Inner seal for green bearings

-
Also, "the book" shows installing with special toll blishi blashi which says to the effect "using tool xxxx properly positions the seal in housing to properly contact axle sealing surface."

I don't recall, anymore, if there's a shoulder for the seal to sit against (probably not) So measure the depth to be sure the seal is actually "on" the seal surface when installed. The fingerfull of grease to lube the seal will have no effect on axle lube.

Also, "the book" shows installing with special toll blishi blashi which says to the effect "using tool xxxx properly positions the seal in housing to properly contact axle sealing surface."

I don't recall, anymore, if there's a shoulder for the seal to sit against (probably not) So measure the depth to be sure the seal is actually "on" the seal surface when installed. The fingerfull of grease to lube the seal will have no effect on axle lube.
thanks. and there is a lip where i believe the inner seal should sit..but with the way the lip is, it appears that I should push the seal from the center outwards to get it in there correctly? is this correct? or does it go from the outside towards the center?

and a piece of the correct size PVC piping should work to get the job done right?

No, they go in from the axle bearing side. You really should get a shop manual. About a 72 and a 66 were posted here the other day

If you don't take the time, at least download the '72 and go down the page and get the '66

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

I have a 67 SM. I do not see a procedure for getting these inner seals in the shop manual though. Maybe its just supposed to be common knowledge. this is my first time every doing anything on a rear end before.

You don't need inner seals. The green bearings have a seal built in. The oring is to seal the outer race to the housing. Hunky

You don't need inner seals. The green bearings have a seal built in. The oring is to seal the outer race to the housing. Hunky
i know that i dont technically NEED them. its just added insurance of any gear oil leaking out the ends of the axle tubes like stated above^^

I have a 67 SM. I do not see a procedure for getting these inner seals in the shop manual though. Maybe its just supposed to be common knowledge. this is my first time every doing anything on a rear end before.

You are correct, it doesn't say much, depending on what year the manual is for. One manual made a comment that "the installation tool automatically positions the seal in the housing so the seal rides properly on the axle seal surface" or something to that affect. All they do show is the Chrysler drive tool. You'd have to measure how deep you want it seated --if there's no shoulder--to get it the correct depth

t7bsk4.jpg

bdttaw.jpg

-
Back