Install MSD 6AL Ignition control with FiTech (new to all this!)

-

tx70dart

Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating the wires to make this work... and I'm new at this so...please help! According to the diagram I need to find the ignition wire and tach wire...how do I find those on my 1970 dart with a 318 V8...if you guys need pics of the engine bay setup let me know...

20190723_133850.jpg

That diagram is tough to read

First, with any CDI, (like the MSD) DO NOT hook ANYTHING to the coil except the two wires as shown coming from the CD box

The tach output is generated by the MSD, so refer to the destructions for the MSD, which is at their website.

By ignition, if you are talking about a feed to power up the MSD and EFI, this is a bit of a trick, and you need to understand how your car works "as original."

If you do not have them, go to MyMopar and download (free) service manual and wiring diagrams. The aftermarket wiring diagrams there are somewhat easier to digest than the factory manual sometimes, but they leave out options and sometimes connectors. So refer to the factory shop manual for connectors

Assuming your car was "bone stock" with breaker points ignition, you basically jumper the wires at the ballast resistor together, and pick up the original coil + wire. This now becomes your ignition feed.

HOW THIS WORKS

The ballast and ignition switch work together. There are TWO ignition sources both come from the key

1..."In start" the RUN (IGN1) goes DEAD. The only ignition source in "start" is the (usually brown) IGN2. This originally fed to the coil + end of the ballast, and provided direct battery to the coil for starting. SO THIS MUST BE JUMPERED (by jumpering the ballast wires together) so that you get EFI and MSD to work in "start"

2...In "run" now the ignition (was originally) fed by the usually dark blue. THIS IS THE ONLY switched 12V source under the hood for ignition, alternator field, the regulator, some smog doo dads depending on the year. THIS IS NOT FUSED so be careful

how do you do this: "jumper the wires at the ballast resistor together, and pick up the original coil + wire. This now becomes your ignition feed."

What do you mean? By the way please do not start more than one thread on the same question

You pull whatever wires off the ballast and remove it. Then connect those wires all together. That coil + wire will now feed to the MSD small red trigger wire and the trigger wire to the EFI It will NOT go to the coil as it once did.

If you don't have the full fitech instructions you should download from fitech website. They should be there. Same for the MSD box from them. Same for command center install. It appears from your diagram you have fitech without timing control.

Follow 67Dart273 recommendations above to get your 'run' power. I took mine right off the ignition switch but same thing when ballast is jumpered (and that wiring is closer). I added 15A fuse.

Here is what i did on my 63 for Fitech and similar to your drawing. Mine is Fitech 30002 with MSD 6AL.

Large red wire is main power and gets run direct from battery (or starter). Fitech recommends 25A fuse.
White wire is switched power (see above). This must be on when cranking and running.
Yellow/black goes to your temperature sensor on manifold.
Blue goes to your 'tach out' (gray wire) from your MSD box. Keep this one separate from other wiring to reduce interference. Sometimes shielding recommended.
Orange goes to positive on your command center.
Purple and green (if you have them) is not used if not controlling timing.
Black is not used.
Last and most difficult is o2 sensor.

You don't mention if the MSD is already installed. But, as 67Dart273 says, the coil gets wired only from the MSD box. Mine is black to negative and orange to positive side of the coil. Distributer is also wired to MSD box if it is a conventional 2 wire one (not HEI) and you are not controlling timing with fitech.

Download some electrical drawings for you car and mark them up as you go.

-
Back