In the Day....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
All the big 3 ,cranked out solid flat tappets.Considering,the quicker ramps,would it make up for smaller intake/exhaust valves in a small block mopar?

I like the question, and i think it was more about rpm's then valve size for the others. Oh, and welcome :D.

Check out a 273. I hear they get 10's out of them.

Oops!(lol).Rick,a way belated hello,back at you.Yes,Rick same thought mode......

with half the plugs pulled.....and they look awesome

Shaft mount lightweight rockers were definately superior. I will say all the Chevies i built, big and small, never had bottom end issues. But springs and pushrods were always a concern, solid or hyd. I never broke a long block part in a smallblock mopar, but i was constantly checking springs on the brand "C" builds. I'm talking engines that ran in the 6,500-7,000 rpm range. Too bad Mopar didn't decide to build a early 340 with a adj. rocker and a solid cam like a LT1 or what they used to call a Z option cam. That engine in a "A" body would have made the regulation factory big blocks run for cover. I'm sure chrysler knew that...lol. And no i'm not talking about the Hemi.

I do have pics.I will respond.Dammit,spend too much time here.

Shaft mount lightweight rockers were definately superior. I will say all the Chevies i built, big and small, never had bottom end issues. But springs and pushrods were always a concern,

Hell I can remember when Chebby valve studs were PRESSED in and they DIDN'T always STAY that way, either!!!!

Remember guys cross--pinning 'em?

Hell I can remember when Chebby valve studs were PRESSED in and they DIDN'T always STAY that way, either!!!!

Remember guys cross--pinning 'em?

I sure do. Around 76' i bought a jig to pin the studs after slightly pulling a few on a couple pair of early 327 heads. I actully did one set and then thought, what the He!! are you doing. After that i just had the shop mill'em, drill'em and used screw in's and guide plates. Even with the studs secure and using moly pushrods, i still had valvetrain issues. Glad i learned my lesson early as most of the work i did on them was for others....lol.

Say What?

30j4k21.gif

-
Back