Input please

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I need some input on what set up I should be looking at running. At the moment this is what I have.

360 + "40" V8 hyper flat top pistons
Comp cam 227-4 hyd .525 lift
J heads ported polished 2.02 inlet 1.65 Ex double springs
Roller rockers 1.5 ratio
Edelbrock Performer duel plan inlet manifold
750cfm vac sec carb
custom 4 into 1 headers with 2 1/2 pipes & straight though mufflers
Accel electronic dizzy & super stock coil
Trans
727 auto
2500 stall
stage 2 shift kit
HD cluches & bands
Rear
3.9 to 1 LSD.
Tyres
M/T street slicks 235 60 15's

I have added spring clamps to the front section of the rear springs
& fabricated & welded in a set of chassis connectors.

This set up has run 12.911 @ 103.89MPH.

I have purchased an Edlebrock RPM air gap for it.

Now the big question is what carb would you recommend I use ??? I know most racers run double pumper carbs should I change or stay with the vac secondary carb.

& my second question would I benifit from adding a MSD 6-AL.

All help greatfully appreciated

Thanks Oz

A Holley 650 Hp Dbl Pump and air gap would work great. You really need more converter,and a 904. A good converter and 904 trans would pick you up 6-8 tenths. But then you would be wanting Cal-Tracs and Mono Leafs, and trick shocks and better cam and your in the elevens still looking for something to improve it a little more, lol, It never ends..............

A Holley 650 Hp Dbl Pump and air gap would work great. You really need more converter,and a 904. A good converter and 904 trans would pick you up 6-8 tenths. But then you would be wanting Cal-Tracs and Mono Leafs, and trick shocks and better cam and your in the elevens still looking for something to improve it a little more, lol, It never ends..............

Thanks for the input what RPM converter do you think would be best.

Why would a 904 be better then the 727 ???

We are heading to the track on Wednesday night next week which will allow us to get a few more runs in before I make any changes will also tell us what the car is really capable of as we haven't launched it at full stall yet.

I have also purchased a set of adjustable 90/10 front shocks.

I am taking everything in at the moment it sure is 1 big learning curve.

Thanks again

whats you compression need to know def would go for a 650 holly or demand depending on how much money you want to spend 3000 stall for street yous is good. is this a steet car of strip what kind of distributar are you yousing and what kind of number are you looking for if you have any questions pm me have fun

Thanks for the input what RPM converter do you think would be best.

Why would a 904 be better then the 727 ???

We are heading to the track on Wednesday night next week which will allow us to get a few more runs in before I make any changes will also tell us what the car is really capable of as we haven't launched it at full stall yet.

I have also purchased a set of adjustable 90/10 front shocks.

I am taking everything in at the moment it sure is 1 big learning curve.

Thanks again

A 650 is too small. A 750 Double Pumper would work much better. Also a 904 would net you .4 to .5 in E.T. and around 5 mph. I went through almost this exact same situation that you are now and switching to a 904 just about floored me. I went from 12.92 to 12.46 in a weeks time. At around that time I went from a 650 DP to a 750 DP just before the trans swap. It went from running 13.20s@99 to 12.90s@103. Then it ran 109 with the 904. I say if you have the ability to go 904, do it, you wont believe the difference.

whats you compression need to know def would go for a 650 holly or demand depending on how much money you want to spend 3000 stall for street yous is good. is this a steet car of strip what kind of distributar are you yousing and what kind of number are you looking for if you have any questions pm me have fun

Hi Robert 68

My comp is 10.3.......I was looking at a 750 Demon but so far have not been convinced that it would be of any benifit.

At the moment the car is a street & strip car but I can see in the future that it will become strip only.

The distributor is a Accel electronic with a Accel super coil.

We are not looking for any spacific numbers as when we started out we wanted to run 13 flat but are now running consistant 12.9.

It will do better as we were only launching at 2000rpm that is why I want to get back to the strip & give it a few runs launching at 2500rpm to see what difference it makes.

Biggest problem it is the middle of winter here & the strip is 2 hours away so with rain & travel we haven't been able to get any more runs in for 3 months but fingures crossed we will next week.

A 650 is too small. A 750 Double Pumper would work much better. Also a 904 would net you .4 to .5 in E.T. and around 5 mph. I went through almost this exact same situation that you are now and switching to a 904 just about floored me. I went from 12.92 to 12.46 in a weeks time. At around that time I went from a 650 DP to a 750 DP just before the trans swap. It went from running 13.20s@99 to 12.90s@103. Then it ran 109 with the 904. I say if you have the ability to go 904, do it, you wont believe the difference.

Thanks for that info you are right we are in the same boat. I was told that a double pumper would yealled me .10 on my ET so at the moment I don't think it is a worth while addition.

The only question I have is will a 904 converter fit up to my 360 with the counter weight at the front ???

What RPM converter are you running ???

Cheers Graham

I would check the distributor your using and see when full advance is coming in. I like the mp units,simple,fast curve and no worries. I think the mp units are calibrated for full advance by 2000 rpm.

