In need of 360 info

-

slimjim

Reaction score
So how can you tell a magnum 360 block from an LA 360 block? I know that the magnum block doesn't oil through the head but I don't know what to look for to tell me which one I have. It's. 91 360. I just bolted up some Edie LA heads and it looks like the pushrod holes do not align perfectly with the lifters.

And can anyone give me the specs of the camshaft bolt? I need the thread count, size, length, etc.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

So how can you tell a magnum 360 block from an LA 360 block? I know that the magnum block doesn't oil through the head but I don't know what to look for to tell me which one I have. It's. 91 360. I just bolted up some Edie LA heads and it looks like the pushrod holes do not align perfectly with the lifters.

And can anyone give me the specs of the camshaft bolt? I need the thread count, size, length, etc.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

if the block is a 1991 block you have an LA block, don't think they made magnum 360 til 93

That's what I thought. Maybe the Eddie heads just require a little work for the pushrods? The heads hang off the block a little too. Maybe it's just me but something doesn't look right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 253
Lifter angle on the LA block is a little tilted to the pushrod. They did not change it from the original poly 318 block.

Looks like an LA roller like I have. What's the casting number on the block?

I don't have the number off the top of my head but you can kind of see them from this picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 250
That is an "LA" block. Note, there is no provision for the "Magnum" engine mounts on the block.

Push rod clearance issues are not uncommon. Though, are you sure you have the right rocker on the right valve?

Ok, what if I were to tell you that I just found the original pushrods that came from this engine and they are about an inch smaller than the crane pushrods I purchased from summit for an LA 360 and have a hollow core? I haven't mounted the rocker arms yet. The misalignment is just based off the angle from the lifters through the pushrod hole.

Do you see if this block has the correct oiling ports for an LA?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 182
checking the casting number and date of casting...on the side of the block.

99 magnum in my dodge 1500 ram has the ear or LA mounts on it...Just looked...

I don't have the number off the top of my head but you can kind of see them from this picture.

Look at the side of your block...you see 2 bolt holes just above the pan rail...plus another on the block...and they form a triangle...that is the magnum mount...

So here is the casting number (53006921360)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 160
And here is my pushrod clearance issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 170
the rivet side of the lifter probably goes to the block....

Do you see if this block has the correct oiling ports for an LA?
yes the oiling ports are there in your pic look at the top second headbolt hole back and there is a hole with a passage that runs down to the lifter bore that is the LA rocker oil passage see pic below i circled the area of the passage in red it will be on the rear of the block on the other side. and as far as pushrods most of the time you will need to measure the length for your application ive never found an off the shelf set that seem to work for my engines.. i recommend smith brothers. i just got a set from them 2 weeks ago custome ordered length and arrived in 2 business days and that was shipping from one coast to the other great people to deal with!!
that is 100% an LA block the engine bracket mounting bosses for the magnum mounts arent there!! ive never had a set of Eddy heads but i would certainly open up those pushrod holes yikes thats tight!!

Attachments

• 360 oiling.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 179
Have you tried a mock up assembly yet? The answer lies there....

89-91 LA roller block...ten seconds with google...LOL

Well that solved that issue. Thanks. Now does anyone have the info on the camshaft bolt? (I've looked everywhere for the bolt specs)

I don't have the rocker arms yet so a mock up assembly isn't really in the cards at this point. With the lifters reversed, the pushrod is actually able to operate however, it still has a slight angle to the lifters. I can probably file those pushrod holes a little bit for a better angle but before I start messing with an expensive set of heads I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

My factory cam bolt is a grade 5 it has a 5/8" head with a course 7/16"-14 thread overall thread length is 1 3/16" and bolt total length with head is 1 1/2"
torque spec is 35 ft/lbs. and dont forget a little blue loctite on the threads.

-
Back