Input shaft (worm gear) play

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I just had my 65 Dart at shop getting my rebuilt p.s. box adjusted and front end alignment done. Way to much play in new box :( technician showed me that the input shaft was flexing in and out as we turned steering wheel back and forth. I'm double checking here first if there should be any shaft movement before calling company to see what they'll do. Last thing I want to do start of summer is take time to pull out box again and send in to get fixed.

Do you mean by 'flexing in and out' that the input shaft is moving/shifting in and out along its axis, i.e., towards or away from the steering wheel? There is some small in and out movement of the worm shaft (input shaft) as part of the normal operation... it is this movement that activates the valve that directs the pressurized fluid flow for power assist. How much is normal... I don't know the answer. I am pretty sure there will be more movement if the engine and pump are not running.

Last edited:
I did a bunch of research on rebuilt power steering boxes when I was considering replacing mine. From what I could learn, most of the rebuilds just replace seals and a few internal parts put them back together. The gears and hard parts not available as replacements. This means that that you get what you get, maybe good, maybe bad. The only exception seems to be Firm Feel or Steer and Gear. All the reviews seem to indicate that they do it right, but the cost is much higher.

I did go with Steer & Gear and it turns out it was my fault (operator err). When I put things back together I had the shoes that go in the coupler turned the wrong way. Pulled column out to check and sure enough :( switched things around took car for a spin and much better. Thanks for your guys input

What you see, I presume is with the box not connected to the steering column? This is not play in the worm gear. Install the column and make sure that the output shaft in the steering box is turned so that it is all the way in and then make sure that the column is installed so that it is fully seated onto the shaft and tighten it in place. Then see what your play is at the steering wheel and adjust at the box as needed.

Sounds to me the large threaded section in the front of your box is not tighten properly.

What you see, I presume is with the box not connected to the steering column? This is not play in the worm gear. Install the column and make sure that the output shaft in the steering box is turned so that it is all the way in and then make sure that the column is installed so that it is fully seated onto the shaft and tighten it in place. Then see what your play is at the steering wheel and adjust at the box as needed.
Steering column cannot and should not prevent this shaft movement. Travel/movement designed into the box coupling will allow the steering shaft to travel lengthwise also.

Turns out I put the coupling together incorrectly. I pulled it apart fixed it and now steering is great. There was no problem with the box it was me :BangHead:. Thanks for everyones help

-
Back