Initial settings on a fresh, modified, front suspension that needs aligning and tuning 70Dart

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The front an rear suspension has been completely rebuilt

I finally found a guy to tune my front suspension

I sure could use some specs for alignment

He'll be going to the a bodies "Skosh Chart"

The package:
70Dart /6 k frame with a 360 magnum
OE aftermarket bushing all thru, upper and lower control arms,
new ball joints, idler arm, Pittman arm, tie rods and ends etc, also OE

1.125 Hellwig front sway bar

16:1 manual steering box

good gas shocks all around

1.03 PST torsion bars

Moog offset upper control arm bushings (to get up to 2.5 degrees more caster to be able to effectively support modern radials

I am uncertain if the Skosh Chart is for factory stock or with some degree of
improvements. ??? Or is it baseline settings and then tune from there ???

I'm going to be racing on a road course with cones at the Public Safety Complex where they train law enforcement to drive. So..I want to get the best handling I can get

1/2 a degree of neg camber both sides
1/16 toe in
As much caster as you can dial in, it’ll probably end up near 5 degrees.

Good performance/street starting point

The SKOSH chart has a range of settings that you can see here, from “granny” to “AutoX”.

IMG_6332.jpeg

So, how you use the SKOSH chart depends on your application. If you’re planning on doing road course driving as well as street driving I’d be inclined to try for at least the “max performance street” settings in the SKOSH.

Generally you don’t want to set much more than -1° of camber with street use as you’ll start to get camber wear on your tires. And with stock UCA’s and offset bushings it’s unlikely you’ll get much better than +4° of caster. Some have managed more but it’s dependent on ride height and your car in general, some haven’t been able to even get +4° too. Despite what the SKOSH chart says though I’d be shooting for the maximum caster you can get with the offset bushings, even with the manual steering.

Not sure what you’re running for tires, they could very easily be your limiting factor.

The SKOSH chart has a range of settings that you can see here, from “granny” to “AutoX”.

View attachment 1716140864

So, how you use the SKOSH chart depends on your application. If you’re planning on doing road course driving as well as street driving I’d be inclined to try for at least the “max performance street” settings in the SKOSH.

Generally you don’t want to set much more than -1° of camber with street use as you’ll start to get camber wear on your tires. And with stock UCA’s and offset bushings it’s unlikely you’ll get much better than +4° of caster. Some have managed more but it’s dependent on ride height and your car in general, some haven’t been able to even get +4° too. Despite what the SKOSH chart says though I’d be shooting for the maximum caster you can get with the offset bushings, even with the manual steering.

Not sure what you’re running for tires, they could very easily be your limiting factor.
Thank you for posting, I am going to be setting my '72 up soon as was wondering as well, again thank you.

Thank you, 72bluNBlu I was hoping you would respond
Thank you for excellent advice

Inexpensive radials now, as test mules, so I don't eat up an expensive set of Nittos getting the suspension dialed in

-
Back