Inside Hood release question

-

thomasjkt

Reaction score
I have an inside hood release from a 74 Duster and I want to put it in my 72 Demon, does any one have a picture or tell me where to find a diagram of how this is routed under the hood and how the heck it connects to the actual hood release mechanism. Probably sounds stupid but I'm frustrated with trying to figure it out:banghead:

I can tell you how it's routed in a '74 Dart Sport - don't know if the '72 is the same.
Under the bottom lip of the dash, just a few inches off the kick panel (obviously, left of the steering column) is where the release handle mounts. Hopefully, the '72 has the screw holes, too, to help locate the mounting bracket.

Crouch down and look along a line of sight straight through the location that I described where the handle should mount. The release cable is fairly stiff, so look for a spot on the firewall where you would expect it to head towards, fairly level with the lower lip of the dash. See if you can locate a bump that was stamped in the firewall, protruding inward towards you.

Now, go under the hood and look on the firewall for a dimple (actually, the backside of the bump), just above the flat horizontal surface of the inner fender where it meets the firewall, and just under the sealed seam between the firewall and cowl sheet metal components. You will have to drill a hole through the firewall at that dimple and thread the cable through. The release cable has a rubber grommet that will seal the hole (don't drill the hole too large). The cable will lie on top of the inner fender and run behind the battery.

The cable will pass through the large hole in the radiator support where the front wiring harness goes through. It will turn parallel to the radiator support and end up at the hood latch. I don't have photos to show you, yet, but the cable should have a loop on the end that slips over a button on the latch. There is also a clip on the end of the cable sheath that mounts it to the latch and provides a small amount of security by shielding the cable from prying tools.

I'm doing this all from memory, so I apologize if things are found to be a bit different than what I described. As soon as I can, I'll try to confirm all of this with my son who drives his Dart Sport we installed the cable in.

Jerry

The place I am having trouble with is where it hooks to the latch. when standing infront of the car looking at the latch, the latch would need pulled toward the passenger side to release, I see no way to hook this up and have the latch mechanism pull to the passenger side. I'm thinking I am missing something, if you could send me a pic of the cable going to and hooking to the latch that would be wonderful. I have the cable routed just issues at the latch end. Thanks for all your help

Did you not get the latch mechanism with the release cable ?
I've never tried to hook the cable to the hand operated release.

yep and they are actually the same, one just has a lever and the other has a button for the cable to fit over

can you send me a pic of the assembly mounted to the support on your Duster

How's this ??

Firewall

3-1.jpg

Latch

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

Thanks for the pics but that is made different than mine, mine has a loop at the end of the cable and a button for it to go around on the latch, but thanks for trying to help I appreciate it.

I would like to do the same thing with my 1971 Duster...

-
Back