Input Needed

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
I Just Sold The Daughters 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Great Vehicle, Just A Little Hard On Fuel. My Kids Are Responsable For Their Fuel.
She Wants A Chrysler Crossfire. Whats The Pros & Cons. Lets Hear What You Think.

Insurance.

I know we are Mopar guys here but I would stick my kids in a Honda or Toyota.

Hate to say it but the last thing you ever want is your daughter walking in the middle of the night because her domestic car broke down.

The ONLY thing the Crossfire has going for it is style. It is basically the previous-generation Mercedes SLK with a different body style. The ride is very harsh and you sit very low. Gas mileage and reliability are poor.

Try to explain to your daughter that she would grow tired of that car pretty fast.

If she wants a two seater sports car, it is hard to beat a Miata for price, fuel economy and reliability.

You can get a low milage used (with removable hard top) and save…

I'm Just Not An Import Guy. When I Worked For Toyota, I Saw My Fair Share Of Buy-backs & Lemons. I Have Been Driving & Racing Chrysler Products For 34 Years. I Have Never Walked Home. I Strayed Once From The Fold, I Bought Her A New Beetle With Low Miles. I Had To Pick Her Up More Than Once, When This Turd Broke Down. I Put An Oil Pump In It At 50k.
I Never Had To Worry About The Jeep. I Wish She Had Kept It.

Just wanted to comment on this post….

Volkswagen….. Is nothing like Toyota or Honda.

I realize you may have seen some buy backs working for Toyota but if you had been working for GM, Ford or Chrysler you would have probably seen many more.

You asked for input…… For a daughter (if it were me) the choice would be all about overall brand reliability not brand loyalty.

Sorry…. Im a realist when it comes to family safety.

I'm with you about not being an import guy. I believe the Crossfire uses a Mercedes engine though.

It's her money, let her buy whatever she pleases. If she makes a mistake then she just learns from it... if it's not her money, tell her to go get some so she can buy her own car... not really a parents responsiblilty imo.

If she really does need a car I would go with something from toyota or honda... you can pick them up cheap. The miata was a good idea as well if she wants a 2 seater.

You asked for input....

Since Vw Is The Number 1 Car Company In The World, You Would Think It Would Be Better Than Toyo & Honda. What I Saw While Working At Toyota, Was The Typical Import Owner Will Spend Money On Maintenace Services Before A Domestic Customer Will. So The Question Is, Is It A Better Car Or Just Better Maintained. This May Be Why I Havn't Had To Walk In The Last 34 Years. I Do Prevent Maint On My Vehicles.
I Bought A New 2000 Dodge, The Toyo Salesman Bought A New Tundra. He Told Me I Was An Idiot. Well 6 Months Later & One Pair Of Camshafts, 2 Frt Diffs, & A Engine Wiring Harness Later. I Let Him Know That My Dodge Had Not Been Back To The Dealer. So Much For Japanese Quaility. This Is Not An Isolated Story. We Had Engine Replacement & Head Gasket Problems With The 3.4 V6s. When We Were Slow, We Just Started Making Phone Calls For The Recall Customers. I Do Get A Little Bent When I Hear That The Jap Imports Are So Much Better. They Are Just Better At Keeping Their Problems Under Wraps. Oh Yea, Don't Forget About The Oil Sludging Problem That Toyota Covered Up. Every Certified Used Toyo Got A New Oil Filler Cap.

Since Vw Is The Number 1 Car Company In The World, You Would Think It Would Be Better Than Toyo & Honda. What I Saw While Working At Toyota, Was The Typical Import Owner Will Spend Money On Maintenace Services Before A Domestic Customer Will. So The Question Is, Is It A Better Car Or Just Better Maintained. This May Be Why I Havn't Had To Walk In The Last 34 Years. I Do Prevent Maint On My Vehicles.
I Bought A New 2000 Dodge, The Toyo Salesman Bought A New Tundra. He Told Me I Was An Idiot. Well 6 Months Later & One Pair Of Camshafts, 2 Frt Diffs, & A Engine Wiring Harness Later. I Let Him Know That My Dodge Had Not Been Back To The Dealer. So Much For Japanese Quaility. This Is Not An Isolated Story. We Had Engine Replacement & Head Gasket Problems With The 3.4 V6s. When We Were Slow, We Just Started Making Phone Calls For The Recall Customers. I Do Get A Little Bent When I Hear That The Jap Imports Are So Much Better. They Are Just Better At Keeping Their Problems Under Wraps. Oh Yea, Don't Forget About The Oil Sludging Problem That Toyota Covered Up. Every Certified Used Toyo Got A New Oil Filler Cap.

