In need of an education..340 vs 360.

-
2,400 pounds? Damn, My Duster is 3,300 pounds without me!

btw...I'm not dissing on my 360 either. I did say they run almost the same ET. The 360 does not have the cool factor of a 340 though. It can run several seconds quicker than a 340 and people will STILL be disappointed that it is a 360. You might as well tell them it has a Chevy 350 in it, lol...

My best friends, uncles, next door neighbors second cousin bought a 68 340 Barracuda off the show room floor that had to have 600 LBS of weight strapped to the front bumper cuz it would pop wheelies all the way into 4th gear! At least I think thats how the story goes.I Never heard the same about a 360 car though.LOL

Tell me how a stroked 340 to a 408 runs rings around a 360 stroked to a 416 also what you are saying is a stock 396 chevy can out run a stock 340? never happned and never will.One thing is what are you building it for makes a lot of differance
A 360 built the same way as a 340 will win every single time, all other things equal. I don't know where you got your information, but I'm sorry, you're incorrect. The 360's longer stroke means it will have more bottom end torque, leaving the 340 off the line and the more cubes will keep it pulling ahead. As the old saying goes, there's no substitute for cubic inches. It holds true every time.

Tell me how a stroked 340 to a 408 runs rings around a 360 stroked to a 416 also what you are saying is a stock 396 chevy can out run a stock 340? never happned and never will.One thing is what are you building it for makes a lot of differance

umm....what?

Have seen that done and the 340 won every time.That was tested right in are neighborhood in the late 70,s.And to tell you what they were they were to dusters built the same.So a 350 chevy with 10 more CI will out run a 340?You learn something new everyday.I wonder why they always seen my taillights HMMM I guess bad drivers.Also I wonder bill jenkins whooped in so many hemi's with a 331ci.My guess is bad drivers again. Mark
A 360 built the same way as a 340 will win every single time, all other things equal. I don't know where you got your information, but I'm sorry, you're incorrect. The 360's longer stroke means it will have more bottom end torque, leaving the 340 off the line and the more cubes will keep it pulling ahead. As the old saying goes, there's no substitute for cubic inches. It holds true every time.

Have seen that done and the 340 won every time.That was tested right in are neighborhood in the late 70,s.And to tell you what they were they were to dusters built the same.So a 350 chevy with 10 more CI will out run a 340?You learn something new everyday.I wonder why they always seen my taillights HMMM I guess bad drivers.Also I wonder bill jenkins whooped in so many hemi's with a 331ci.My guess is bad drivers again. Mark

Jenkins ran his stuff routinely past 8K. I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about vintage Pro Stock racing here.

The 360 easily bores .070 over to make a 416. I've done two, and two 408s as well.

That makes it as cool as a 340 stroked to a 416!

But .070 over...Ouch. No problems with them at all? Do you race them? If so did you fill the blocks? I assume that sonic checking beforehand would be an absolute must. Personally I would be more comfortable with a thicker bore than a few extra cubes but that's just me. :)

That makes it as cool as a 340 stroked to a 416!

But .070 over...Ouch. No problems with them at all? Do you race them? If so did you fill the blocks? I assume that sonic checking beforehand would be an absolute must. Personally I would be more comfortable with a thicker bore than a few extra cubes but that's just me. :)

Yup, I'd recommend a sonic check, no doubt. Most of them will go with no sweat. Think of it this way. .070 over is only .005" PER SIDE from a .060 overbore. Especially the 71-73 360s usually have no trouble....but the last one I did I raced hell out of and it is STILL running in the same configuration in a mud truck today. I owned it about 16 years ago.

here we go again.....not comparing apples to apples.....LOL! Guys....a stock 360 never came with high compression (10.5 to 1) nor did it ever come with heads equal to the 340, as they never installed 2:02 valves in a 360. A stock 360 performance level is never going to be as good as that of a stock 340. As I said before, either can be built in a stroked monster, and perform pretty much the same. Chrysler built the 340 to be their performance small block, as it was only available in performance cars. The 360 was really introduced to be a truck/passenger car engine. There is no more cost in building a 340 than a 360 as there is stroker cranks available for both. And for the record a stock340 WILL rev higher than a 360 because of it's shorter stroke, and smaller dia. mains give it less bearing speed, which makes it less frictional, and easier on the bearings. The reason chrysler put the much more durable forged crank into the 340 was because of it's ability to rev.

I guess nobody knows what "all things being equal" means. There's always gonna be a difference of opinion because people skin cats different ways. It's really that simple.

thats just my point.........the 360 and the 340 were never born equal...the 340 is a better performer out of the box. Period!!!

thats just my point.........the 360 and the 340 were never born equal...the 340 is a better performer out of the box. Period!!!

I agree.....but we were not talking out of the box. You caint have it both ways. We've been talking modified...strokers and all. If we were comparing stock for stock, you'd be right....and you are and I agree with you. But that's not what we were doing here.

I was thinking the original post here was a gentleman want to get educated on the differences between a 340 and a 360.... I don't know where all this stroker buisness came from. LOL! But as long as you want to talk modified engines, than either one can be built to preform great with stroker cranks, etc.

Both engines are great performers. It boils down to how fast you want to go, and how big your budget is. I have both engines. Right now I am running a Mopar 380HP 360 short block, which is 9:1 cast piston, cast crank. On it I have the $500 Indy Aeroheads stock 340 castings with 2.02/1.60 valves and no machine work. The cam is the Mopar .508 hydraulic flat tappet. M1 SP intake, Holley 750 DP, MSD Digital 6 ign. This car, on the chassis dyno puts 300HP to ground at 5400, 314 TQ at 4600. Car is all steel, with 6pt rollbar. Car weighs about 3150 with me in it. On pump premium gas, the car runs 11.60s shifting at 5800. It will run 11.90s shifting at 5000. The 360 makes lots of torque, there is no need to buzz them that high, only maybe emotional need. This entire engine was brand new, from carb to pan was about $2700 including ignition. This is my second season of racing it.
I built my car to race in Stock Elim some day, with a 340. However since there are so many issues running against some of the newer stockers, I am going to do a 408/415 instead and go super street. Same ETs but cheaper engine.

"flip it to a numbers clown"
...where did that come from?

came from me.. sell that 340 to some resto nut that will pay good money for it and use the profits to build a 360.. :) i've had quite a few 340 motors over the years and always made money on them..

After reading this thread I just got to a point with all this ridiculousness here I couldn't stay out of it. BILL JENKINS! Are you serious? Your talking about a legendary engine builder & innovator who was at the top of his game vs so many also rans at the time. It wasn't the multi-millionaire only class that it is today. Also the Pro Stock class at that time had weight breaks based on cubic inches, so there was an advantage to running a smaller engine/ lighter car combination. Remember Glidden & his Plymouth Arrow? Weight breaks is why he changed over.
If you seriously think a 340 could take a 396 in stock form you need to check into rehab! In car of similar weight & size(camaro/ nova) the 396 made more power in EVERY version produced so the power to weight being even close it would beat the 340. So yes it probably came down to bad drivers.
The 340 is cool if you are into nostalgia. I can say this; Horsepower is a by product of torque. Torque is easier to produce with longer stroke & more cubic inches. A smaller engine will rev higher to produce the same horsepower out of necessity. I've built them both. If I had my choice I'd build an early 360 block(same core as a 340 BTW) & enjoy the extra power it produces at lower RPM. Even if I disappointed the crowds because of it! Lower ET slips cure that rather quickly!
I'm not a 340 hater or a 360 lover. But the facts are what they are.
No replacement for displacement!

-
Back