In dire need to borrow Milodon p/u 18343.

-

khuebner250

Reaction score
I need help finding or borrowing Milodons pick up tube for their road race pan part# 18343
I ordered from Summit on 12/8/18, and Mancini on 1/22/19 both have been cancelled. I've tried eBay, Amazon, Facebook market place, Marsh, Craigslist and Glendora Dodge to no avail. I've been getting the run around from Milodon for months. It's always 'waiting on materials, in process, should ship in 2 weeks, being manufactured now, just finished making some, blah blah blah'

I'm willing to make one at this point but wondered if anyone had one I could borrow to use as a template? Or if someone wanted to sell one I'd overpay at this point. lmk.
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:
Keith, what pan do you have? These are some smart guys here. If you post exactly which pan you have someone may know of another pickup that will work that's available.

Open a wanted thread in the parts wanted section.

Keith, what pan do you have? These are some smart guys here. If you post exactly which pan you have someone may know of another pickup that will work that's available.
I need the pick up for the 360 road race pan # 31595. Oil Pick up part number I need is 18343.

Why not just throw that million piece of junk in the trash and get a qaulity piece instead?

By the time you calculated in the oil that's gonna leak out of that pan, and the 3 sets of gaskets your gonna go through before it's good, you'll be money ahead

No I need the one for the 360 road race pan # 31595

I searched that pan part number and the pickup I linked to came up everywhere. Might give it a second look. The number you posted I found no where. I saw it on Amazon, too but the ad I saw said unavailable. Almost looks as if they've changed part numbers. Call Milodon and see what they say. I bet there's another number that'll work.

Why not just throw that million piece of junk in the trash and get a qaulity piece instead?

By the time you calculated in the oil that's gonna leak out of that pan, and the 3 sets of gaskets your gonna go through before it's good, you'll be money ahead

Oh that was a lot of help.

I was in the same situation I called them back in October 2018 I order it in July 2018, they told me I was a lucky one they had people waiting since Feb 2018. I returned the pan to summit and bought a kevko for less

100% agreed!
Oh that was a lot of help.
100% disagree...
I was in the same situation I called them back in October 2018 I order it in July 2018, they told me I was a lucky one they had people waiting since Feb 2018. I returned the pan to summit and bought a kevko for less
If I had to do it over again that's exactly what I would do. When mine had a factory leak and I called they said "oh no not again!" I highly discourage anybody from buying milodon pans after my experience...

Says a guy that doesn’t have one. I do, it works great.

And, what “quality” road race piece are you talking about? This isn’t some drag race deep sump stupidity. There’s nothing off the shelf that’s even in the ballpark for road race pans.

I need the pick up for the 360 road race pan # 31595. Oil Pick up part number I need is 18343.

Lemme check my build pictures, I may have some of that oil pick up. As I recall I had to modify mine anyway, it didn’t sit flat at the bottom because of the way it threaded in, and I had to move or add a mounting tab because I used it with a stock windage tray. I don’t know why Milodon is making the pan and not the pick up, but the pick up shouldn’t be that hard to make.

I searched that pan part number and the pickup I linked to came up everywhere. Might give it a second look. The number you posted I found no where. I saw it on Amazon, too but the ad I saw said unavailable. Almost looks as if they've changed part numbers. Call Milodon and see what they say. I bet there's another number that'll work.
If you can find one in stock, I'll give you a finders fee. Here is pic of the pick up for that pan.

Screenshot_20190411-100213.png

Says a guy that doesn’t have one. I do, it works great.

And, what “quality” road race piece are you talking about? This isn’t some drag race deep sump stupidity. There’s nothing off the shelf that’s even in the ballpark for road race pans.

Lemme check my build pictures, I may have some of that oil pick up. As I recall I had to modify mine anyway, it didn’t sit flat at the bottom because of the way it threaded in, and I had to move or add a mounting tab because I used it with a stock windage tray. I don’t know why Milodon is making the pan and not the pick up, but the pick up shouldn’t be that hard to make.
Why is a deep sump oil pan for drag racing stupidity?

Also I was referring to their quality control not even mentioning the original poster was getting the complete run around by them.

