Installing one wire alternator

-
Another question I have, all these plugs go to the ‘big splice’ I call it. (The other end of of VR plug I’ll be removing, ballast resistor, choke, alternator plug.)
This splice is where I’ll be connecting the new Alternator’s 12 volt ignition switched source wire to, correct? This splice is active when the key is on engine running, but inactive when cranking?

And the 12 volt sense wire will go to the same battery lug on the starter relay.

0605B25D-2EDB-4828-BFB9-F0629D319EA6.jpeg
5D40DC69-7020-4357-8420-3C3762F73F4D.jpeg

This might get a little interesting when I start removing the electronic ignition/ballast resistor to use MSD ignition. I wanted to start with the alternator first. Maybe that was backwards.

The big thing you need to do when connecting "big" alternators--or really doing anything in that line--is to make sure the bulkhead connector terminals and the original wiring (if retained) is in good shape. Even though you are greatly reducing the strain on the bulkhead connector--by "shunting" the original ammeter--there is still current through the big black and big red wires--to feed loads in the pass. compartment.

Another question I have, all these plugs go to the ‘big splice’ I call it. (The other end of of VR plug I’ll be removing, ballast resistor, choke, alternator plug.)
This splice is where I’ll be connecting the new Alternator’s 12 volt ignition switched source wire to, correct? This splice is active when the key is on engine running, but inactive when cranking?

And the 12 volt sense wire will go to the same battery lug on the starter relay.

View attachment 1715855977 View attachment 1715855978

This might get a little interesting when I start removing the electronic ignition/ballast resistor to use MSD ignition. I wanted to start with the alternator first. Maybe that was backwards.

The basic thing about bypassing the ballast is to get all the wires connected together so that the bypass circuit still functions

You also want to insure the sense wire is connected to a good battery connection that does not see voltage drop. The starter relay "stud" should accomplish ;that.

In the future, it is WAY better not to tag onto an old thread. Things have a habit of getting confusing.

-
Back