Installing an American Autowire Classic update wiring harness

-
I wouldn’t use the generic kit that I have. I would buy the kit specifically for A bodies as well.

That's probably a good choice!

The only connector that was re-used from the original kit was for the wiper motor, the kit instructions want you to re-use part of that harness. Pretty much everything else is a stand alone, no extra parts needed. In fact, the A-body kit contains quite a bit of "extra" stuff, both wire and connectors. Part of that is just that all the wires are extra long so you can tailor your routing, the other part is that the kit covers like 67-76 so it has different packages for different years included, which provides even more wire and connectors for the unused year differences. If you don't have anything currently, there should still be enough extra wire and connectors to take care of the wiper motor, for example. And of course AA has additional connector kits, wiring packages etc if you want to get into it. I was able to make a whole harness for my fan controller with just leftover wire and connectors, very handy.

I just recently purchased this kit and read in the instructions that I can't use my 3 wire Toyota alternator that charges superbly at idle, even thought it's probably only 60 amps or so. In the instructions say to use a 1 wire self-regulated alternator. Anyone have a a recommendation on a good high amperage 1 wire alternator that can be retrofitted toa small block?

I just recently purchased this kit and read in the instructions that I can't use my 3 wire Toyota alternator that charges superbly at idle, even thought it's probably only 60 amps or so. In the instructions say to use a 1 wire self-regulated alternator. Anyone have a a recommendation on a good high amperage 1 wire alternator that can be retrofitted toa small block?
You should still be able to run that alternator, just add a few more wires for the regulator.

I chose the Classic Update from AAW because it was the highest rated and came with basically everything you need to rewire your car. I had to reuse my wiper switch connector, figure out my A/C wiring(the harness does not directly support A/C), re pin and add a connector to my wiper harness which was supplied… That’s about it. The rest was there, well labeled and fairly “easy” to figure out. As someone who’s relativity new to Mopars and not an electrical whiz, it was not as difficult as I imagined. After completing the rewire, I feel like I learned so much and now when I have electrical issues in the future, I’ll have better luck figuring it out without stress. My biggest take away from this rewire is the One Wire at a Time followed by one circuit at a time mentality and method simplifies the process and breaks it down to the basics.
Do you have a schematic or drawing of what you did to connect factory A/C to AAW kit? I'm almost done with AAW install, but still trying to figure out A/C connections.

I have a drawing from another post, and I'm wondering if I take power from AAW kit at the blower switch, and instead route to factory A/C connections, then from A/C to blower switch.

acwiring.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back