Incredibly dumb question..Trans pig tail

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

We completely rebuilt a 340 but don't have a clue where the none transmission end of the neutral safety switch wire/pig tail goes. I can't find a picture anywhere. The car never did have one when I bought it. Just a picture would be awesome. 1969 Dart 340 727

Edit...Sorry thread should be in "transmission drivetrain" not "manual transmission" ....:realcrazy:

50347889778_c4caa6afcd.jpg

Last edited:
Round end on trany nuetral switch.
2 prong spade goes to the wiper harness .
Single spade I am not as sure about....maybe to starter relay ?

Hi everybody:

We completely rebuilt a 340 but don't have a clue where the none transmission end of the neutral safety switch wire/pig tail goes. I can't find a picture anywhere. The car never did have one when I bought it. Just a picture would be awesome. 1969 Dart 340 727

Edit...Sorry thread should be in "transmission drivetrain" not "manual transmission" ....:realcrazy:

View attachment 1715596119
Maybe @toolmanmike can move the thread. (thanks Mike)

IF the NSS on your transmission has the 3 prongs, then you can probably use that harness as MBaird wrote.
Probably.
Probably because I bought an M&H reverse/NSS harness like that one and the NSS wire was too short.
It would reach only if the starter relay was on the firewall. So far I've not seen any '69 A-bodies with a firewall mounted starter relay.
What I did was extend the brown wire with a two splices.

Last edited:
Yes, single wire with the down turn on it goes to the starter relay.

Going from manual trans to automatic?Factory harnesses usually had the plugs in them to go automatic too.

That particular harnesses was retained by two clips on the transmission.
The longer one goes under top left tailshaft housing screw head.
Shorter one top right attachment bolt to engine.
If not on the car now, you can make 'em yourself or buy 'em. I made the shorter one.
upload_2020-9-16_8-25-17.png

upload_2020-9-16_8-33-4.png

Hopefully you dont have to do this but if you do...
One way to extend the wire is splice in a length of brown insulated wire.
Since I had female terminals for the connector, I replaced the terminal so only one splice junction was needed.

upload_2020-9-16_8-39-59.png

In fact M&H used the exact same Packard 58 terminal that I recently bought.
upload_2020-9-16_8-42-34.png

I opted for a tin plated version since its in the engine compartment.
upload_2020-9-16_8-45-17.png

Join the new wire with a crimp splice and heat shrink.
upload_2020-9-16_8-44-15.png

Location is pretty safe from oil, so I opted for the adhesive lined over the oil and fuel resistant type.
upload_2020-9-16_8-47-4.png

upload_2020-9-16_8-47-42.png

Last edited:
This is from the ***'y drawings.
upload_2020-9-16_8-57-21.png

Clip 2 is the longer one bent forward.
upload_2020-9-16_8-59-27.png

Notice it shows two wires from the bulkhead connector to a two wire connector.
You could make that, or you can push the male terminals directly into the bulkhead connector (which is what I did).

Edit. I see you have the plug on that harness.
In that case I'd make the matching connector if its not already on the wiper motor bulkhead connector.

Last edited:
-
Back