installing fuel sending unit.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok ive looked at the FSM in the General section and didnt see this and did a search but couldnt find anything conclusive. I have a new tank, new sending unit and new lock ring and seal. What steps do I need to take to install the sending unit. Also i dont have a lock ring tool what do yall use as a substitue?

for a makeshift lock ring tool you can use a screwdriver and a hammer.

I just changed mine on a 1965 Dodge Dart Convertible. It is easy especially if the tank is out of the car. Just line up everything and tap with a hammer and screwdriver.

Dont distort the ring or its samdwich like mounting on the tank. I use a piece of brass rod rather than a screwdriver. I tap lightly on different ears rather than repeatedly hit on just one of them.
No sealant is required or recommended there. Whether it leaks or not is a roll of the dice. Good luck

ok ive never taken one apart. The old tank was junk so I tossed everything beings i was going to 3/8 sending unit. Im guessing the sending unit goes in then the seal and the lock ring around it?

The rubber seal goes in first so it will be between the sending unit and the tank. If you have your old locking ring you might want to use it because the new ones are thinner and nearly all ways leak. Good Luck Ronnie

Ok fellas thanks for the replies. I don't have an original locking ring so the ill have to try the new one.

Sometimes I have to bend up the ears on the locking ring to get it tight, especially on the new ones. Some people use 2 gaskets, but I don't like that idea.

-
Back