Says a guy that doesn’t have one Anymore

i dont have one anymore
why not, you ask?

because it was a piece of crap
fitment was horrid, and leaks were rampant

now, i will admit, this was not a road race pan does that really matter? if you cant weld, you cant weld
(now, if i remember the story correct, they are no longer allowed to test their welds with solvent, so they fill them with water. if no water drips out, the weld passes inspection.
but just because it is water tight, does NOT mean it is oil tight)

now, as for an off the shelf replacement, what is it he needs? the added capacity or the higher ground clearance?
kevco has several that meet one of those, though not both (their high capacity is .75 inches deeper)

it almost looks like their circle track pan might work for him though

now, if the OP is dead set on keeping his milodon pan, i would suggest he goes out and buys a stock truck pick up tube and starts a hacking

Yes that's exactly what they said when I called milodon, they test with water because California won't let them test with solvents anymore...
And don't forget they also said "NOT AGAIN!"...

If you can find one in stock, I'll give you a finders fee. Here is pic of the pick up for that pan.

View attachment 1715317951

Have you checked with Hughes Engines? They still list them on their page, not sure about actual availability.
Hughes Engines

I looked for pictures, apparently I don't have them anymore. Here's a picture I found in autoxcuda's install thread showing the pickup

1_14_11sm10-jpg.jpg

On mine I had to move the mounting tab to work with the original 340 windage tray. Of course, I had to do the exact same thing on the pickup that came with my Kevko pan, same deal. And the Kevko one I had to bend to get to the right spec on the bottom of the Kevko pan, it was a good 1/2" off the bottom as I received it.

Why is a deep sump oil pan for drag racing stupidity?

I guess I shouldn't have singled out drag racing. Putting your oil pan below your K member is stupid. I mean seriously, you think that making your oil pan one of the lowest parts of your car is smart? Even on a car that isn't lowered that's not real bright. On something lowered and set up for handling like the OP's car it's flat out dumb.

now, i will admit, this was not a road race pan does that really matter? if you cant weld, you cant weld
(now, if i remember the story correct, they are no longer allowed to test their welds with solvent, so they fill them with water. if no water drips out, the weld passes inspection.
but just because it is water tight, does NOT mean it is oil tight)

now, as for an off the shelf replacement, what is it he needs? the added capacity or the higher ground clearance?
kevco has several that meet one of those, though not both (their high capacity is .75 inches deeper)

it almost looks like their circle track pan might work for him though

now, if the OP is dead set on keeping his milodon pan, i would suggest he goes out and buys a stock truck pick up tube and starts a hacking

Of course it matters that it wasn't a road race pan. You have absolutely ZERO knowledge of the oil pan being used. None. You had one Milodon pan, it was a completely different pan than the one in question, and you got rid of it. How long ago was that? I have a road race pan. The welds are great, it doesn't leak. It's one of the nicest oil pans I've seen, and I'll buy another for my Challenger when it goes back on the road.

The added ground clearance is nice, as the milodon road race pan actually sits a little higher than a stock pan. The additional capacity is a bonus as well. But the real improvement is oil control, the road race pan has baffles and trap doors to keep the oil near the pickup during cornering loads. Most of the other pans out there are built just to control front to back oil movement, not side to side. The OP has built the crap out of his car to handle, the pan makes perfect sense with his build.

For the Kevko pans, I seriously doubt their circle track pan will fit an A-body. That's just looking at them, you'd have to ask. They also have oil control set up for only one direction. Which makes sense for circle track and not at all for street, autoX or road race use. I have a Kevko pan too, just an M301 for some extra capacity on the 318 for my Dart. The welds on the Kevko look rough as hell, and the baffles and trap doors had sharp edges and slag that I had to clean up when I got it. I'm sure it will work, but it looks like a home built job. It also only has front to rear oil control, which is pretty useless for cornering. Honestly I'd fire up my TIG welder and build my own before I bought another Kevko pan. After cleaning up the work on the pan I got and modifying the pick up I probably could have built my own.

Of course it matters that it wasn't a road race pan. You have absolutely ZERO knowledge of the oil pan being used. None. You had one Milodon pan, it was a completely different pan than the one in question, and you got rid of it. How long ago was that?
3 years maybe?

the point i was trying to make is, these pans all start out the same
you got a stamped piece that is then welded to a fabricated piece

seeing how it is the welds that is in question, why would i expect one pan to be different from another? they are all welded the same way, at the same place, most likely by the same person, and here is the kicker, tested by the same fallible method

thats all i was trying to get at

I will check but I think I have same pan. And I may have a pix of correct orientation. I was looking at cutting my existing one and heliarcing it back in the configuration I needed. Denny at HDK ended up saving me so I did not need to. I will send you a PM if I still have one that could be made to work. I use Milodon on several rigs and like them and their functionality. And no leaks. Obviously not everyone has that opinion and or experience with them.

-
Back