inner fender replacement

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
on my 73 swinger one inner fender is rusty, does it unbolt or is it welded on?
thanks

Spot welds a-plenty and a couple of stitches too...

I replaced both inner fenders on my car.You really need the engine out to do it right.I used a spot weld cutter to do 99% of it.

Jim

I'm doing it now. I used a spotweld cutter to remove the old beat up inner fender no problem. Trouble is, the one I'm going to use as a replacement is also used, and trying to cut it out of the car, AND BE ABLE TO REUSE IT is easier said than done.
Thinking of buying a new repro piece, but it's $175 plus shipping.

George

George,
Just use regular drill bits to remove the one off the donor car. It is cheaper and faster since you do not need to worry if you are drilling in to the metal under it.

the replacements from a.m.d. fit awesome but the passenger side is not correct for later years Ie: does not have recessed area for the overflow bottle or the evap canister.If you can post pic's of the damaged area I may have some patch pieces for reasonable price and shipping cost

I have a complete passenger side from a 74 that I am probably gonna throw out anyway. I interested just pm me.

I couldn't get pics to post,but I need a piece that is 16 inches out from the firewall and goes from the flat part to the top where the fender bolts to.
Thanks
Mike

George,
Just use regular drill bits to remove the one off the donor car. It is cheaper and faster since you do not need to worry if you are drilling in to the metal under it.

You also don't end up with as big of a hole when your done. Most spot weld cutters are larger than a spot weld so when you weld it back up you won't get the correct look, the drill bit or using the spot weld cutter from the back side is the best way to save the panel you want to use.

George,

You also don't end up with as big of a hole when your done. Most spot weld cutters are larger than a spot weld so when you weld it back up you won't get the correct look, the drill bit or using the spot weld cutter from the back side is the best way to save the panel you want to use.
I wish I spoke to you guys BEFORE I started taking it apart. The thing is full of holes that need to be welded closed, and the lowest part where it runs along the frame towards the radiator support may have to be replaced entirely. :( Still kicking around the idea of a new one, but, Boy, thats a lot of dough for a piece of sheet metal.

Thanks guys. Sorry to "hijack".

George

I wish I spoke to you guys BEFORE I started taking it apart. The thing is full of holes that need to be welded closed, and the lowest part where it runs along the frame towards the radiator support may have to be replaced entirely. :( Still kicking around the idea of a new one, but, Boy, thats a lot of dough for a piece of sheet metal.

Thanks guys. Sorry to "hijack".

George

Take a piece of copper water pipe and and press it flat, make sure it is real smooth. Then clamp it to the back side of the larger holes, then you can weld up the hole a lot easier and the copper won't stick to the weld. Then all you have to do is clean up the one side and the hole is fixed.

the replacements from a.m.d. fit awesome but the passenger side is not correct for later years Ie: does not have recessed area for the overflow bottle or the evap canister.If you can post pic's of the damaged area I may have some patch pieces for reasonable price and shipping cost

Oh boy. I didn't know AMD or anyone else made them.
I would have spend the $$ and got them if i knew.
I used a donor set, lots of work but it can be done.
I found the metal would rip quite easy if you were not careful with the donor removal...its only metal- it can be fixed.

Take a piece of copper water pipe and and press it flat, make sure it is real smooth. Then clamp it to the back side of the larger holes, then you can weld up the hole a lot easier and the copper won't stick to the weld. Then all you have to do is clean up the one side and the hole is fixed.
Thanks Blownfish!

Geo

I bought a section of a inner fender from a member but never received it,so does anyone have a pass side section of a inner fender they would sell?(I can e-mail pics to your e-mail to show what section I need)
Thanks

-
Back