increase in posts about putting non-Mopar parts in A-Bodies

-
I have but one quick reply to all this Franken-Mopar talk..........

When it comes time to sell any of your vehicles that you've trashed with GM and FORD parts, you can count me out of the buyers list....I just walk away laughing at these cars when they pop up.

I don't give a rip (pardon me) WHAT excuses you use about "good running" and all that crrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-apppppp...............I'm in this hobby NOT to build a better resto-Mod that LOOKS like it's a classic Mopar.........

I'm in it to design, build and drive the REAL THING.

..........and YES guys, Frankensteining your Mopar with GM and FORD is MUCH DIFFERENT than adding good aftermarket parts made for your ride.

(Why did I even have to say that?)

If someone wants to put a 9" in their car, fine with me. I they want a GM transmission, that's fine too. If they want to put a 454 in their Duster , I guess it's their car & they can do whatever they want, but why not just buy a Chevelle in the first place???

It's not your car, right? So who cares? My impression is if someone's neighbor doesnt want them to run their car late at night and complains and gets the cops involved, some might say he's got no right to complain... Isn't telling someone what they can or can't do on a car the same thing? If it ain't your problem, it aint your problem.

Blank apathetic complacent attitudes lead to the trashing of the classics in question.

Let's get rid of those ugly Duster front ends and replace 'em with Camaro RS front clips.......right? (Dad always liked those headlights!!!).

Jeepers, count me in !! May as well go all the way Baby !

What the %$#@#'s a Mopar A-Body ANYway, RIGHT? Just more fodder 'fer da' "Fronken-steeeeen's" I guess !

Good grief.........All this time I thought I was a member of a REAL Mopar site!
(Could it possibly be that I've been mistaken in some way?)

Blank apathetic complacent attitudes lead to the trashing of the classics in question.

Let's get rid of those ugly Duster front ends and replace 'em with Camaro RS front clips.......right? (Dad always liked those headlights!!!).

Jeepers, count me in !! May as well go all the way Baby !

What the %$#@#'s a Mopar A-Body ANYway, RIGHT? Just more fodder 'fer da' "Fronken-steeeeen's" I guess !

Good grief.........All this time I thought I was a member of a REAL Mopar site!
(Could it possibly be that I've been mistaken in some way?)

Wow, Doc, relax! :-D We'll all be okay.

Furd 9" rears are junk. Plain and simple they take more horsepower to turn than a dana 60. Their pinion stems are junk. There is no comparrision ti be made to be anywhere near equal to an 8 3/4. People that mix other brands into our beloved mopars ruin the sport in my opinion. Mopars are mopars fords are fords and chevys are chevys. Thats the way they were made and thats how they should stay.

From a true Mopar enthusiast

Jeff

Are the parts we make considered non oem? I like to fab my own stuff.
And there is nothing wrong in taking parts off other makes that improve our ride. I may even use a 1960 Chevy Biscayne dash in my valiant......maybe. lol
If I am building a car for show I will keep it original. For a cheap daily driver; parts that make it perform in traffic are acceptable.
The fun is in making our ride our own.

I took a deep breath, had a nice sip of fresh 8-O'Clock coffee, imagined a member ripping a 9" Ford Rear out of his A-Body and replacing it with a Dana, and the sun came out!! :sunny::sunny::sunny:

Thaaatttt's better. :-D Really, though, the only benefit I can see to the 9" is availability and parts. But I'm speaking from a position that two of my cars, and Jamison's Duster as well, already have 8.75s. Ford 8.8s? For me the jury is still out. As a former Ford tech I would say they are as strong as the 8.25 so it seems like a draw. The 8.25 will bolt easier and have the availability of rear disk from the same Explorer that 8.8 came out of or the Cherokee set up.

GM trans? Again, availibity and not having to cut the car up to get one to fit. Well, not having to cut one up as much. Putting an A500 or A518 might put off potential buyers since if they want to take it back to original or near original would require pans and torsion bar mounts. The advantage to that though, is the A500 and 518 are built off the 904 and 727 designs.

Non-Mopar engine? Well, what got you excited about Mopar to begin with? For me it was the superiority of the engineering in engines. Why would I want to replace that?