Look into maybe an older jetta or golf then? I personally would like to have one as a DD

Tell me you are not really arguing Domestic quality over Toyota….. I hope not because that would be silly.

Every car company is going to have some bad apples slip through……. But Toyota is known world wide for quality and reliability….. That fact can't be argued.

VWs are known for poor reliability and oil consumption…. Style over quality.

A co-worker had 2 rear ends put in his 06 Ram in one year (under warranty)…. We can go round and round with this….

But facts are facts…. Toyota probably builds the most consistently reliably product line in the world.

If you must stay Mopar and want good MPGs get her a Neon.

I would love to have a Crossfire for my daily driver! My present daily is an 05 Grand Cherokee Hemi, so I know what you mean about the milage. Just check at your local Chrysler dealer and make sure they have a certified Crossfire Tech on staff.

Ok, lets stop the beating up and debate of quality and etc.... Your opinion is asked and someone is looking for help, not a war on who is better or not. It's a dead horse.

Leave your advice and move on.

Get her a Neon. I have had two. Good reliable cars that get good MPG and have never left me stranded.

Get her a Neon. I have had two. Good reliable cars that get good MPG and have never left me stranded.

Yep as long as you get one in good shape they are very reliable. We had great luck with my mom's 2001 neon up until we traded it in.

I agree with the Neon. I've never owned one but I've rented them a few times when traveling. Gas mileage was very good and the performance was pretty good for a 4 banger too. If she gets bored with the stock performance they're pretty easy to hot rod.

I agree with the Neon. I've never owned one but I've rented them a few times when traveling. Gas mileage was very good and the performance was pretty good for a 4 banger too. If she gets bored with the stock performance they're pretty easy to hot rod.

A friend built one for autocross... not all that fast but he sure got it to handle pretty well. They're fun little cars.

Expensive to maintain.Theres nothing cheap on those cars,most parts i sell for them come in Mercedes boxes,you know what that means $$$$$$$$
Add the insurance costs in,fuel,(22 mpg est.),she would be better off in the Jeep.

They were overrated and over priced when new,a guy can pick one up for what seems cheap and well under book but theres a reason for that too,there hard to move off the lot,we had a few on our lot for a long,long time!Just my thoughts,good luck.

Picking up an 08 Crossfire Saturday. Prices look good right now. I like German and American. It's up to you, Its a different kinda of car a love it or hate it. Like most Mopars. I've had dodge's and porsche's all my life . this should be a good summer car for my wife.

The wife drives an 06 Charger R/T with a 5.7 and it gets 25 MPG on the road. With that said the V6 SXT version of the same car should get maybe 30 MPG. It's bigger also so she could haul something if she needed to and it should protect her more in the event of a crash. What kinda a money do we have to work with? That will help on our recommendations.
Small Block

If 20mpg is Ok with you I love my late 90's NON grand Cherokee 4.0L

My .02 Than again a Neon SRT4 would be a blast! I need the 4X4 in my Jeep for the winter driving.

Ok, lets stop the beating up and debate of quality and etc.... Your opinion is asked and someone is looking for help, not a war on who is better or not. It's a dead horse.

Leave your advice and move on.

The voice of reason! I don't have any advice, one way or another, so I'll just move on.

Honestly the crossfire is burned in my mind as being the worst new car I have ever driven. Low uncomfortable no performance to brag about and HUGE blindspots, the back window is like a sliver. I hated it.

I started down this path once myself. I sold my '68 B'cuda ragtop in '08 and was looking for another convertible of some kind. I got the itch for a Crossfire REAL bad. I got enough out of the '68 to buy a real nice low-low mile Crossfire 'vert and have money left over so I thought this might be an option.

I did some research and finally decided to go another route. The Crossfire is 80+% Mercedes content and a fairly complicated car mechanically and electronically. I doubt that's a problem when they are fairly new (Mercedes seem to be favorably spoken of by their owners) but service and repairs could be quite costly down the road. As mentioned Chrysler dealers had to have a tech specifically trained about the Crossfire before they could sell them. As was also mentioned it would be in your best interest to follow a strict maintenance schedule. If done at a dealer I believe oil changes are in the $80 range. They hold a lot of oil and I believe they specify 0w-20 synthetic oil or something similar.

I drove one and liked the handling and performance but finally decided not to buy one. Finding a dealer to work on it if needed could be a problem in the area where I live and repairs would sure be expensive.

I also noticed they don't hold their value well. I casually shopped for a few months and noticed during that time the price was dropping like a rock. I saw a few days ago a dealer in OK had just purchased 50 new units (08s!) from Chrysler and was selling them for about 50% off sticker.

However, all that said I talked to a few owners and they all loved their cars so my opinion is worth just what I'm charging for it. :toothy10:
Dallas

-
Back