Incorrect dash vin tag

-
I can imagine all kind of reasons for that, people would be recreating "Numbers matching" hemi cars and selling them for top dollar.. its counterfeiting really. On the other hand if you have a nice car with a nice drivetrain where can ya go wrong...? but yeah it would upset the barrett jackson types...
It has happened more times than u can imagine. Kim

So what we have established is if you have a VIN tag suspended in free space you can attach all the needed sheetmetal to it. But you can not take the same Vin tag and attach it to the needed sheetmetal.

Where is the distinction?

Take a core support and bolt / weld other parts to it that's fine

Bolt or weld a core support to other sheetmetal that's not good.

So let me get this straight, if you have a car with title in hand but its a rusty pile and then you have a rust free body with no title that was say an ex drag car. If you swap everything over and plan to keep the car and never sell it your saying thats wrong even though you own both cars and dont intend to turn profit or misrepresent them?
Never say never unless you plan on being buried in your car. Just saying.

I happened to be at the Colorado DMV today. And I asked a couple questions..

If you have a car made up of numerous different cars what vin is the correct vin.

I was told you would bring proof of where you got the parts, and then a process is gone through to issue you a VIN

That encludes title searching any vins on the body parts.

I also asked what happens if you replace EVERY part on a car is it still the origional car?

That one stumped them but their fall back was the answer as above.

They were suprisingly unknolgeble about the term re-bodying

This is just Colorado.

Last edited:
I happens to be at the Colorado DMV today. And I asked a couple questions..

If you have a car made up of numerous different cars what vin is the correct vin.

I was told you would bring proof of where you got the parts, and then a process is gone through to issue you a VIN

That encludes title searching any vins on the body parts.

I also asked what happens if you replace EVERY part on a car is it still the origional car?

That one stumped them but their fall back was the answer as above.

They were suprisingly unknolgeble about the term re-bodying

This is just Colorado.

A DMV that didn't know anything about VIN legitimacy? I'm shocked, shocked I say.
sarcasm3.gif

Man am I ever glad that all my Darts started life as 318 cars and still have the original VINs. I can do anything I damned well please with them (and for the most part have) and NOBODY CARES. It's getting to the point that I would hate to own a "high value car" (in someones completely arbitrary opinion). To hell with "high value cars".

(please excuse the preceding rant, I just couldn't help myself)

Kind of a chicken and the egg thing.

If you replace EVERY part of car A with parts from car B, C and D is the end result car A or car B or car C or car D?

I had a 56 Ford pickup, the cab was rusted I bought another cab. The frame was custom built, the engine was modern, the fenders were new the hood was from another truck, the rear end was from another car. Tires and wheels new. Etc.

So at what point is that truck the origional truck? And at what point is it not the origional truck?

If you replace one part at a time does that make it ok?

Why does the assembly of body panels welded together make it different than replacing a quarter panel, than a floor, then a rocker than....

Just tossing out thoughts.

Flame away
I think that's a question for the late Johnny Cash.

Dang I was really hoping for an update from the OP on this one. Any news Mag162?

-
Back