Incorrect dash vin tag

-
So let me get this straight, if you have a car with title in hand but its a rusty pile and then you have a rust free body with no title that was say an ex drag car. If you swap everything over and plan to keep the car and never sell it your saying thats wrong even though you own both cars and dont intend to turn profit or misrepresent them?

Yes.

You don't technically own the ex -drag car with no title as you have no proof it was sold to you. If you did, you would have a bill of sale and a registration for it from Motor vehicle registration Dept. Transferring VIN #'s to a completely different car is illegal . Transferring used components to another car is not. That's essentially the business of wrecking yards .

I know of a few guys that have ex drag cars with no titles but have rusty cars they wanted to swap everything over on. Im fine with people doing what they have to and want to but im guessing they aren't aware its a felony so i feel i should maybe warn them at the least before spending a pile ofn money on them lol

Kind of a chicken and the egg thing.

If you replace EVERY part of car A with parts from car B, C and D is the end result car A or car B or car C or car D?

I had a 56 Ford pickup, the cab was rusted I bought another cab. The frame was custom built, the engine was modern, the fenders were new the hood was from another truck, the rear end was from another car. Tires and wheels new. Etc.

So at what point is that truck the origional truck? And at what point is it not the origional truck?

If you replace one part at a time does that make it ok?

Why does the assembly of body panels welded together make it different than replacing a quarter panel, than a floor, then a rocker than....

Just tossing out thoughts.

Flame away

You guys are a skeered of the law as it were... I say drive the thing and keep quiet...now the problem is when ya wanna sell it...:)

If you replace EVERY part of car A with parts from car B, C and D is the end result car A or car B or car C or car D?

I had a 56 Ford pickup, the cab was rusted I bought another cab. The frame was custom built, the engine was modern, the fenders were new the hood was from another truck, the rear end was from another car. Tires and wheels new. Etc.

So at what point is that truck the origional truck? And at what point is it not the origional truck?

Why does the assembly of body panels welded together make it different than replacing a quarter panel, than a floor, then a rocker than....

Flame away
Is this the same as cutting the body panels off a perfectly good car to restore a rusted hulk that looks like the raised titanic just cause the vin numbers match...? ;)

What if I have a "numbers matching" high value car.

But some where in its life it was in a front end accident and the core support was replaced with one from a wrecking yard (or maybe a NOS or AMD core support)

Now you don't have the numbers matching core support.

Later the car gets into a rear end accident, and the back 1/4 is replaced, more numbers (or if NOS or AMD sheetmetal no numbers)

Now the car gets hit on the drivers side and the dash and vin are destroyed, vin tag is somewhere in the farmers field never to be found again.

You find a doner car and get the dash and vin tag off of it. Your not trying to reuse the vin tag off the donor, you just wanted that dash.

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO?

Flame away

Not going to flame you Dana67Dart LOL , reasonably civilized discussion going on here with valid points and questions.

To sum it up, its the vin# that can't be transferred legally, everything else is ok.

Now, you and I and everyone else on here are fully aware of whats really going on.

We are not that naive!!

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Is this the same as cutting the body panels off a perfectly good car to restore a rusted hulk that looks like the raised titanic just cause the vin numbers match...? ;)

But some where in its life it was in a front end accident and the core support was replaced with one from a wrecking yard (or maybe a NOS or AMD core support)

Later the car gets into a rear end accident, and the back 1/4 is replaced, more numbers (or if NOS or AMD sheetmetal no numbers)

Now the car gets hit on the drivers side and the dash and vin are destroyed, vin tag is somewhere in the farmers field never to be found again.

You find a doner car and get the dash and vin tag off of it. Your not trying to reuse the vin tag off the donor, you just wanted that dash.

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO?

You have to go to Motor vehicle registration Dept with the original registration for the car you lost the vin # from and request a VIN # replacement. As you are the last registered owner, this is a reasonably easy process.

You guys are a skeered of the law as it were... I say drive the thing and keep quiet...now the problem is when ya wanna sell it...:)

Yup!

