Insight on new '67 rear brake hose not fitting?

-

mrstangblb

Proud 1967 Dart Restorer!
Reaction score
I bought a Raybestos 24058 rear brake hose from Rock Auto to replace the old one on our '67 Dodge Dart 270/225 automatic. Come to find out it's not long enough to fit in the mounting hole and to reach for the back brakes. I actually bought 2 hoses before realizing we only needed one replacement, but either way, both of the hoses aren't the right size.

The previous mechanic that worked on the car for my Aunt just wired another brake hose into the mounting bracket and used the shorter hose, but it's not the safest alternative in the world by any means. We'd like to get one that actually fits.

Can anybody give me any help as to what hose to buy? My friend that's a mechanic tried to match them up the other day, too, and after ordering a couple and them not being the right size, either, we need some help. If anybody has run into this problem and can let me know what hose to get that will work, I sure would appreciate it!

Barry

I would suggest a call to The Right Stuff Detailing, as they do a lot of brakes for Mopars and should have the correct hose. I have run into this problem after changing out a 7 1/4" rear for an 8 3/4". The mounting location for the distribution block is different and the hose ended up being too short. I solved this problem by going to a mobile hydraulic hose maker that makes hoses for the consturction industry. They always have a variety of fittings and adapters for just about anything they may encounter in the field when making hoses for trucks, backhoes and other hydraulic applications. With the original hose in hand, one of these mobile guys should be able to help out either with a fitting or they should be able to manufacture a new hose right there for you. Hope this helps, Geof

wen I have trouble like this I take the hose to napa and tell the man I need a hose like this only 3inchs. longer he always finds one.......Artie

Not an answer, but the factory is not always, "right," either. In the ?late 70s? Dodge pickups came with hoses that were too short from the factory. This became evident when you see on on a hoist --the suspension is hanging at it's full extension, and the front hoses were "bent back" at a sharp angle tight against one of the fittings.

-
Back