Inlet manifold gaskets

-

Old vc

Reaction score
I have a pair of 318 closed chamber heads with a water cross over,
casting No 2837020 ( 60 cc ) chambers and was wondering what inlet gaskets members are using? I'm not sure if the heads are an Australian specific head but the water cross over is in the same location as heads with an exhaust cross over but the opening is rectangular and doesn't have the half moon cut out.
Thanks in advance
Al.

Felpro blue, don't use the embossed steel shim type gaskets on the intake manifold. 65'

We use the Felpro 1243 intake manifold gaskets with the mopar 302 / 714 castings, Closed Chamber heads. Same heads that came stock on the '86 to '91 318s.

20200812_074301.jpg

20200812_074341.jpg

Usually do some port matching on the cylinder head side to open it up to the size of the gasket.

Fel-pro 1243 is what is used as well on my 318 with 302 heads too.

Thanks for all your replys. I was wrong with the casting Nos.
Nos cast on the heads are 2987026.
Does anyone know how thick the felpro 1243 gaskets are?
Thanks
Al.

Thanks
Al.

Help yourself and check out Felpro’s own website which lists the thickness of the gasket. No better place than to get the info directly from the source.

29xxxxx sounds like a 68-69 casting year. bad number? post a pic if you can....

The only water crossover heads I've seen are ones for a marine or industrial application with a totally different cooling system.

Thanks
Al.

1967 truck heads, HD stuff. I have a set on a 318.
Cover with thin .015-.020 pieces of metal and seal them with rtv over the cross overs at the heads...then just put you intake gaskets over them and bolt it down. Left open they allow coolant through the intake heat stove, only if you have egr valve will it get into the cylinders.

People dont realize those paper felpro gaskets arent gonna hold hot coolant, hell.. exhaust burns through them in a yr or so as well, so hot coolant is just gonna soften and pressure blast through for sure.

Thanks for all the good info.
I don't have an egr valve and yes I believe that the heads were for trucks. I picked up these heads new, a couple of years ago believing that they would be good for my build with small closed chambers. I am now only just finishing my build. I had a fel-pro gasket set which had the .015" thin metal gaskets but have seen on a few posts re builds that the metal ones aren't favoured. Is there any particular reason why members don't favour metal shim gaskets?
Thanks

Thanks for all the good info.
I don't have an egr valve and yes I believe that the heads were for trucks. I picked up these heads new, a couple of years ago believing that they would be good for my build with small closed chambers. I am now only just finishing my build. I had a fel-pro gasket set which had the .015" thin metal gaskets but have seen on a few posts re builds that the metal ones aren't favoured. Is there any particular reason why members don't favour metal shim gaskets?
Thanks
Well you could still block them and run the egr as a visual and just screw an alen set screw into the egr nipple and pop the hose over it. Just a visual, not functional. Say if there are any emissions laws

29xxxxx sounds like a 68-69 casting year. bad number? post a pic if you can....
Having trouble trying to post pics for the forum, I do have picks but I will have to send by email if you are willing to give me an address.
Heads are c.i. Laws for pollution are that you only have to comply with the pollution requirement for the year of the engine/ car ie if it is a 67 car/ engine then no pollut Requirements other than cv valve.
However if you put a late model hemi in a 67 car then you have to comply with 2020 pollution requirements.

-
Back