In 73, did the gas tank vent to a charcoal cannister?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
I was over at a friend's house looking at my car and we found a hose that was plugged off. This was on the passenger side of the engine bay and ran back down the frame rail.

My friend's dad said that this hose may have gone to a charcoal cannister and the previous owner had plugged off the vent tube and tossed the cannister.

And would this cause a problem with fuel pressure? I saw a few threads about people using old fuel filters to vent the tank and keep out bugs.

Carb bowl vent and fuel tank were plumbed to a charcoal can.

I was over at a friend's house looking at my car and we found a hose that was plugged off. This was on the passenger side of the engine bay and ran back down the frame rail.

My friend's dad said that this hose may have gone to a charcoal cannister and the previous owner had plugged off the vent tube and tossed the cannister.

Your friend's dad is correct.

And would this cause a problem with fuel pressure? I saw a few threads about people using old fuel filters to vent the tank and keep out bugs.

If the cap was not replaced with a vented one, fuel starvation will be an issue. Yep, using a filter on the vent works fine.

If the cap was not replaced with a vented one, fuel starvation will be an issue. Yep, using a filter on the vent works fine.

ok i'm gonna give that a try and see what happens.

The hose was just capped with a bolt. There might be a possibility that i got my car so cheap because the owner couldnt figure out how to fix the stumble. The carb looks like it had been cleaned recently. :toothy10:

We still had the canister, but it was gone on the inside.......Kept the hook-ups to the can, and opened up the top vents.....car ran great.

Well i uncorked that vent line and went for a drive. Its made a substantial difference, but i still have a bogging problem going from 0-WOT. Before if i goosed the throttle it would sputter and die. Now it will spin the tires. However, going Zero to the floor still causes the car to sputter/die.

They started that emissions crap in 1970. I had problems a year later, in 1971. I pulled that electronic thing off, the cannister went. then I taught the engine that it was a 1968 model. Punched out the filler tube, to accept the leaded hose at the pump. Then, after seing that charcoal hose too many times, under the hood; went under the car, cut it in an area that was kind of waterproof from water splash, then shoved a sponge in it.
It worked great, the wife's daily driver for 10 years. I can't remember, but there is a box that looks like the voltage regulator, on the firewall. I can't remember how I cut it out, and bypassed it. I think I cut it out, and put the wires to the ballast resistor.
Anyhow, the car ran better than new. The tank had several hoses. I just left 1 with the sponge in it, to vent.

Another thing about the cap; Pull it off. Look at the inside flange, with the locking tangs. Drill an 1/8" hole in it, and you have a vented tank, now.

what cap? my car's charcoal cannister is long gone. I just had that hose and it was plugged with a bolt.

-
Back