I would check the distributor your using and see when full advance is coming in. I like the mp units,simple,fast curve and no worries. I think the mp units are calibrated for full advance by 2000 rpm.

I had it recurved last time it was on the rollers & it is working perfectly

Thanks Gra

i see you are running j heads wich is good now did you buy ajustuble rockers and did you have you heads shaved by chance ????

904 has smaller internals and lots less friction, If you get a good convertor you can even have more stall and still be ok on the street, I would talk to PTC converters,if your interested, Good product and good price. I would stick to Holley Carbs , my preference or Quick Fuel. I went from a 727 with a T.A. 3800 stall to a 904 and 5000 stall 8" PTC and picked up 7 tenths,but I had more cam than you. You will also need a different driveshaft.

Thanks for that info you are right we are in the same boat. I was told that a double pumper would yealled me .10 on my ET so at the moment I don't think it is a worth while addition.

The only question I have is will a 904 converter fit up to my 360 with the counter weight at the front ???

What RPM converter are you running ???

Cheers Graham

Yes it will, you can either get a converter with the weight or a SFI flexplate from B&M with a weight on it. I purchased my converter from Continental Torque Converters in Inglewood Ca. It was a 10 inch 3000 stall. Judging from the specs of your motor you will LOVE a 750 dp Holley. It will not only pick up some mph in the quarter AND drive great on the street. A 650 will drive the same, why would you leave hp on the table especially when there is no down side to it?

i see you are running j heads wich is good now did you buy ajustuble rockers and did you have you heads shaved by chance ????

I am using roller rockers 1.5 ratio. Heads have only been cleaned up they are 65 cc chambers.

904 has smaller internals and lots less friction, If you get a good convertor you can even have more stall and still be ok on the street, I would talk to PTC converters,if your interested, Good product and good price. I would stick to Holley Carbs , my preference or Quick Fuel. I went from a 727 with a T.A. 3800 stall to a 904 and 5000 stall 8" PTC and picked up 7 tenths,but I had more cam than you. You will also need a different driveshaft.

Yes it will, you can either get a converter with the weight or a SFI flexplate from B&M with a weight on it. I purchased my converter from Continental Torque Converters in Inglewood Ca. It was a 10 inch 3000 stall. Judging from the specs of your motor you will LOVE a 750 dp Holley. It will not only pick up some mph in the quarter AND drive great on the street. A 650 will drive the same, why would you leave hp on the table especially when there is no down side to it?

OK guy's you have convinced me I will be getting a 3200 stall & fitting the 904 as well as a 750 DP. Which would you recommend a square bore or spread bore ???

are you rocker the ajustabe kind or are the pedistal tipe just wondering becuse if its the shalft tipe make sure the amount you shaved your heads you put shims under the shalft thats why i asked what you com, was is it like 165 to 185 because you could be missing out on some poneys hope this helps

What work was done to the 750 VS? Does it have the secondary metering plate and you've changed the secondary spring? I don't think a DP will do much for you besides add more levels of compleity and tuning, and kill the street manners in terms of gas mileage. As it sits, the car is IMO still a little slow. Similar builds I know of are 12.8-12.60s all day in the heavier later A's. I think the intake (not the Performer RPM, right?) is holding you back a little. If your ignition is curved well and it doesnt miss, IMO MSD would be more of a luxury than a "magically faster" pill, but I think improvements could be found. 104mph says you should be about .3 faster. What is your 60' time? Do the tires spin at all?

:cheers:Hi ozcuda the reason the 904 is faster, it's geared lower and is about 100 lbs lighter. My car is fitted with a 904 with a cheata revers manule valve body 8 in 5000 stall conv. Which stalls at 5500, you need to run 1.45 to 1.50 60 ft. Times. If you are running 1/4 mile you will need to run 433/456 gears,.1/8 mile 488/513 gr. Carb 750 proform holly. Engine needs to pull through 7200 rpm's your tires will need to be in 10.5x30 or 31 x15 slicks. My car runs a 360 20 over with j heads roller cam with roller rockers elect water pump no alt. It runs 6.90 1/8 and 10.90 1/4 mi. Car weighs 3100 lbs. If you like juicing it a 200 shot will knock off .7 sec. Super stock springs moved in with snubber will work good on rear. My car has a complete msd sys. If you want to save money buy a hei. Off ebay and curve it. They work just as good and under $100.00 the double pumper pro form dosn'nt need any work just jetting.you will need at least 15 inch collecter ext on headers. Good luck gary!!

are you rocker the ajustabe kind or are the pedistal tipe just wondering becuse if its the shalft tipe make sure the amount you shaved your heads you put shims under the shalft thats why i asked what you com, was is it like 165 to 185 because you could be missing out on some poneys hope this helps

Hi Robert,

My roller rocker are shaft mounted & are adjustable.

