Inside block paint

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
Ive seen some pics of peoples motors while they are putting them together and they have painted the valley area on the inside of the block. WHY do they do it??
WHAT kind of paint is it??
WAS thinking of doing it too my block,should I??

It's done to seal the casting. "Glyptal" or good old Rustoleum red primer work.

Jaguar, Triumph and others actually painted the insides of their block castings. I don't know what they used, but it survived the hot tank on the last TR 4 cyl my dad did.

Overkill, but I've been known to do it.

lol, only fords need it, as the valley passages are too small to get rocker oil back down to the pan.

Two reasons to do it:
1) As C130 Chief said, to seal the block
2) To aid oil drainback - a little 'slipperier' surface so the engine oil drains back easier and quicker to the pan

Overkill? Probably
Necessary? No, but like chicken soup when you're sick, it sure can't hurt

I've done it on all the engines I've built, and Rustoleum red primer works just fine.

I`ve read it`s supposed to speed up the return of oil to the pan. Many engine builders will go in and clean up the casting of their blocks with grinders to remove all of the extraneous casting material and smooth the surfaces. Then they`ll apply the paint to slicken the finish.

X2 above I use Varniseal from Lawson Products on blocks, Heads, diffs and housings.

OK, bench racing. I always debur, no paint, on a 340. Never had a problem with oiling in a mopar. Period. So Fords and GMC do? Need the paint?
This will be like a "what kind of oil?" thread.

my friend used the Glyptal, have no idea why he used that over anything else. guy had been racing since the 60's and he was one of those poeple that did stuff a certain way just because he has always done it that way.

just hit me why he painted the inside of the block. it was believed that it not only helped oil flow, but it was to seal the pores of the metal locking in any microscopic metal shavings, dirt or what have you from the machining process....makes the same amount of sense to me now as it did then, none.....maybe i need another :drinkers::dontknow:

Why red primer and not just red paint??

The Glyptol is very very resistant to oil and even, as said above, a good hot tanking. This stuff dry's in a way that leaves the surface tighter than other things like paint and primer, which can flake off into the engine. It will last and last and last...

Oil wise, IMO, without getting crazy and splitting hairs which is the best oil, I'll just say a quality oil and a zinc additive, like in example, a bottle from Comp Cams ethier in a additive bottle of zinc or zinc oil. AKA Break in Oil.

Joe Gibbs has been thrown around here as of late. I wonder about the Rototiller SP!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about is Mike. If youreally want to do this, I'd have it done before anything was bolted on. Right after it was machined, I'd have it done. Whip out the degreaser. ("Greezzz Off" is very very good)

-
Back