In lust? 2.2 turbo

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont know what it is but Ive always really liked the Turbo 2.2 Mopars. Especially the Dodge Daytona Turbo Z's. Maybe because I like the movie 'The Wraith', there is just something about those cars that I REALLY like. Im always on the lookout on the net locally and around for a decent one forsale, when they come around (vary rarely) they are either complete basket cases or totally original/restored and way too expensive. I would love to have one that wasnt much to look at but is mechanically sound to drive everyday, I would HAVE TO be a 5 speed one of course... What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

This thing is amazing, and the price shows it. It is a CS though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Dayto...tr=true&hash=item2ee150cb6c&item=201348664172

Attachments

• 51759741.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 071.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 1a_85_Daytona_Turbo.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 353
  • turbo2.2daytona.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 338
I still have my original 85 1/2 Laser XT.

Made May 23 rd, I picked it up on June 6. One week after that the dealers put in orders for the new 86's. It stickered at $15,501,

The Laser XT was the counterpart to the Daytona Turbo Z with the ground effects spoilers and indroduced Flash Red color and the t-tops. It only came in Flash Red and Silver that year with standard digital gauges where 86 had standard analog gauges with digital optional. Dad wouldn't let me get t-tops as the camaros and firebirds with t-tops were notorious for getting stolen, so I got the sun roof and a 5 speed with black leather interior. It sits in my back garage today with 108 k on it...

Damn, that's an awesome story! What happened to them all? I cant imagine they made a ton of them to begin with (compaired to moostangs and crapmaros). Probably used up and thrown away like a lot of other great cars.. :( Im glad that you still have yours!

I always liked that color combo.

My dad had an 84 Laser XE turbo in that gunmetal blue color. He ordered it before he even saw what it was, he wanted the 2.2 turbo. He traded in his 81 Charger 2.2 for it...

I took my driver's test to get my license on his car (5 speed also). I had enough miles logged in on it, I wasn't even nervous to take the driven test with the stick shift... His had the gray cloth interior and digital gauges, and he picked up in mid fall. I remember around Christmas time the chip in the dash went out and the readings were crazy.... It would flash random numbers on the spedometer as you drove down the street. It wasn't logging all of the miles properly (usually less miles than actually traveled) until the dealer had to order a new chip for the dash with our mileage burned into it which took a week. So we got a week of "free mileage" that wasn't clocked on the odometer...

Dad traded that in for an 89 Lebaron GTC Turbo II with a 5 speed. Unfortunately I had to strip it with about 75k as the repairs were more than the car was worth, but I did save the engine and trans, but the trans needs a rebuild as it has a hard clunk in reverse. But it is the Getrag trans with the stronger gears. I could have used that trans in my Laser as I had many problems with mine. (Long story).

I bought a 40,000 mile drivable, wrecked '86 CS turbo in 1992.
Red with black leather, 5 speed, T tops.
I think, but can't prove it was one of the cover cars for the "buying a used Mopar" issue of Mopar Muscle mag.

I also bought an 84 Laser with a blown motor, to get the front sheet metal to fix the Daytona.

I had $1500 in both cars.

That car was super fun to drive, and I loved the T tops.

It developed an interesting quirk after about 8 months- it had a vacuum leak that I never could find, but it allowed the turbo to overboost, and just before the computer shut down the ignition, the leak would seal. PERFECT.

I later discovered a guy in the Miami area "invented" a device that caused this to happen on purpose...called "the widget".

At the time I had a 45 minute commute on I4, and there was a 300z that had a similar commute, that I'd sometimes get into it with. Those cars were pretty well matched.

Unfortunately I never had 30 days straight of being able to drive the car.
Numerous electrical and electronic issues, shifter linkage issues and more than one broken shift fork.

It also torque steered like a ****. If you were on the throttle and hit a wet patch on the road, you were instantly in the next lane over.

Finally met it's end when the front motor mount let go during a burnout and the half shaft and all the needle bearings got slung across and all over the intersection.

I still had fun with it, and I might consider another despite the reliability issues.

Unfortunately I never had 30 days straight of being able to drive the car.
Numerous electrical and electronic issues, shifter linkage issues and more than one broken shift fork.

I had nightmares with my transes going through shift forks.... Let me tell you a long story and one of my strikes against Chrysler...

I bought my Laser XT stated above brand new. My dad made a deal with me that if I could get on the honor roll senior year, I could get the new car of my choice.

After my girlfriend of 3 years started dating my best friend of 5 years behind my back, and subsequently I broke up when his younger brother ratted them out to me, I still made a 3.62 GPA senior year without any "blow off" classes. My counselor couldn't believe it and asked me how I could go through all that and still pull off good grades. I told him, "I'm not going to let that b!tch ruin my chance for a new car, she's not worth it..." :finga:

So I get the car and they literally had to move two others to pull it out of the showroom so I could drive it home.