Cheers Gra

What work was done to the 750 VS? Does it have the secondary metering plate and you've changed the secondary spring? I don't think a DP will do much for you besides add more levels of compleity and tuning, and kill the street manners in terms of gas mileage. As it sits, the car is IMO still a little slow. Similar builds I know of are 12.8-12.60s all day in the heavier later A's. I think the intake (not the Performer RPM, right?) is holding you back a little. If your ignition is curved well and it doesnt miss, IMO MSD would be more of a luxury than a "magically faster" pill, but I think improvements could be found. 104mph says you should be about .3 faster. What is your 60' time? Do the tires spin at all?

The carb has been jetted the secondary spring has been changed but it has no secondary metering plate.

I think it is capable of 12.8's allday the way it is with the right track conditions.

Intake is just a Eddie Preformer I will be fitting a RPM airgap in the next few weeks.

Ignition was recurved but I forgot to ask them what they did so I will in a few weeks when I get the new manifold on.

Went to the track last night was a mistake was freezing first run 13.08 at 105mph was what I expected as it was only a warm up but next run the sun had gone down & a very very cold wind was blowing & the track lost all it's grip 7 we had wheel spin off the line & for at least 1/2 track so waiting for warmer weather before we head back should only be a few weeks till winter is over & things start to warm up & the days will get longer.

We increased our MPH just by going from 70's to 72 jets so that was a good thing

Our best 60 foot was 1.8 so far

The tryes don't usually spin but last night they did as I said it was very cold even after the runs the tyres still felt like they were just warm.

:cheers:Hi ozcuda the reason the 904 is faster, it's geared lower and is about 100 lbs lighter. My car is fitted with a 904 with a cheata revers manule valve body 8 in 5000 stall conv. Which stalls at 5500, you need to run 1.45 to 1.50 60 ft. Times. If you are running 1/4 mile you will need to run 433/456 gears,.1/8 mile 488/513 gr. Carb 750 proform holly. Engine needs to pull through 7200 rpm's your tires will need to be in 10.5x30 or 31 x15 slicks. My car runs a 360 20 over with j heads roller cam with roller rockers elect water pump no alt. It runs 6.90 1/8 and 10.90 1/4 mi. Car weighs 3100 lbs. If you like juicing it a 200 shot will knock off .7 sec. Super stock springs moved in with snubber will work good on rear. My car has a complete msd sys. If you want to save money buy a hei. Off ebay and curve it. They work just as good and under $100.00 the double pumper pro form dosn'nt need any work just jetting.you will need at least 15 inch collecter ext on headers. Good luck gary!!

Hi Gary,

I have been looking into the 904 more & will be going down that path very soon I just got to find a good trans shop to build me 1 there aren't to many here who know how to make a Torqueflite perform they just want to put H/D clutches & bands fit a shift kit & a better stall then tell you that it is good to go. which for a street car would be OK but I want to thrash it so I want it built right first time.

Thanks for the info I am taking everything in at the moment so every bit of info helps.

Cheers Graham

I run a 904 with a 8 inch 4500 stall behind my 408 in my 66 Dart.It runs 11.20@118mph,60 fts at 1.56.I,m having a blast with it trying to get in the 10,s.With these improvements,you,ll be on your way to 11,s.Good luck!

G'day Oz,:-D I think a 904 swaps a good one to.
And yep a bit better converter will be a good thing while ya doin it.
Dominello are your closest I think then The Converter Shop or
Dominator and TCE are both in melbourne, shop around tho, converters are dear!
You could also get a shelf TCI or Coan from mancini, just price it up mate.
If your still running the Bog Warmer diff, you could just find an 80's pintara and get the 411 gears out of it?
But the pinion is longer in the 82 and up housings so dont install the collapsible spacer, just shim it.
Sounds like ya on the rite track tho, good luck.

if you can find out how much they shaved off you heads and block and stick the amount they took of under the rocker shalf to get you rocker rasheo back its easey to do and a lot of people over look it alls you need is some shimms if you have what this will doo is give your cam the lift its supposto sorry guy about the spelling which in turn will give you more compession . hope this help i hade it happen to me and i play with a lot of them robert

I apologize if I just misread... But do you have the jets in the secondaries now? If so, what are they? If you get mph going up to 72s on the primary, go up 2-4 sizes on the secondary side and see what it does. What spring is in the secondaries?

I run a 904 with a 8 inch 4500 stall behind my 408 in my 66 Dart.It runs 11.20@118mph,60 fts at 1.56.I,m having a blast with it trying to get in the 10,s.With these improvements,you,ll be on your way to 11,s.Good luck!

G'day Oz,:-D I think a 904 swaps a good one to.
And yep a bit better converter will be a good thing while ya doin it.
Dominello are your closest I think then The Converter Shop or
Dominator and TCE are both in melbourne, shop around tho, converters are dear!
You could also get a shelf TCI or Coan from mancini, just price it up mate.
If your still running the Bog Warmer diff, you could just find an 80's pintara and get the 411 gears out of it?
But the pinion is longer in the 82 and up housings so dont install the collapsible spacer, just shim it.
Sounds like ya on the rite track tho, good luck.

Hi Guy's,

I have found a transmission shop only a few hours away they are called Protrans they build performance transmissions check out there web site. I will be giving them a call Monday.

http://www.protrans.com.au

Thanks for the info keep it coming please.

-
Back