inner fender removal question

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
ok, i'm thinking about removing the inner fenders. car has cage in it already. need ideas on how the best way is to go about bringing bars through to the frame and removing the inner fenders. do i need to seam weld frame rails to strengthen them.
pics and advise greatly appreciated.
cheers

cut the >28 spot welds out while supporting the front end. The last supporting one will POP! Dont know about rewelding, mines waiting for J-bar installation to firewall, no cage. drill small pilot hole first as the spring loaded center is weak. Cheap *** HF cutter works great with pilot hole
image_13440.jpg

P1010898.JPG
cut the >28 spot welds out while supporting the front end. The last supporting one will POP! Dont know about rewelding, mines waiting for J-bar installation to firewall, no cage. drill small pilot hole first as the spring loaded center is weak. Cheap *** HF cutter works great with pilot holeView attachment 1715053495
good tools them. have used them on other projects with good results.
the inner fenders were in a bad state when i got the car and have a lot of filler. car has full cage, subframe connectors and front and rear rocker boxes.
opinions are divided on removal of fenderwells, but my car sees 60%+ of track duty and has turbo. engine bay temps get up there. engine bay is tight with all the turbo related gear. was intending to leave the upper shelf part in tact for aditional strength.

Last edited:
I would not go thru the engine compartment but keep them on the outside....like the Butch Leal / Direct Connection / California Flash /B/MP HemiDuster. The front bars / struts start up near the radiator, attach to the upper shock mounts, go thru the firewall, (attached to the side sill above the kick panel) then finish clear up at the top on the main hoop but could easily be added to any cage. A straight shot with less bends equals ...less weight and stronger product.

check out posts 166 and 179 (pictures tell the story). NO issues with the 27 " front tall tires either.
Turning back the clock

Last edited:
-
Back