Indy Heads for the new Duster motor. Poor

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son took the Indy heads apart from my new motor to check them. Indy never cut the 15 above the 45 degree on three of the intake seats. The 45 degree was 1/8 inch wide . The lap went to the end of the valve.

Also two of the exhaust were 50 degree's under the 45 so we re-cut them all to 65 degree's. They also never blended the bowl to the guide on three exhaust ports. For what they charge for 360-1's you think the quality would be better on the machine work. He ended up re-cutting all the valves and seats. The guides were also a little loose but he said they would be good for a season or two.

I am not happy with what he showed me. Anyone with these heads should have them checked

DSCN0133.JPG

DSCN0134.JPG

DSCN0135.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

Sorry to read Indy hasn’t up there game any. There reputation still holds.

Once there gone through and corrected, you should be happy with the results.

You can find posts going back almost 20 years on what a POS the quality is from the Indy shop. Nothing has changed. If someone is buying Indy product, they either need to have the tools and equipment to carefully check everything before they are run, or buy the product from a vendor that will charge them to do it for them. Been like that since day 2. It wasn't a big deal when they were the only game. Now they've got competition at least for heads.

You can find posts going back almost 20 years on what a POS the quality is from the Indy shop. Nothing has changed. If someone is buying Indy product, they either need to have the tools and equipment to carefully check everything before they are run, or buy the product from a vendor that will charge them to do it for them. Been like that since day 2. It wasn't a big deal when they were the only game. Now they've got competition at least for heads.

Agree 100%...

This is exactly what I've been told about INDY as well. What a freaking shame . Some idiot performing the "alleged " valve job, or f it just don't give a rip . And still they want good money ? Pfffft... I'm glad I have IMM out here in Indio !

They did not build the motor HTA did it before my son worked there. The Heads were put on out of the box minus different springs and retainers.

Now that my son took them apart . He re-did the work that should have been done the first time. We had no problem with the motor It had some track time and a total of 600 miles including street. It ran 10.68@ 128 the last time out at Numidia raceway spinning the old feathered tires

We raised the compression from 12-1 to 13-1 and are improving the heads. should be a lot faster with a taller gear set and a lot less weight . We'll see?

-
Back