In need of some 273 head education

-
340mopar said:
That's the great thing about our hobby / sport, different people like different things. Much better than everybody driving the same powered, same color, same type of car.
You could say the same thing about older a-bodys (which I own), why would anybody mess with one when it is much easier to buy parts for the later a-body, or worse yet lets all drive camaros since it is easier yet to get parts for... not
Don't get me wrong, if it is your choice to run a 360 that's fine and I respect that, but some people want something different for whatever reason and that needs to be respected also.

Chuck

I agree. I see this kind of response regarding the 273 all the time. Some food for thought. A stock eliminator driver broke the record for G/S driving an early B body with a 273/2 barrel, ran mid 13's. pretty impressive for a little 273.

toolmanmike said:
I would/should run a 360+ cube motor in my 66 Dart but the HP273 is the stock motor. If I wasn't interested in keeping the car original I would do that.
When I first started looking, I wanted a 64 Dart with a slant 6 so I could
hot rod it and not feel guilty about it. In 66 there were only 1237 HP273/
4-speed Darts made and that includes hardtops and convertibles. I choose to keep mine original. toolmanmike

Nice car

dart4forte said:
I agree. I see this kind of response regarding the 273 all the time. Some food for thought. A stock eliminator driver broke the record for G/S driving an early B body with a 273/2 barrel, ran mid 13's. pretty impressive for a little 273.

I hear what you're saying. Lots of people slag the little 273 because its short on cubes,BUT, I had a ride in a friends 65 Barracuda with a fresh 273 4 barrel, 4-speed ,manifolds,stock single exhaust, and this thing knocked my socks off!!! It'll flat outrun a 340 anyday. My 273 (2 barrel on the inside) with cast 4 intake and stock AFB runs just fine and will get me into trouble fast enough,,,if I let it.

I bought my 67 Barracuda that has a 273 not really knowing what kind of horsepower/torque the little motor would produce but it did surprise me. I had a 68 Charger that had a strong built 383 big block and it got the job done. The car had a 727 trans and I installed a 4.10 gear and Auburn limited slip and it would "fly" if you know what I mean. But a lady flat out ran a stop sign and t-boned the passenger side. I had just dropped off a friend of mine and thank goodness he wasn't in the car. I had classic auto insurance and they gave me $15,500 for the car so I was lucky on that part. I went out and bought a 03 Dodge Ram with that money. I knew that one day I would grab me another Mopar along the way and finally did this year and got the Barracuda. I knew that it wasn't going to be the power house the Charger was but wanted something that I could work on because it is my hobby besides hunting. I was telling myself that I am going to keep the motor and throw in a big block and then I backed down some and now maybe a built 360 would work good if it will mate up to the 4-speed. I believe the 360 would be less headache and of course money to install in the car than a big block. But for the time being I like the 273 and might just live with it. Most folks walk up to me and ask what size motor is in the car and I tell them and they are like "what?" I've never heard of a 273. I've got the motor cammed up and the dual exhaust with headers is dumped before the axle with two Flomaster 40s and it kind of sounds like a big block when it is running. I'm not ashamed that it is a 273 and like I said it moves the car faster than what I tought it would.

emcsarnold said:
i need rockers and shafts for a 67 273 can anyone help

I've had a set for sale for several months $100 plus shipping

-
Back