Inner seal for green bearings

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 rear end.. green bearings already pressed on. I don't have inner seals though.

Does anybody have a part number for these inner seals that I need???

I found them at kragen/oreilly in a whole bearing kit for $150 but thats not what I need..all that i need is the inner seal..

where can I get them??

thanks abody joe!
which seal is the inner though??

RE-4410 or RE-1309

i believe its RE-4410 that keeps the gear oil from getting into your bearings..is this correct?

if so, where would RE-1309 go?

someone else chime in here...but inner seals are not necessary when reunning the green bearings...????they use a O ring set up...

National 8695S

There's a cheap one at O'rielly's for 1.49 ea...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=8695s

At least you have some numbers to cross reference. the ID of the seal is 1.55"

how can you tell that this is the correct one?
i'm not doubting you at all..but i just have no idea what the part is actually supposed to look like, and i want to make sure that i buy a seal that will actually keep my gear oil sealed in there..thanks for taking your time finding that crackedback!

someone else chime in here...but inner seals are not necessary when reunning the green bearings...????they use a O ring set up...

ive read alot. and according to many people, they arent completely necessary..but its just added insurance that your gear oil wont end up leaking all the way out..with the inner seal installed there is no way for the gear oil to get to your brakes/tires..

also, although the greens are sealed bearings, theres still a chance that the thinner gear oil could make its way into the bearings and contaminate them..

somebody correct me if im wrong..but i believe i should still install them as added insurance..ive just done alot of reading on this, and that seems to be the thing to do

ive read alot. and according to many people, they arent completely necessary..but its just added insurance that your gear oil wont end up leaking all the way out..with the inner seal installed there is no way for the gear oil to get to your brakes/tires..

also, although the greens are sealed bearings, theres still a chance that the thinner gear oil could make its way into the bearings and contaminate them..

somebody correct me if im wrong..but i believe i should still install them as added insurance..ive just done alot of reading on this, and that seems to be the thing to do

That's the reason I run them. True they aren't technically necessary, it's just some insurance against the center section oil getting to the ends.

No sweat on the help. Had a slow moment working so it was something to fill time. LOL...
I measured an axle and verified the ID of the seal. Those part numbers should be right for the national seal from a cross reference. The OD appears correct as well.

If you have an axle out, take it with you and see if it slides on and looks to seal correctly.

What should the outer diameter be of the seal? I will bring an axle with me, but that will only make sure that the inner diameter of the seal is correct. Right? What should the outer diameter be? What's the inner diameter of the axle housing where the seal sits?

Also, what's the correct procedure for getting these seals correctly seated inside the housing.?

another question for those that have more knowledge than me..while looking at different sites where I can buy the inner oil seal, I came across a "vent screw" what is the purpose of this? is it necessary? right now, there is just a regular bolt in there..

is it somehow connected to the brakes?

The vent allows air to escape when the oil and gears heat up in use. Without the vent the housing will pressure up and force oil out the gaskets and seals.

The vent allows air to escape when the oil and gears heat up in use. Without the vent the housing will pressure up and force oil out the gaskets and seals.

Thanks. What is it's relation to the brakes? Is that brass "block" that I've seem also necessary? If so what is it's purpose. Thanks in advance

Thanks. What is it's relation to the brakes? Is that brass "block" that I've seem also necessary? If so what is it's purpose. Thanks in advance

Dang, dude, get a factory service manual! :)

The rear brake hose clips onto a bracket on the body. That's the end attached to the long rigid brake line that runs to the front of the car. The other end of the brake hose is a brass block. The brass block is a tee that sends brake fluid to the wheel cylinders. In the center of the brass block is a large thru hole used to mount the block to the rear axle tube. Rather than use a bolt, Mopar used the rear axle vent. Two birds with one stone.

Dang, dude, get a factory service manual! :)

The rear brake hose clips onto a bracket on the body. That's the end attached to the long rigid brake line that runs to the front of the car. The other end of the brake hose is a brass block. The brass block is a tee that sends brake fluid to the wheel cylinders. In the center of the brass block is a large thru hole used to mount the block to the rear axle tube. Rather than use a bolt, Mopar used the rear axle vent. Two birds with one stone.

Thanks for that. I have the 67 factory SM. I couldn't find this information in there though. Where in the SM does it talk about this? Also, when I removed the stock 7.25" rear, I Sony remember there being a vent bolt or that brass block. Do they not use them on the 7.25" ?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just a young gun who is eager to learn and building this dart on my own with no real prior experience. So thanks for any and all help!

Sorry for all the questions I'm just a young gun who is eager to learn and building this dart on my own with no real prior experience. So thanks for any and all help!

It's cool, I'm just messin with ya.

I checked into the rear brake hose deal, and the '67 would have used a tee that is NOT part of the hose. '72 and later brake hoses had the tee as a part of the hose.

From inlinetube.com:
H-648.JPG

I am not very familiar with the 7-1/4, other than the one that let go in my slant six Volare. Still, you have to have a tee in the rear brake line somewhere, and I've always seen them on the rear axle.

thats what i was thinking... green bearings, or sealed bearings just have an o ring around the out side of it...

True they aren't technically necessary, it's just some insurance against the center section oil getting to the ends.

I have no idea what the claimed specs for on these so called green bearings, but I'd bet the bearing seals are nowhere near the quality of OEM inner seals.

Also, Since the bearings are factory packed, it is possible that the factory grease and the lube oil might just deteriorate the lube quality in the bearing.

I say, run 'em --inner seals, that is.

It's cool, I'm just messin with ya.

I checked into the rear brake hose deal, and the '67 would have used a tee that is NOT part of the hose. '72 and later brake hoses had the tee as a part of the hose.
I am not very familiar with the 7-1/4, other than the one that let go in my slant six Volare. Still, you have to have a tee in the rear brake line somewhere, and I've always seen them on the rear axle.
thanks for checking that out..

another question is now that I have my inner seals..which way to they do in! one end is cupped and the other flat. I would think that the cupped end goes outwards? towards the bearings. because with traditional bearings, that would all be packed in grease, so the "Cup" of the inner seal would hold some bearing grease in it too.

Or does the Cup face inwards towards the center section?? i'll post 2 pics of the seal.. will be pressing them in tonight, so if anyone knows how they should be, help is greatly appreciated. Also, these do look like what the seals should look like right?? I bought them from kragen/oreiley with the part number that crackedback have me

Attachments

• inner1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 213
  • inner2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 240
Flat side faces out, spring side towards the center section.

Before you try to install them, pack that area holding the spring with bearing grease so the spring doesn't pop off when installing.

Cool that the number worked out and you saved some coin.

Flat side faces out, spring side towards the center section.

Before you try to install them, pack that area holding the spring with bearing grease so the spring doesn't pop off when installing.

Cool that the number worked out and you saved some coin.
if i pack that side thats facing the center section full of grease though, wont that grease contaminate the gear oil in the rear end?

-
Back