In the Day....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
All the big 3 ,cranked out solid flat tappets.Considering,the quicker ramps,would it make up for smaller intake/exhaust valves in a small block mopar?

I like the question, and i think it was more about rpm's then valve size for the others. Oh, and welcome :D.

Oops!(lol).Rick,a way belated hello,back at you.Yes,Rick same thought mode......

with half the plugs pulled.....and they look awesome

Shaft mount lightweight rockers were definately superior. I will say all the Chevies i built, big and small, never had bottom end issues. But springs and pushrods were always a concern, solid or hyd. I never broke a long block part in a smallblock mopar, but i was constantly checking springs on the brand "C" builds. I'm talking engines that ran in the 6,500-7,000 rpm range. Too bad Mopar didn't decide to build a early 340 with a adj. rocker and a solid cam like a LT1 or what they used to call a Z option cam. That engine in a "A" body would have made the regulation factory big blocks run for cover. I'm sure chrysler knew that...lol. And no i'm not talking about the Hemi.

I do have pics.I will respond.Dammit,spend too much time here.

Shaft mount lightweight rockers were definately superior. I will say all the Chevies i built, big and small, never had bottom end issues. But springs and pushrods were always a concern,

Hell I can remember when Chebby valve studs were PRESSED in and they DIDN'T always STAY that way, either!!!!

Remember guys cross--pinning 'em?

Hell I can remember when Chebby valve studs were PRESSED in and they DIDN'T always STAY that way, either!!!!

Remember guys cross--pinning 'em?

I sure do. Around 76' i bought a jig to pin the studs after slightly pulling a few on a couple pair of early 327 heads. I actully did one set and then thought, what the He!! are you doing. After that i just had the shop mill'em, drill'em and used screw in's and guide plates. Even with the studs secure and using moly pushrods, i still had valvetrain issues. Glad i learned my lesson early as most of the work i did on them was for others....lol.

Say What?

30j4k21.gif

-
Back