest issue I've seen with cars is people making huge projects out of them. They need to sit back a little and take the car out, even if it's not "perfect", and enjoy it.

I've set myself a rule. Anything that I do to my car is going to have a time limit to how long it's going to sit around and not be drivable. Most of that time, I keep my down time to a day or two.

Point is, too many cars sit in the garage in various states of disassembly for years, when if they set their sights just a little more realistic and didn't take on too much at once, the car could be driven and enjoyed.

That's what I did. Bought a running car and the 1st thing I did was strip the body down and take the interior out. Spent a **** load of Money on cosmetic stuff then got burnt out and old . Ending up selling it for about half of what I spent on it.

Firm up the power steering and get modern alignment in the front end. Disc brakes at least in the front but keep them manual, power brakes are overrated. SWAY BARS. Stiffer springs.

My Duster in my avatar can do quick emergency lane changes at 90 mph. I feel like a fricken superhero driving that thing I constantly have to tell myself to take it easy or I'll end up with a fat ticket, or dead/in the ICU. 1.14" torsion bars, front and rear sway bars and 18" wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06 tires will do that lol. It's like a big go-kart.

Had those 18" Continentals on my old 2004 BMW 330Ci convertible. Handling was exceptional, but that thing also had the optional sport suspension. That was a fun car...It was HEAVY, though and you could feel it, especially going from a 2000 Miata to the BMW. The BMW was probably 1,500 lbs heavier...both were great handling cars, though.

That's what I did. Bought a running car and the 1st thing I did was strip the body down and take the interior out. Spent a **** load of Money on cosmetic stuff then got burnt out and old . Ending up selling it for about half of what I spent on it.

My cousin had kinda the same issue. Was hell-bent on building a perfect resto-mod, ended up way over his head and it went nowhere. I told him many times just get the damn thing running and enjoy it while you make it nicer. Eh idk he's not the wrench-turning type anyway, he can do it but definitely doesn't enjoy it. Whenever I'm out having fun with my "imperfect" car I rub it in his face lmao.

Had those 18" Continentals on my old 2004 BMW 330Ci convertible. Handling was exceptional, but that thing also had the optional sport suspension. That was a fun car...It was HEAVY, though and you could feel it, especially going from a 2000 Miata to the BMW. The BMW was probably 1,500 lbs heavier...both were great handling cars, though.

They're awesome tires I love them. I'm pretty sure they're OE for a lot of German sport/luxury cars, makes sense. They ain't cheap though, I was gonna get Generals but my neighbor sold me a pair of lightly-used Contis for super cheap and I bought the other 2. Ended up costing me the same as a set of 4 Generals in the same size lol.

Only thing I don't like is the sidewalls are pretty soft, I need to dial in some decent camber because they roll over like crazy in reality hard cornering without it. Alignment gets really important on these modern low-profile tires to get the most out of them.

15" steel wheels look cool but my car is just on another level of handling and control with these I'll never go back lol.

The last car was a weekend racer. For this one the goal is reliability and comfort. Last year was engine detailing and top end upgrades plus modern wheels and tires. Now I am doing a front disc brake swap, headlight relays, more modern radio, rebuilding seats. Oh, and it has working factory A/C. Hopefully it will be able to make the 8 hour drive to Carlisle this year.
View attachment 1715868392

Oh? I see a Street Demon... Great choice as they're wonderful carbs. I've been using mine since 2016, put over 35,000 miles on it since I installed it as she's a daily driver. As much as I love these carbs I do plan on doing a EFI swap soon as I want to do cross country touring. With altitudes ranging from 10,000+ feet to sea level. I'm living at 4,500 feet now.

@MopaR&D
I currently have 17 inch Riken Raptor's (HP all seasons) on my duster
R:255/50R17 and F:225/50R17
I've been looking at Generals or Continentals as well once these guys wear out. The Raptor's were... OK. On dry pavement they're awesome, with good control on turns & twisties. On wet roads their performance is average.
And they suck in anything over 2-3 inches of snow. Hence why I have dedicated winter tires.
My Duster.jpg

I have a friend who has had an 47 Ford or Mercury 1/2 ton sitting in his back yard for about 40 years now, in pieces. He will do some work on it here and there, but I doubt that it will ever be on the road again in his lifetime. He built a motor for it about 20 years ago that is still on the stand, has never been fired, has bought parts that are scattered all around his garage over the last 10 years, but just never seems to have the motivation to get it done. He is a journeyman mechanic, retired from a great paying union position with a huge pension, so money isn't a problem.

-
Back