As for brakes, speed parts, etc. Whatever you can bolt in can be unbolted and returned to the factory parts. Personally, I like seeing brake conversions which add to driveability, even if the cheapest route is to use GM brakes. For my Ford it makes more sense to move a few parts to GM and Chrysler than to keep those parts Ford. More availability and budget.

I've already stated why I'm building a cowl for the M-body: blend of function and fashion.

if memory serves me right, the Dana 60 was not a Mopar exclusive.....it was used under the front of certain Fords and under the rear of certain Chevys, so is it "really" a Mopar part???

if memory serves me right, the Dana 60 was not a Mopar exclusive.....it was used under the front of certain Fords and under the rear of certain Chevys, so is it "really" a Mopar part???

Good question since it really came from an "aftermarket" vendor who supplied rears to everyone. AMC's Dana 20. How many Dana 44s are there under the old AMC Jeeps or the front ends on GM and Ford? The Dana 61 under my F250. Or the newer Dana 70s under GM, Ford, and Chrysler trucks? The list goes on for how many vehicles Dana supplied axles to.

How 'bout New Process? How many companies have been supplied trannies from NP? Or transfer cases?

So are they Mopar parts or supplied to fit Mopars?

Good question since it really came from an "aftermarket" vendor who supplied rears to everyone. AMC's Dana 20. How many Dana 44s are there under the old AMC Jeeps or the front ends on GM and Ford? The Dana 61 under my F250. Or the newer Dana 70s under GM, Ford, and Chrysler trucks? The list goes on for how many vehicles Dana supplied axles to.

How 'bout New Process? How many companies have been supplied trannies from NP? Or transfer cases?

So are they Mopar parts or supplied to fit Mopars?

You guys are pickin' nits again'.............

If it CAME in a Mopar, it's MOPAR.

For cryin' out loudnesses, 'dis ain't rocket science.........:read2:

sorry about the length...my car will have an 800 or so h.p. fuel injected cross ram hemi in it. i want to be able to drive the car on the street without sacrificing at the drag strip. spoke with multiple convertor shops, one of which was http://www.ultimateconverter.com/home.html .I want an overdrive in the car. ok, 727/gear vendors would be the obvious choice. the torque curve of a hemi is rather large, and the efi is going to make it start building this curve lower in the rpm range, this was according to Rich at fastman efi. this creates a problem. Len said that he would have to build me a 9.5" in order to get the stall where it will need to be at the drag strip. on the street this will equate to a slipping convertor due to the lower torque curve of the injected hemi and the fact that the od will be keeping the motor just shy of the torque curve. it was explained to me that there is not enough fluid in a 9.5" convertor to keep it from slipping at the 2300 or so rpm I will be turning on the road. solution, take some of the stall out of the convertor, downside to this will be paid for at the strip. Solution, a lock up convertor, which leaves the 727 out of the equation. Spoke to my trans builder about a 518. He told me that it will be far more costly to beef up a 518 to withstand this kind of power then it would be to use a 4l80. The 4l80e only needs a few hard parts replaced to live at this power level. with the efi I will be using, I can also use a piggybacked controller to operate the trans, so it will shift automaticly and lock up with no switches necessary. i should also mention that Len can build the convertor for a 4l80 like a typical 9.5" unit but retain the lock up. so when someone can explain, other than from a "purists" stand point, why i should not use a gm trans I am all ears.......

Things have changed a lot. Many years ago, in the 60's & 70's when I was in school, there was a lot of brand loyalty. My dad passed it on to me, back in the 60's the best engineered cars came from Chrysler. They made the best engines, trannies and diffs to drag race with. I still am brand loyal with cars earlier than '74. After that, everything changed. Without the aftermarket, Chevy would not have been as popular as they are today.

but being that a Dana 60 also came in a Ford and Chevy, is it really a Mopar part, from a purists standpoint.....to me it is not.......

When you build a street strip car you wind up with one that is not well suited to either! Why not go with a stick overdrive? I have seen the 4L80's come apart with much less torque than your going to have. And a lock up converter? I will never be talked into using one.

