In Need Of Some 8 3/4 Technical Info

-

blue missile

Reaction score
last Friday I went to Texas acres and got a 8 3/4 rear that Don assured me would fit in the duster. He said it was only 1/4" different. I did not have my note book or a measuring tape so I took his word for it.
Needless to say he was wrong! He did say it was out of a B body and was clearly marked '65 Fury 4 Dr. It has a good 741 pumpkin and a set of 2.93 gears. I would prefer 3.23. I now am faced with cutting down the tubes. Here is where I need the info.
My chart says that a B body of that year should be 55" flange to flange, the one I have is 56.5" flange to flange. I'm quite shure it has the small bolt pattern axles, which is of no consequence if I cut the tubes down to length.
According to my chart the assembly is out of an E body. Idont know if that matters.
The end result I am after is to put a set of disk brakes on the back, I remember the mention of 'green' bearings and have no idea if that enters into the mix.
the inner axle seal measures 2.69" in dia and has a part #2404215
The question I have is this a doable goal with what I now possess?
If so what are the steps necessary to get there.
Andrew

Personally i would take it back and tell him to give me one that fits and a-body,or give me my money back..but if your stuck with this one,you can move the spring perches in to where they'll line up with your a-body springs...

He didnt have any A body 8 3/4s left, he was really almost bought out of everything.
I try to look at all of this in a positive light.
I know that $100 is a good price for just the pumpkin. Its not the spring perches that are the issue, The whole assembly is 5" too long. And can I adapt this assembly for disc brakes if I cut the tubes down and get new axles?
Andrew

5" too long???..i suggested moving the perches in because any b-body 8 3/4 i've seen fit right under an a-body hmmm..yes you can cut the tubes,get new axles or have your axles cut and re-splined,disc brake set up i don't see why not if you have the coin..

I would think it would go on as normal as if you didn't cut it down, however, since your cutting it down, if the disc brake set up requires something different on the axle like the "Green bearings" or there equipment, you can adjust for it now instead of later.

It turns out that Don was wrong and the rear came out of an E body instead, hense the extra 5", I guess what I need to know were all the axle ends the same as far as the bearings and seals?
Andrew

As far as I know, the 8-3/4 use's all the same stuff.

Too bad your wayyy down in Texas my buddy has a b-body housing with the perches moved in already,i'm sure shipping would be a lot..

Shipping from Boston to Tex. may be worth it considering how much it'll cost to narrow the rear. He can just resell the E-body rear for damn good coin!

bluemissle. I have an E body housing (70 Cuda) in my garage. I just
measured it and it is 56.5 flange to flange. Axles are LBP and it came with
a 489 gear case.

I believe these axles are small bolt pattern, they measure 4.25" cl to cl. I will be doing the narrowing so the cost is not that much.
Since I just spent two days cleaning this thing up and its squeaky clean and detailed how much could it bring???
Andrew

If you are going to use it and shorten it this is what I would do.
Decide if you are going with mini tubs or spring relocate.
If not pick what wheels/tires you want to run
I cut a C body down to aprox 55 5/8" drum to drum (B,E,C drums)
If you are going disk you mighjt be able to go alittle shorter.
I then used the 3/4" offset spring hangers and did not cut the car.
When you buy axles they cost the same reguardless of lenght.

E-body's never came with sbp, only bbp. period.

good luck,

Antoon

IIRC the early B body diffs were not much wider than the A body units but the perches are still wider by 1" overall.

OK then how do you measure BBP vs SBP and this came out of a 65 Fury.
I have already minitubbed and am going with a 4 link from RMS. Using the axle length chart Im now sure its an E body.
Andrew

If you have already mini tub than move the springs, cut the rear short and put on some big meats.

hey blue,i,ve got a early b rear only 2 inches wider here in rosenberg with a 3. 23 gear 489 case i,d let go for 125. came out of a 66 net.

You have a perfect opportunity to make a larger tire fit.
Choose your wheel width to fit the wheelwell and then cut the axle length to fit the wheel spacing.

I would march that thing back to "Don" and tell him either to sell me an A-body 8 3/4 or give me my money back.

I would march that thing back to "Don" and tell him either to sell me an A-body 8 3/4 or give me my money back.

For 100.00 your not going to get an A-body rear if "Don" did have one. If he will take it back, I would go with the early B rearend offered to you by daredevil for 125.00.

Daredevil,
Thanks for the offer Ireally appreciate this group and their willingness to help.
Johnny, you need to read all the posts in a thread.
Charger,
your responce is the most interesting, I will have to do a little figuring and see if shorter than 51.4" ( stock A body length) gives me an advantage. Im building this thing for road racing and as is it will take a very large tire since I minitubbed it.
Andrew

-
Back