Indy 415 Small Block

-
Heres how I look at it,

Rotating assembly from Muscle motors or wherever $1,200
Indy RHS Heads with 2.02 Valves 1,200
Block work 500.00 to 1,000 (if that) 1,000
Misc.... cam Oil pan intake carb 2,000

You can get one built alot cheaper than 7,000

Not trying to stir the pot or however you want to say it/put it.....

But i have built more than a few motors, atleast... NEVER ever does the list work....

I have yet to do what you just listed and it comes out that easy...

Not 1 build, EVERY build went right past what it worked out to on paper...

Worse, is when the wife sees the paper and says "they all start, it's gonna be a little simple build this time" ... or.... "how does a well thought out project go over budget and weather, labor and time have no effects on it, and you manage to not go a few dollars or hundred or 2 over, but thousands"

My answer, always the same, "it was supposed to be a little non costly build, prices must of changed"

"you think i like looking at this and thinking i could have had a A8/RP9 motor instead"

No offense taken but I'm curious..Why wouldn't it work? I mean yea, you could spend more if you wanted to. But I fail to see why a decent engine should cost 7,000.

67, You're short parts for the amount of cash you show, and what you believe the machine labor should cost so way, WAY low for quality work. I do agree there are some who can get one built for cheaper but it for me becomes a quesion of the result. A customer is compromising certain aspects of the resulting engine when settling for the cheapest parts and cheapest machining available. A really good engine can be built even from used or lower quality parts if the machining's top notch. But skimp on the machining and it's like building a house using plastic nails.

67, You're short parts for the amount of cash you show, and what you believe the machine labor should cost so way, WAY low for quality work. I do agree there are some who can get one built for cheaper but it for me becomes a quesion of the result. A customer is compromising certain aspects of the resulting engine when settling for the cheapest parts and cheapest machining available. A really good engine can be built even from used or lower quality parts if the machining's top notch. But skimp on the machining and it's like building a house using plastic nails.
If your block work is gonna cost over a grand somethings wrong. ( Now I might have to do some rechecking on that cause it seems like all my quotes for my 408 were around 500.00 on the block work and this is good quality work) check out Rob Robinsons post on his 416 engine build......Also it helps if the guy doing the block and building the engine is a friend of a friend>>> LOL

I disagree with "wrong". Something's different, definately. My questions, to make sure it's apples to apples, is what parts exactly were used, what machining operations were done, and what equipment is used to do each operation.

I saw Rob's post. I think if he's satisfied that's all that matters. These are observations here and not meant to reflect anything but my own opinions. I would again bring up making apples to apples comparisons. I'd wager Rob had basic machining done and I'd be curious to know what equipment did it. I know there are important parts used that I don't agree with just by what he listed. I also am not be surprised that it makes what it did on the dyno. I'd be interested to see what it does in the car, on the track. That's the equivilent cost of a basically stock type build (on 318, 340, or 360) that I'd expect would make the around the same hp/in.

I disagree with "wrong". Something's different, definately. My questions, to make sure it's apples to apples, is what parts exactly were used, what machining operations were done, and what equipment is used to do each operation.

I saw Rob's post. I think if he's satisfied that's all that matters. These are observations here and not meant to reflect anything but my own opinions. I would again bring up making apples to apples comparisons. I'd wager Rob had basic machining done and I'd be curious to know what equipment did it. I know there are important parts used that I don't agree with just by what he listed. I also am not be surprised that it makes what it did on the dyno. I'd be interested to see what it does in the car, on the track. That's the equivilent cost of a basically stock type build (on 318, 340, or 360) that I'd expect would make the around the same hp/in.
You know actually what counts is that the person getting the engine built is happy with what work he has done, be it 500.00 or 1500.00. I agree with you on that.. Hopefully mine will be done in about a month or so.

No offense taken but I'm curious..Why wouldn't it work? I mean yea, you could spend more if you wanted to. But I fail to see why a decent engine should cost 7,000.

No no no..... im just telling you now.... to throw out that paper of project build cost...

Im telling you, it'll make you nuts and you'll have weird conversations about math and school with the wife...
all kinds of bs comments and the last 3 projects went over by this much kinda bs....
Then they use it for a excuse to try and buy useless jewelry that doesn't make more hp...

LMAO.. How dare her buy cheap jewlery with engine money!!!! LOL I'm single so I don't have to worry about that. Or the car parts in my living room and back porch and bed room.

LMAO.. How dare her buy cheap jewlery with engine money!!!! LOL I'm single so I don't have to worry about that. Or the car parts in my living room and back porch and bed room.

Chicks dig the car parts in my living room!!

It is not all the engine that cost a lot!! GOOD Headers are $$$ and just little things tend to jack the cost up. There is always a few things you will buy twice!! I found that gasket mess ups are my enemy and gas money in the trips back and forth to Kragen!!

It is not all the engine that cost a lot!! GOOD Headers are $$$ and just little things tend to jack the cost up. There is always a few things you will buy twice!! I found that gasket mess ups are my enemy and gas money in the trips back and forth to Kragen!!

True... lets not forget the beer to calm the nerves.

I spent years researching and planning my stroker engine. Had a spread sheet with every single cost. Still went over budget by quite a lot.

!

lol yeah the hemi under glass was great.....

then we got married....

Lol that diggin stuff kinda gets kicked to the curb...

340sFastback - I have done it probably a dozen times, it never seems to work out..

i agree with 0U812 I hate Indy Cylinder Head!!! its not that i hate their product, they have the best heads on the market but they lie to you and treat you terribly. i work at a speed shop and they are building a 68 baracuda and the owner purchased a $16,000 450 indy small block. he was told it was 11:1 pump gas, well he sent it to Bishof's machine shop in indiana to have a sheet metal intake made for it, and bishof noticed metal in the oil in the top in, so he tore it apart and found the number 8 rod bearing was smoked! it was so bad the crank had to be turned. aparantly they braved a leaking water jacket and it broke loose during the dyno sesion. and on top of all that bishof checked the compression just to check and it was 12.5:1!!!!! Indy you suck!

i agree with 0U812 I hate Indy Cylinder Head!!! its not that i hate their product, they have the best heads on the market but they lie to you and treat you terribly. i work at a speed shop and they are building a 68 baracuda and the owner purchased a $16,000 450 indy small block. he was told it was 11:1 pump gas, well he sent it to Bishof's machine shop in indiana to have a sheet metal intake made for it, and bishof noticed metal in the oil in the top in, so he tore it apart and found the number 8 rod bearing was smoked! it was so bad the crank had to be turned. aparantly they braved a leaking water jacket and it broke loose during the dyno sesion. and on top of all that bishof checked the compression just to check and it was 12.5:1!!!!! Indy you suck!
My engine builder is gonna go thru my RHS heads that I got from Indy.. I got their heads and 1.5 adjustable rockers

Indy makes some good products but there have been many horor stories with their crate engines over the years.

-
Back