installing my new stall converter

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
I just got a 2800 stall to put into my 904 and I also ordered a trans cooler but my question is do I need a aftermarket flex plate or will my stock one work? Thanks

That's the one thing I didn't check it did come with bolts but I'm not sure the size ill check after work..

I just recently went through this with rebuilding my 340 in my Dart. When I got the new torque converter they recommended an upgraded flex plate be used with it, so this is the one I went with. You can see the difference in construction between the old (gray) one and the (round) new one. Much beefier build.

Attachments

• torque converter.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 189
  • flex plate 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 191
  • flex plate 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 174
  • flex plate 3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 187
  • flex plate 4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 156
mp sells a sfi one also...

P4529751.gif

Lol I got that same converter pictured above but is it necessary to upgrade the flex plate and how much was that one 340 dart power

check the bolt hole size in the flex plate compared to the converter..stock flexplates are drilled for 5/16 threads....aftermarket converters generally use 7/16 thread size ...

so you can not get a 7/16 diameter bolt thru a 5/16 hole.......

You should also check those new bolts and make sure they will tighten up without bottoming out on the converter first.

also set the flexplate on the new converter and line up the bolt since one bolt is offset....and paint one lug with the flexplate so you you can get the bolts line up once it is in the car...

check the bolt hole size in the flex plate compared to the converter..stock flexplates are drilled for 5/16 threads....aftermarket converters generally use 7/16 thread size ...

can't you just make the hole bigger so they would fit

Sure you can.
First, put on some Barry White music in the background,
pour a glass of wine, and then...
Wait; we're talking car stuff here, right?
Never mind....

Ok I just found out my converter was for a 360 and it has weights on it what do I do to make it work for my 318

I have a 340/727 tranny in my Valiant and installed a 2800 stall converter this past Saturday. I have a mild cam and what a difference it has made with the idle at a stop light. It is much nicer to drive now. I would recomend this for anybody that has idleing problems. Jerry

-
Back