When you build a street strip car you wind up with one that is not well suited to either! Why not go with a stick overdrive? I have seen the 4L80's come apart with much less torque than your going to have. And a lock up converter? I will never be talked into using one.
stick overdrive, which one? the mcleod one that might not be what it is cracked up to be? an 833 with a gear vendor? as far as 4l80's coming apart, well, 727's come apart also. my friend has built a couple dozen 4l80 for off road racers and not one failure yet. also has built several for some street cars in Az. One of his units is also in Jesse James prerunner that he "built" a while back. lock up with high torque? my diesels close to 700 pounds of torque and has a lock up. granted, it has a much larger "clutch unit" in it but it also has to endure shifting into lock up under full load while towing etc. have to keep in mind that the trans will NEVER see anything full throttle while the convertor is locked, it is meant merely for highway use at a light throttle setting where torque is not much of an issue....and in speaking with Len at Ultimate Convertor he did not see an issue with what I want to do, as long as I don't lock up the convertor under heavy load. Using old school technology it is true that when you build a street/strip car you are not well suited to either, so why not use some modern day technology?

if that **** bothers you maybe toy dolls would better suit you. if they were THE perfect car they would still be making them today. ill use whatever i can get my hands on, i could really care less who made it. yeah my stuff is mostly mopar but im not gonna look down on some guys toy because he used better, cheaper, easier to find parts. if i did that would put me right up there with the Ebody crowd. sometimes it gets old looking through a magazine with cars that are built with parts from every mopar only supplier out there. then to look at the ads from these companies and the prices are out of this world. they are cars, and they are old, you do wht you have to do to keep them on the road.

I have but one quick reply to all this Franken-Mopar talk..........

When it comes time to sell any of your vehicles that you've trashed with GM and FORD parts, you can count me out of the buyers list....I just walk away laughing at these cars when they pop up.

I don't give a rip (pardon me) WHAT excuses you use about "good running" and all that crrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-apppppp...............I'm in this hobby NOT to build a better resto-Mod that LOOKS like it's a classic Mopar.........

I'm in it to design, build and drive the REAL THING.

..........and YES guys, Frankensteining your Mopar with GM and FORD is MUCH DIFFERENT than adding good aftermarket parts made for your ride.

(Why did I even have to say that?)

I don't think anyone was asking you to buy a car that doesn't appeal to you. Just like you would walk by a Resto-Mod I would walk by a numbers matching car to buy the Resto-Mod. I definately want a car that has the performance, handling, driveability and comfort of a modern car wrapped in a classic shape and if getting there means reaching into another manufacturers parts bin I am good with that.

One of the coolest dare to be different cars I have seen was in Hot Rod magazine a few months back. A 69 Camaro with a twin turbo inline 6 Toyota Supra engine. Absolutely amazing workmanship and performance to boot and it would have been just as cool if it had been a Cuda.

but being that a Dana 60 also came in a Ford and Chevy, is it really a Mopar part, from a purists standpoint.....to me it is not.......

Yeah, Edelbrock intakes too......door weatherseals, and a host of other parts we could name stamped out at the same factories....good grief, we could argue off point for hours.......

It AIN'T the issue. Not even your "super-modified" street cars are the issue (I'd never buy one of those either......chopped and rewelded, stripped and lightened........good grief.........I didn't think this was a thread about drag cars and pro-mods.......

Like I said........It AIN'T rocket science. It's a MOPAR. (and if I was a "purist", I wouldn't use an Edelbrock intake either........but again, it AIN'T the issue....least I didn't think it was........)

I'm goin' to bed. The thought of any more butchers out there ruining these rare classic cars is just wearin' me out............:stop::stop::stop:

Yeah, Edelbrock intakes too......door weatherseals, and a host of other parts we could name stamped out at the same factories....good grief, we could argue off point for hours.......

It AIN'T the issue. Not even your "super-modified" street cars are the issue (I'd never buy one of those either......chopped and rewelded, stripped and lightened........good grief.........I didn't think this was a thread about drag cars and pro-mods.......

Like I said........It AIN'T rocket science. It's a MOPAR. (and if I was a "purist", I wouldn't use an Edelbrock intake either........but again, it AIN'T the issue....least I didn't think it was........)

I'm goin' to bed. The thought of any more butchers out there ruining these rare classic cars is just wearin' me out............:stop::stop::stop:

Actually, I'm just saying it to get under your skin :-D

-
Back