Indy Mecum looks like a bodies are on the rise

-
Yes, good to hear. It makes our present cars worth a little more. If you're just getting into the hobby and want a early A or a Gen2 "67 and newer" there are still some bargains out there.

That look's like John's stroker402 old 65 dart, pretty rare car. Yeah, prices are definitely on the rise on A bodies, just look on craigslist and Ebay, and people are paying alot more for the A bodies. It makes sense because the B, and E bodies are out of control on prices, so that makes our A bodies much more desirable. I have a buddy that does Mecum, and Barrett Jackson, and is a dealer, and he tell's me all the time that the A bodies are hot right now. Baby boomers are retiring and want to buy these car's to relive there youth, but when they see how much a Road runner or Cuda is, it's not a hard decision to look at A bodies

This is NOT good news at all. ALL it means are the cars and parts will become more expensive to EVERYONE, especially the "hobby" guys. The "Investment" guys and brokers will be the only ones with the money to buy them. It also alows the states a guildline for assesing "fair market value" and hammering you even harder on propery taxes.

This is NOT good news at all. ALL it means are the cars and parts will become more expensive to EVERYONE, especially the "hobby" guys. The "Investment" guys and brokers will be the only ones with the money to buy them. It also alows the states a guildline for assesing "fair market value" and hammering you even harder on propery taxes.
I guess my take on it is that if value goes up then more parts we need are going to be reproduced.

I agree that it does drive up prices on parts, but on the flip side, look at all the reproduction parts becoming available for us now, because of demand! The prices at auction are not realistic in the real world because there isn't a room full of guys with money looking at buying your car. There are still deals to be had, but you have to be on your toes. I think the market will cool down in the next 5-10 years , not many of the younger generation have any interest in these car's, they want there fox bodies and tuners

There have been parts avalible for years for our cars. Also the high end cars dont use a ton of repop parts, that level demands NOS or refurbished originals. The next thing that happens, is guys start complaining about how expensive "mopar parts" are to buy. Its allready happend with E bodys, its just a trickle down effect. And it wont matter HOW many parts are avalible for a 70 duster, when you have to pay 10k for a rusted shell, due to them bringing 40-50k at some auction. A bodys have always been a favorite to me, partly because they ARE afordable. If they get popular at these big auctions, that wont be the case much longer.

Sorry parts are available for the 67 up A body but the early crowd gets no love or value. One that needs restored runs around 1k to 1500 and a restored car goes for about 7 or 8k at this time.

Sorry parts are available for the 67 up A body but the early crowd gets no love or value. One that needs restored runs around 1k to 1500 and a restored car goes for about 7 or 8k at this time.
Well, that means you can still afford to buy one. IF those things start bringing 40 or 50k alot of people WONT be able to afford them.........bad for hobby, good for "investors" and millionares.

If some investor want's my car and is willing to pay that, they can come get it, I''l buy a newer car, lol. I wouldn't get too worried about our car's being worth 40-50 k, unless there some super rare M code or even a very nicely restored H code A body. Just remember, it's very expensive to restore one of these car's too, unless you can do the work yourself, and have a super clean car to start with, there 20 k plus to do a full restoration on them. I agree that these auction show's don't help us in the hobby, but it's a whole new world with the internet, and tv. Back in the day you just put your car in the local paper, or in the front yard and you didn't have as much exposure to sell it, thing's have changed drastically with technology, and we can't do anything about that:(

There is a lot bigger market for these car's now then 20 years ago also, because the guy's that owned them when new are retiring and want them again, and they don't have the time or ambition to restore one, so they just pay top dollar for a nice turn key car, so they can just get in and drive. Like I said, I think this market will cool sooner then later, I think the guy's in there 40's like myself will have pick of the litter on this stuff in coming years because the demand will drop.

affordability and supply of these A bodies is what fuels our A body hobby. that is why all the people on THGIS site!??.....NOW, you go and pay someone to restore your car, and probably never get your $$ put into any A or even average B body! and probably not average E body. people that can do the work themselves are hard pressed to get their $$ out of bout any A body, and most B bodies. it all ads up, ... and add it up!!! get the total.. and NO, most buyers don't just drop that amount of cash into them, generally. those buyers are not plentiful.

our hobby is a hobby... not a business...... resto shops are a business.

I say, if the average price ( fair market value) of lets say a decent restored duster driver goes up 4-5,000$, then the cost of a d ecent project will go up also. SO again, even if you do all the work, you would be hard pressed to get your $$ out you put in, and definitely NO return on your labor. therefore, a hobby!! ?? IMO

Was shocked at the amount of cash I got for my 65 cuda just two weeks ago and I've been on the early a-bodies are gettin hot bandwaggon for awhile.
Wowser.

image.jpeg

and everything runs a cycle. those that have been in hobby like me, since mid 80's can attest to that. sometimes mopar are cheaper than the other brands, sometimes higher.

I laugh everytime I see somebody that has a 72-4 E body. used to ya could not pay someone to haul it off! its nice to be able to sell when prices are up, but it makes a lot of difference what part of the country you are selling in too.

cycles????? ha/// I can remember going down I 35 here in Missouri 1988 lets say. with a just freshly picked up 70 383 cuda, needs totally done. ( call it a "yard find").... before I could get home 2-3 people would flash their lights to pull me over and offer $3- 3500 for it. then 1992-3 a totally restored 440- 6 ( yes real V code car),,,, challenger was hard pressed to get $10,000 for it. cycles.......

M code went to the bid goes on in the low 60's

Nice 68 383 GTSX think was 40,000

And a few others brought strong money

There are still a body deals, the pink 66 Barracuda V8 bucket console car that was pretty much original paint rust free 4,000. It went to Country Classics

The Mexico 69 GTS gets rerun today

I think realistically the numbers matching big block cars, verts, and hi po small block cars will eventually go up in unobtainable value, but the average 318 cars and slant 6 cars though they may go up in value it wont be astronomical due to the fact that they are not the extremely rare and valuable cars and are rather the exception.

Everyone isn't a "hobbyist" and everyone isn't an "investor". This, like all others are money driven. Whether you are trying to keep the money down or trying to bring it up- it's about money. I have always liked the 67-70 A's but the bulk of owners will not pay for good parts. The aftermarket is driven by money and it is understood that A chryslers are a poor market to invest in. Everyone can cry about not having aftermarket or original parts are hard to find but it comes back to you, if you won't pay then why do you expect someone to loose money while you enjoy cheap or free stuff?

I paid $20k for my '73 Dart Sport 340 H code last Oct. I paid a little more because it was a California car with no bondo. A little mechanical things which have been mostly taken care. I did not want a project car.

Mopar resurgence is most definately feeding this. It bodes well for our aftermarket. Broke asses buy fords or chevys. The mopar base is a good fan base to have this new generation of interest and money build on. And the a body is the market entry into classic mopar.

I sell cars everyday, and people want chargers and challengers, badly.

It is a good thing.

-
Back