Inner fender wells

-

z_daddy

z_daddy
Reaction score
Has anyone ever remove their inner fender wells? If source can you tell me the easiest. Way to do this. Any special. Tools need? How difficult. Is this to done? Anything to worry. About.

After shock mount reinforcing you won't be saving much weight if any. Room is the only reason but that is still limited with the stock shock mounts in place! Then you will need a snout bar running from the front of the framerail to the cowl area, if not tied into the a-pillar bars coming from the main hoop.

Just my 2 cents!

Not hard to do. Just need to drill out the spot welds. They run along the rad support, down the frame rail, shock tower area has a few, and up the fire wall. There is also an extension between the fender and fire wall.

About 20lb for both fenders and extensions.

Like has been said, the shock towers are going to need braced back up with some kind of snout bar so weight savings is gong to be little to non or even weigh more. I just don't know as I have not got that far with mine yet.

I am doing it to my car because it is going to be BB drag car with fenderwell headers and I was going to run snout bars and a lower rad bar any way.

Attachments

• 100_6201.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 452
  • 100_6203.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 100_6205.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 456
Not hard to do. Just need to drill out the spot welds. They run along the rad support, down the frame rail, shock tower area has a few, and up the fire wall. There is also an extension between the fender and fire wall.

About 20lb for both fenders and extensions.

Like has been said, the shock towers are going to need braced back up with some kind of snout bar so weight savings is gong to be little to non or even weigh more. I just don't know as I have not got that far with mine yet.

I am doing it to my car because it is going to be BB drag car with fenderwell headers and I was going to run snout bars and a lower rad bar any way.

Never heard of snout bars, what do they look like?how do u put them in? Where do u get them? What do they do? Why do u need them@._

Never heard of snout bars, what do they look like?how do u put them in? Where do u get them? What do they do? Why do u need them@._

Inner fenders tie the front of the car together. So if you take them out there will be nothing to support the front frame rails. You will need to brace it back up along with the shock tower.

Have seen a few different ways to do it but here is a few pics of the most common way.

If you have a roll cage in the car you can run the bar through the fire wall and attach it to the down bars on the cage.

If you don't you can weld a plate to the fire wall then attach the bar to that.

Run the bar out and attach it to the shock mount then continue out and down to the front frame rail.

his will tie the front of the car back together.

Is also a good mounting point for a motor plate.

Think you can get the bars from MagnumForce. Or there is a member here that makes them too. Cant remember who it is though. Sorry.

Attachments

• 3n53m33ld5O55P15S6aa2ecc33e518df512e4.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 804
  • 74 DART DRAG CAR OCT 09 003 (1).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCN4218.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 489
  • tn.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 578
Imagine kind of upside down L. The long leg of the L will butt up against the firewall and the end of the short leg will butt up against the top side of the frame rail. In your case, the top of the stock shock tower will attach to the "snout" bar as well, to reinforce the top of the shock mount. You have to keep in mind that the engine compartment aprons act as an integral part of the car body's "frame". Since these cars don't have a separate frame like the GM cars, for instance, all of thse panels are there to support the structure of the car. When you remove these panels, you will typically need to replace their strengthening properties in another manner. The tubes talked about here are typically found on drag cars with greater than 6-point roll cages. You have probably seen them, they generally go through the firewall and then tie into an upright that kinda follows the A-pillar. Hope this helps. L8r

Has anyone ever remove their inner fender wells? If source can you tell me the easiest. Way to do this. Any special. Tools need? How difficult. Is this to done? Anything to worry. About.
Earlyhemibill here. Just added you to friends list. What's in the 68? Bill

With out any Support your car will fold its front end. You can get rear seat savers roll bar post from jegs those will work.

Get Badart's J bars to tie the front end together.

-
Back