I noticed that it wasn't shifting properly and took it back, they said that it was fine... A month or two later, it would grind every time I downshifted into second for a turn. There were no shift forks in the service parts, so they had to have an engineer at the transmission plant to go to the line and pull one off so they could fix mine. So with new shift fork and synchros, they sent me on my way.

I brought it back again, as it didn't shift right. Again they say that it's not a problem... Two to three months later... grinding into second for a turn again... Another new set of synchros and shift fork...

So by 16,500 miles, I have been through three sets of synchros and three shift forks. Now they are going to install a new trans. I saw in the MP book that they had a nice Centerforce clutch that was heavier duty than the stock one and supposed to improve the shift, so I asked the service manager if they could install that one. He said that if I paid for the clutch, that they would install it free as they already had to pull the trans... I also asked if they could install the new Getrag trans that was in the new Shelby turbo cars and they said "no".

I asked, "Why not because it will work?" sarcastically...

It helped, but by 22,500 I blew the new trans again.... So when I go to the dealer to get it fixed again, he had the Chrysler Zone rep there and they took a picture of me when I took it to the Mopar Nats launching off the line with me license plate in clear view - I could not deny that it was me....

They then told me that they don't warranty vehicles that are taken to the track. I asked Mr. Zone Rep "How many runs did I make?"

He replied, "I don't know, I was only there a half hour.. But I saw you take it down the track and beat on it, then get back in line for another run..."

So this a--hole goes to the Mopar Nats for only a HALF HOUR??? It was obvious that he was sent there to take pictures of everybody racing their new front wheel drive cars, so they could then try to cancel their warranty. (If I was sent to Mopar Nats for work, after I was done with my work responsibilities, I would have stuck around to enjoy the show...)...

I told them that they advertise these cars to compete with the v-8 Mustangs and Camaros, If you can't run with them, then give me my money back and I'll go buy one of those. So I left the dealer Service Manager and Zone Rep in a cloud of smoke as I burned rubber driving away...

So we had to park the car for a while. Then one day my dad calls up the owner of Cavanaugh's Motors in Monmouth, IL who he knew from his college days, they are a great dealer and go out of their way to satisfy the customer. That's who dad bought his laser from, instead of the local dealers near us...

Dennis tells him that if Chrysler hasn't sent us a cancellation notice in writing, they can't cancel our warranty. So we went to Bettenhausen Dodge and ran it and the warranty was still good. So Bettenhausen Dodge replaced the transmission again, and that one lasted until 86,000 miles before I had to get that one fixed myself...

I couldn't believe that Chrysler would try to deceive us like that to tell us that our warranty was no good and it really was to get out of their responsibility.

Many years later, I was reading a magazine who was interviewing one of Chrysler's head powertrain engineers who had left Chrysler, and he stated in that interview that those transes in my car were under designed and should not have been put into production.

So here they took short cuts and then tried to blame me for the problems... :finga:

This was my first new car, and this is just one of the many reasons that I will not buy Chrysler today. After my dad bought nothing but since 62, and I still tried to support them after that. Then I had another issue with my wife's 95 Neon that I had to butt heads with Chrysler to get it fixed under warranty. So I don't buy them anymore, as I am tired of fighting with them.... :violent1:

That car was super fun to drive, and I loved the T tops.

It developed an interesting quirk after about 8 months- it had a vacuum leak that I never could find, but it allowed the turbo to overboost, and just before the computer shut down the ignition, the leak would seal. PERFECT.

I later discovered a guy in the Miami area "invented" a device that caused this to happen on purpose...called "the widget".

When I worked at the engine plant, I knew a guy who worked there for many years, including when the 2.2's were made there. His son had a turbo car and needed a turbo. He "found" a couple of different turbos and tried to make one good one from them that would fit on their car. In doing so, there was something in the waste gate (I believe that he said) that when he put it together, it was putting out over 15 lbs of boost, maybe even up to 25 lbs. That thing ran great! He wasn't quite sure what did it, but the combination of mixing the parts for the two turbos ended up making a turbo with lots-o-boost.... :cheers:

Yea I've owned several turbo cars. The 2 I kept are the Turbo II Daytona and my 2.5 Turbo Shadow, can't find pics of the Daytona but here is the Shadow.

Attachments

• shad1s.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 300
Yea I've owned several turbo cars. The 2 I kept are the Turbo II Daytona and my 2.5 Turbo Shadow, can't find pics of the Daytona but here is the Shadow.

Cool!

I really enjopyed my Laser when I drove it. I could get 25-28 MPG in the city and 32-34 on the highway. My best economy was following my brother pulling a car on a trailer to Mopar Nats, I drafted behind the truck and got 36 MPG!!!

