Input shaft hub?

-

Fishyink

Reaction score
I have a 408 stroker in my Duster. The first time that I really pushed it I broke the input shaft hub. Are the stock ones a weak point in a 727? What kind of horsepower are they typically good for? I'm estimating that my car in the in the 600 hp range.

I see that A&A Transmissions sells a stainless steel one and an aluminum one but they are a little on the expensive side if I don't really need one.

Thanks for any input on this!

Shad

Duster input hub - 2.jpg

Duster input hub.jpg

Yeah, I believe you might need to upgrade, I had to catch my breath from laughing, but the proof is in the pictures! May want to consider building an A998 with the lower gear sets and internals. It would probably be advisable to PM VOETOM (AKA Tom Hand), who wrote the book, literally on torqueflites.

Last edited:
I believe your a little beyond that 600hp range with that combo, that is one stout combination!

Keep in mind that in all likelihood, those parts have a lot of miles on them. And do really want to put that amount of horsepower in front of a pile of old parts? You've probably spent a lot of $$$ on the engine, so why cheap out on the rest of the drive train. High performance doesn't come cheaply.

Ouch, I’ve never seen that happen b4. I’ve built hundreds of 727s. Chrysler put some HD shafts in the Hemi and 440-6 trannys. They are identified by a dallop of yellow paint on the end of the shaft. I have 1 tranny behind a 800 plus 511 and no problems so far. Kim

Like Kim I've done numerous 727's behind some pretty potent power-plants and never saw it happen either. But as Transman said they are getting older so metal fatigue probably was the culprit. Generally I figure the stock stuff is safe at 650-675 hp all day long

Haven't seen a broken one.
Consider it an anomaly.
Magnaflux the next one, to be sure, - If IT breaks, then consider alternatives.

-
Back