Indy LA-X or Mag -X head?

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've have an LA 318 that I set up to use magnum heads on years ago. I'm going to replace the heads with Indy X heads. Question is, Do I buy the LA-X heads and go back to LA rocker arm shafts or the MAG-X heads and continue using the magnum rocker arm setup I have now? It's just a mild 318 going in my cruiser and may be subjected to the occasional burnout. Any advantage to returning to the rocker arm shafts? When I put this together several years ago the LA style magnum heads were not available yet. Thanks

Mild 318? I'd probably stick with what you have. What lift and the springsdo you have? Sounds like they are not too heavy.

do you have stock 1.6 rockers or roller tip rockers for current magnums
what would you run for rockers on the LA heads?
If roller tip you still need to raise the shafts per B3 tech see his webiste and read all 4 writeups
mild 318 shaft with Iron rockers works for me up to about 550 lift
or stick with what you have
hyd roller cam?

Why are you switching to the Indy RHS heads? Is there a problem with your current setup, or just looking for more performance? What intake you currently running?
If there was a problem with your current rocker gear, switching back to LA style setup would be less painful because you would already have to buy something anyway.
If your current rocker gear is in excellent shape, and you plan to keep this a street engine, no harm in sticking with Magnum setup.

shafts are 1.5, mags are 1.6. mags are pushrod oiled, shafts are galley fed, lots of LA intakes.

Current heads are a used set of magnum heads that I bought years ago. Not sure if they are cracked or not but while I have the engine out I'd like to put a new camshaft and heads on it. I have a Mopar M1 dual plane manifold on it now. I'll probably stick with the magnum setup. You guys know how it goes. You think you have it all figured out then someone questions your judgement and makes you second guess yourself. If it ain't broke, don't fix it , right? Thanks everyone.

No need to second guess the use of Magnum rockers and intake setup on a mild street engine. Since you already have those, definitely reuse them.
If you have not already selected a vendor to buy the new heads, check out IMM engines. They sell these heads prepped and ready to bolt on with a good valve job.

-
Back