I could bury the speedo at 85 MPH at 3000 RPM in 5th gear... :cheers:

There was another kid at my local community college back then who also had a Laser XT just like mine. One day after class we were both going downtown Chicago and we were messing around on I-55, I had my speedo buried, and he told me the next day that we reached 105 MPH. His speedo would read over 85, but mine wouldn't (it was a law back then). He told me that there is a switch on the back of the digital gauges that if you move it to the other position will allow it to read above 85 MPH, but you have to pull the gauge cluster to flip it...

I never did get around to trying to do that to mine... :banghead:

Then I also liked to get it on the highway over 65 and then put the clutch in and coast, and watch the economy meter peg out at 99 MPG!!!

I had a 86 turbo Z, I bought it for 4000 with 40k miles on it.
I drove it for another 210K miles before the head gasket blew. I actually rolled the digital odometer at 199,999 mile and an asterisk lit up.

When I replaced the head gasket I noticed about 100 thousandth wear on both the cam and the rockers. I used nothing but Mobil 1 oil and changed it every 10k miles.

Shortly there after, the fuel rail leaked and the engine caught on fire I put it out with a can of soda, but state farm chose to total the vehicle and gave me nearly 2k for it. I always carry comprehensive insurance even if I don't carry collision.

Other than the head gasket I never had to do anything to the engine or the turbo, but the automatic trans went out on me twice.

Had an 86 Shelby Charger. Blue, 5 speed. Bought it new, had it for two years, went back to V8 cars after that.

Wow, all very good stories! Looks like they were pretty unreliable if you actually put them through the paces. How is it that an Omni Glh or Glhs is known to be a pretty good little runner? I know there's obviously a weight advantage, did they use the same transmission/engine as the 84-6 Laser and Daytona tz?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60b7f9uFSrI"]MotorWeek | Retro Review: '85 Dodge Colt Turbo and Daytona Z - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsQlmpQWQp4"]Dodge Daytona - Turbo Z - YouTube[/ame]

I love the styling but I'm just not a FWD man. I've seen plenty of FWD cars run good but I need a V8 and Rwd.

I love the styling but I'm just not a FWD man. I've seen plenty of FWD cars run good but I need a V8 and Rwd.

I don't mind Fwd, I'm sure it has its quirks but almost all the cars sold today are that way. I think a Chrysler Laser or Daytona TZ would be a cool car to have/drive/work on. Mileage is probably twice if not more per gallon with a turbo fwd mopar then my Dart/demon with a stock 318 (4 barrel, performer intake, hedders, 2.5 inch quiet exhaust) And after some reading over at turbododge.com, to get a 2.2/2.5 turbo to perform at least as well as a stock 340 still using pump gas, there's a ton you can do (especially with modern tech). Its all pretty cool to learn about at least!

Oh there's plenty you can do. I think with a stage 3 kit you can be north of 300 HP. In a small car like a Daytona Z it's a rocket.

A buddy of mine was trying to put a V8 in one. He probably still has all of the parts to do it.

Just sold this one to a friend of mine. I had it 15 years.

1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 5-speed and the 2.2 intercooled turbo.

Attachments

• 025 (Medium).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 028 (Medium).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 266
  • LeftRear (Medium).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 232
I was never able to get more than 22.5 MPG with mine, even with a light foot, o/d, and lots of highway driving.

The FWD Charger/Omni/Horizon/GLH(S) all had the same trans issues and electrical issues, but those cars are MUCH lighter than the G body Daytona. Box stock 13 sec quarter is pretty common.

I'd consider one of those from a purely performance and economy standpoint, but unfortunately I don't fit in the Charger body, and the turbo Omni/Horizon is much more difficult to find.

My brother in law used to own GLHS #3.

I'd consider one of those from a purely performance and economy standpoint, but unfortunately I don't fit in the Charger body, and the turbo Omni/Horizon is much more difficult to find.

Just out of curiosity, is this a height issue? I've run into a couple of Chrysler cars that I don't fit in either. I'm 6'4" tall, and I once tried to sit in a Chrysler Crossfire, but the panel under the steering wheel hit me mid shin with the seat all the way back. Kinda broke my heart, because I really liked the way the Crossfire looked.

My 84 got great mpg as it spent most of it life with me on the hook going back to dealer :banghead:!

My sister bought one just like the ebay add back in 86, and we ran the piss out of that thing. Fried the stock clutch in under 15K miles. It sure was fun to burn off those Goodyear's though.

Yep- no headroom.

60's and 70's Mopars have more headroom than comparable ford and gm cars, plus some even have those seat track spacers that can be removed for an additional 1/2 inch.

That was a significant part of my affinity for Chrysler products.

Not so, the "newer" ones.

I don't really fit in the Challenger/Charger.

My head is in the headliner unless I'm ever so slightly slouching.

Couldn't handle that on a 20-30K+ investment.

-
Back