Thats when the **** starts!
Now you have to prove you own the car and legally you can't.

Here you go Dana67 Dart, I think this is whatyou were referring to.

A local here found the remains of this car in Portugal of all places!

All numbers were intact including the dash vin #.

The whole car was rebuilt around the numbers using new or excellent used parts.

This is a one of 43 FK-5 Burnt Orange 426 4-speed Hemi GTX.

Here's how the car was found.

upload_2022-3-31_17-32-38.jpeg

upload_2022-3-31_17-33-12.jpeg

Here's the total restoration done by Alan Gallant in Ontario , Canada.

Absoutely flawless rebody of this very rare car.

DES-S-GTX

Cheers!!

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, if you have a car with title in hand but its a rusty pile and then you have a rust free body with no title that was say an ex drag car. If you swap everything over and plan to keep the car and never sell it your saying thats wrong even though you own both cars and dont intend to turn profit or misrepresent them?
Correct. It is against the law.

Here is what you have to do if you have a car with no VIN tag and want to drive it, sell it or "whatever". You have to call your local Sheriff's department. They will send a deputy out to inspect the car. They will look at any paper work you have and run any numbers "anywhere else" on the body. If everything checks out good, you will be issued a state issued VIN tag. This is the same thing they do for scratch built hot rods and vehicles....trailers and whatnot that people build from scratch. Same procedure. There IS a legal path, but swapping factory VIN plates AIN'T IT.

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO?
See post 140. That's what you do. The VIN on the dash you now have will have to come clear. Not stolen, etc.

Here you go Dana67 Dart, I think this is whatyou were referring to.

A local here found the remains of this car in Portugal of all places!

All numbers were intact including the dash vin #.

The whole car was rebuilt around the numbers using new or excellent used parts.

This is a one of 43 Turbine Bronze 426 4-speed Hemi GTX.

Here's how the car was found.

View attachment 1715899048

View attachment 1715899049

Here's the total restoration done by Alan Gallant in Ontario , Canada.

Absoutely flawless rebody of this very rare car.

DES-S-GTX

Cheers!!

LOL....did they actually ship that pile of rust back to Canada or just the numbers from it in an envelope and slap them on a Satellite?
:rofl:

View attachment 1715899059

72272B5E-5B3E-4465-B5AF-9AB74FF1C05F.jpeg

10FEDE0B-E53D-4759-88F2-0B7E25E116DF.jpeg

Correct. It is against the law.
I believe its Federal law also... I've heard stories of people buying rusting hulks for the vin plates etc. Now what if ya cut out and welded in the vin on the trunk panel and anywhere else on the car its stamped, made it hide real nice, swapped the dash and fender tags...?

LOL....did they actually ship that pile of rust back to Canada or just the numbers from it in an envelope and slap them on a Satellite?
:rofl:

View attachment 1715899059

View attachment 1715899067

View attachment 1715899068

Hey 66340Sedan,

He actually shipped the remains back to Newfoundland and used as much of it as possible building the new car. Oddly enough there were useable parts on it including all the body markings and VIN.
Ungodly expensive restoration. Car was sold to a new owner in Alberta.

I believe its Federal law also... I've heard stories of people buying rusting hulks for the vin plates etc. Now what if ya cut out and welded in the vin on the trunk panel and anywhere else on the car its stamped, made it hide real nice, swapped the dash and fender tags...?
That's correct. It is a federal crime to swap VIN tags. Yet, people have done it for decades and continue to. That still will never make it right and you'll never see me advising to do it.

That's what is usually done I'm sure.

The minute you transfer the VIN # its illegal.

That's what is usually done I'm sure.

The minute you transfer the VIN # its illegal.
Correct.....unless you go through the steps I outlined above. If the VIN plate is "all you have" and checks clean, they will reissue it.

I can imagine all kind of reasons for that, people would be recreating "Numbers matching" hemi cars and selling them for top dollar.. its counterfeiting really. On the other hand if you have a nice car with a nice drivetrain where can ya go wrong...? but yeah it would upset the barrett jackson types...

-
Back