Indy 360-2 230cnc oval Port

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys, as always i´m searching for more power.....kinda addictive i think. Thought about the readily available Heads, i do like the oval port / offset rocker heads like the W2 or the Indy 360-2 Version. It seems that these indy heads are not used very often - i can find more information about the 360-1 245cc rectangular version but i think these would be totally overkill for my application (pretty basic 408, 10:1). So let´s hear if there is some experience with these Indy 360-2 oval Port heads, with or without their available cnc-porting. Engine combinations, Horsepower / torque data, Quartermile times, cost involved - all is interesting. Thanks in advance!

Michael

Michael, I have not used these heads nor know anyone that does. With that said, afford the best cylinder head you can. Engine Masters has a interesting episode on cylinder heads. They tried 3 on the same displacement engine, a 400(+)? Ford engine with a small cam. Interesting results. Worth the look.
Good luck with the research.

If you don't have an aftermarket block to not only have the added strength but also bore size then I think your wasting your time with these and or similiar or even better heads.

If you don't have an aftermarket block to not only have the added strength but also bore size then I think your wasting your time with these and or similiar or even better heads.

I would be more worried about the block than I would the bore size after flowing my ported 360-1 heads and my buddy’s 245cnc’d heads. I flowed both heads on my 4.010 bore adapter and both heads flowed some very nice numbers. Probably more than enough to hurt a stock block. But then again I haven’t seen to many small block Mopar blocks that have been hurt.

I agree, with a factory block you're limited by block strength, regardless of what head you have. My 408 used a 71 cast 360 block and ported Edelbrock heads, when I tore it down to freshen the main and cam bearings showed signs of block flex, at least that's the only explanation I found. I had posted on another forum about my issues and a member there contacted me about a Indy headed, R1 engine he had. I bought it and built my 434.

I would be more worried about the block than I would the bore size after flowing my ported 360-1 heads and my buddy’s 245cnc’d heads. I flowed both heads on my 4.010 bore adapter and both heads flowed some very nice numbers. Probably more than enough to hurt a stock block. But then again I haven’t seen to many small block Mopar blocks that have been hurt.

I’m sorry I better fix this before I’m called a lier by one of our members again. I looked at my bore adapter and it’s 4.015 not 4.010. I wouldn’t want to get caught again.

interesting discussion so far! I agree with John here, don´t think that the block is on the borderline. I run what most people here would consider a mild hydraulic roller cam, 250°@.050", 108°LSA, and keep the rpms under 7000.....i don´t consider this "full race" and somewhat "gentle" to the block.

I flowed a set of cnc’d 360-2’s a few years back, just as they came from Indy.
Basically 320/[email protected] lift on a 4.00” bore.

Dwayne, do you happen to have the full numbers, especially low lift?

Michael

interesting discussion so far! I agree with John here, don´t think that the block is on the borderline. I run what most people here would consider a mild hydraulic roller cam, 250°@.050", 108°LSA, and keep the rpms under 7000.....i don´t consider this "full race" and somewhat "gentle" to the block.

Michael
I’d still call that cam a street-street/strip cam that is capable of making some darn good power though!
What kind of lift does it have?

Oh hell yea! Nice and mellow.
So nice, grandma even drove it twice!

Dwayne, do you happen to have the full numbers, especially low lift?

28”, 4.00” bore, clay radius, no tube on exhaust:
2.10/1.65 valves

Lift———I/E
.100— 67/57
.200—137/113
.300—204/152
.400—260/176
.500—297/188
.600—313/195
.700—321/201

Thanks Dwayne! but there must be more information around on these....nobody actually running these?

Michael

28”, 4.00” bore, clay radius, no tube on exhaust:
2.10/1.65 valves

Lift———I/E
.100— 67/57
.200—137/113
.300—204/152
.400—260/176
.500—297/188
.600—313/195
.700—321/201

What CC intake ports, 210, 230?

I wonder how big of a valve these heads can take. I have my buddy’s heads (360-1’s 245cc) that he sold me without valves that need some welding.

OP is just wasting his time and efforts...........he is a water walker..........stock block was fine with what he was doing before but in his own admission he is addicted to having more power........with that said a real block is the first thing he should be looking for and if he can't justify that then stick with what you got.

OP is just wasting his time and efforts...........he is a water walker..........stock block was fine with what he was doing before but in his own admission he is addicted to having more power........with that said a real block is the first thing he should be looking for and if he can't justify that then stick with what you got.
I can understand and get on board with that. The concern he is having is, where does the stock block give up and I think that is more in the reliable area rather than splitting it in half for power.

At the moment, I can’t remember who started the thread a way back on block strength. Something like
“Is 600hp the limit on stock blocks” thread.

In reality, 600 is a lot for a stock small block. Actually, it’s a lot period for a small block, race block or not. Not many people go there.

Intersting........ that option isn’t in the price sheet anymore.

My notes for that test show it as a “cnc230”

I can understand and get on board with that. The concern he is having is, where does the stock block give up and I think that is more in the reliable area rather than splitting it in half for power.

At the moment, I can’t remember who started the thread a way back on block strength. Something like
“Is 600hp the limit on stock blocks” thread.

In reality, 600 is a lot for a stock small block. Actually, it’s a lot period for a small block, race block or not. Not many people go there.
I'm all for guys making more power and going faster, I'm guilty myself, but it's just not smart money to chase 600 hp and up type power while still utilizing a stock block platform. Yeah there are a few guys that use them and run fast, like John, BUT his cars are very very light compared to most others on here so just how much power is he making? If I recall correctly I don't believe he dyno's any of his stuff as he is looking for track results but the point is still the same you have to have a foundation that will give you peace of mind and that you can actually grow into over time too if a person wishes.

Agreed, and that is the question. Where is a safe stock block limit? Also, where is the race blocks limit?
I can’t answer these questions. There is just not enough information out there. Who’s done it? Who’s still doing it? Who is planning for it?

The OP asked about combinations. That’s it really. Everyone’s concern with the block is a good concern considering the parts he is asking about. Those Indy heads can potentially make some serious steam. He hasn’t a plan on them, just questions on combinations.

-
Back