Inland vs Hurst shifter...what makes Hurst better?

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
Inland 4spd. vs Hurst Competition 4spd shifter...what makes Hurst better?
This is the second rebuilt tranny I using in the last 5000 miles because the Inland shifter doesn't slide like butter into gears unless I drive her 15 - 20 miles and even then she'll need some force to go into 3rd gear unless I get the rpms up to 3500 and shift. Both trannys did this in 3rd gear. My buddy double checked and we're using the correct fluid weight. He and another buddy suggested I would get better performance from a Hurst shfter vs. my factory Inland shifter in my '66 Barracuda with a mild 273 build up (about 285 - 300hp, 4.10 rear, console sifter) If I swap over to a HUrst what do I need...Hurst shifter, install kit, rods or is just a shifter swap out I can use the same rods. Any insight, part numbers is appreciated.

I had a inland in my 67 from the factory, and it worked great then. After the first rebuild I had problems with first to second. I had the trans rebuilt and still had the problem. It was a very slow shift to make it work. I now have a Hurst and when I drop in the new motor it will be going in. Inland shifters aren't very good.

If your transmission is hard to shift until the oil gets warmed up, I doubt the problem is your shifter.

But it does sound like you have a shifter linkage adjustment problem on top of other internal problems.

Now to the real question....... "Inland 4spd. vs Hurst Competition 4spd shifter...what makes Hurst better?"

The hurst is better in every way. It is simply, better built. Better engineered. More precise.

With that said, I have both a Hurst (Comp Plus) and the original Inland shifter for my car. I have used both.

If adjusted correctly the Inland is more than fine for daily driving and the occasional quick shift.

BUT, if you need reliable shifting at critical times (racing for example), the Hurst is what you want.

The inland feels a little more sloppy but works fine.

The hurst feels much more solid mechanically and snaps into place much more solid and you don't feel the extra give when you jamb it into gear with the Hurst as opposed to the inland.
I actually enjoyed my inland and never had a problem with it.
I also liked the reverse T handle operation.

I like the Hurst for the cool factor and the pistol grip lever plus it feels much more stout in every way.

If your transmission is hard to shift until the oil gets warmed up, I doubt the problem is your shifter.

But it does sound like you have a shifter linkage adjustment problem on top of other internal problems.

Now to the real question....... "Inland 4spd. vs Hurst Competition 4spd shifter...what makes Hurst better?"

The hurst is better in every way. It is simply, better built. Better engineered. More precise.

With that said, I have both a Hurst (Comp Plus) and the original Inland shifter for my car. I have used both.

If adjusted correctly the Inland is more than fine for daily driving and the occasional quick shift.

BUT, if you need reliable shifting at critical times (racing for example), the Hurst is what you want.
I agree. For the street and normal shifting, I like the Inland. I find it easier to shift and like the trigger reverse lockout. Racing is a different story. The Hurst shifter will take the abuse a lot better. I've heard of guys yanking the handle right off an Inland under drag race conditions. I've also heard of Hurst handles doing the same thing if it has the clip in handle although it's not quite as common. If you're not worried about originality, I'd use a Hurst with a bolt-in handle if you're going to put it through it's paces. If you're just going to putt around, any of them will work fine. The key is proper lubrication and adjustment.

I have a 68 340 car with inland-works great now but before I put bushings in it,it would hang sometimes-not every time but enough to where I bushed the rods

Thanks, fellas....I think I'll stick with the Inland for now. I do like to run through the gears hard every now and then but the cost factor of a new Hurst and install kit is not worth it to me right now. When I feel its time for the Hurst I'm also going to go with headers too!

-
Back