In-dash tachometers

-
When I bought mine from the original owner back in 1979 this is the tach that was in it and still in it. Fender tag has tach on it so confident this is original to this car. Dash bezel is not original to the car since I had to undue the cut for KMart radio mistake made decades ago:

At least you got the 150 speedo with trip odometer.

At least you got the 150 speedo with trip odometer.
I bought car from the original owner who told me he special ordered the car and added all the options. Apparently he wasn't on a budget its a high option car.

BarracudaRadioACControls.jpg

If anyone has a 1967 or 1968 factory-tachometer-equipped Barracuda that they personally bought new, I'd like to hear their input.
There's a reason I was specific about this in my long previous post: If you didn't buy the car new, you have no way of knowing what was done prior to your ownership.

A defective part will usually reveal itself within the first year or two. In this case, the ink was barely dry on the calendar 1968 year-end paperwork before the tachometer part number was superseded. If the original tach failed in April of '69, the dealer would've replaced it with the only unit available at the time: the upright-numeral sidewinder 1969 part. If it failed a couple of years later, the owner may have DIYed it with a junkyard tach. No one can say for sure.

Am I saying a car couldn't have been built that way? Of course not. But if you didn't buy the car new or own a dated day-two photo of the dash, it can't be considered a solid reference point. By the same token, with currently-available information it's equally difficult to say it's wrong. Isn't restoration fun?!

There's a reason I was specific about this in my long previous post: If you didn't buy the car new, you have no way of knowing what was done prior to your ownership.

A defective part will usually reveal itself within the first year or two. In this case, the ink was barely dry on the calendar 1968 year-end paperwork before the tachometer part number was superseded. If the original tach failed in April of '69, the dealer would've replaced it with the only unit available at the time: the upright-numeral sidewinder 1969 part. If it failed a couple of years later, the owner may have DIYed it with a junkyard tach. No one can say for sure.

Am I saying a car couldn't have been built that way? Of course not. But if you didn't buy the car new or own a dated day-two photo of the dash, it can't be considered a solid reference point. By the same token, with currently-available information it's equally difficult to say it's wrong. Isn't restoration fun?!

Unfortunately you can always tell when something has been taken apart and put back together. Not too hard actually.

Not sure what this is about anymore?
67 was 1 year only, and I've yet to see differences from 68-9?
2 oem tachs cover 67-9.
We arent the orig owners(3rd owner), but we have the orig fendertag and tach is on it and in it.

Last edited:
Not sure what this is about anymore?
67 was 1 year only, and I've yet to see differences from 68-9?
Do 2 oem tachs cover 67-9.
We arent the orig owners(3rd owner), but we have the orig fendertag and tach is on it.
I'm with you. The more I understand, the more I'm confused. What @NoCar340 said made sense to me, but my experience with cars has taught me that there are exceptions to every rule.

From the showroom brochure dated September 1967.
IMG_20230207_101346127.jpg

My very late build '68 car.
100_0663.JPG

I used the radial tach because it matches the radial numbers on the rest of the gauges.

20230207_085130.jpg

Is 318-6 a date code? 318th day of 1966 maybe? That would have been November 14, right in the production period for '67 models.
Dunno, Im not a numbers guy. I cant remember who on here I got it from, but I recall they were up on their stuff.

Last edited:
-
Back